Is Ableton Live 9.1.1 the most unstable version ever?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

dsan@mail.com wrote:Agreed! Definitely worth the effort just because of the program it is and I so enjoy working in Live. :D

Although, for me, BWS is solid and reliable too (to date).

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Have you explored deeper into Bitwig much?

So far, each area I dig deeper, I find a variety of issues.

It is hardly possible to record clips in the launcher cause there is no count-in. ooops...

When I start using automation with various VST's, many of them crash, as in just cannot automate them. ooops...

and so on...

[minirant]

I really HATE hosts :lol: They are so frustrating in what works, what doesn't, will it do this, will it do that, why won't this work, etc etc ETC.

This is why I'm kinda mean about bitwig. FFS, they had the opportunity to hit it out of the park and instead it's a fly ball.

So we all spend more time frackin' around than making music :bang: Yes, I'm really happy overall but there are things lacking in what I'm using and it's like OMG, FIX IT!!!!!!

There, I haven't done that in a while. Now back to using my necessary evils :hihi:

[/minirant]

dsan@mail.com wrote:I will honestly say I am guilty of not sending crash reports. It's too difficult the way they have it set up to make reports and my DAW computer is not on the internet.
Me too. I have to transfer to my office PC and send an e-mail from there. Because of the hassle, well over half of the recent crashes I couldn't be bothered to send. But now, I'm getting concerned, so they'll be getting every single one from now on.

Most of the crash reports seem to be around 500K. It's worth sending them a 'status report' too which Live will create automatically for you when you click 'get support' in the help menu.

Tony

pdxindy wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:Agreed! Definitely worth the effort just because of the program it is and I so enjoy working in Live. :D

Although, for me, BWS is solid and reliable too (to date).

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Have you explored deeper into Bitwig much?

So far, each area I dig deeper, I find a variety of issues.

It is hardly possible to record clips in the launcher cause there is no count-in. ooops...

When I start using automation with various VST's, many of them crash, as in just cannot automate them. ooops...

and so on...
Actually, I really only scratch the surface of what a DAW does. I mainly put together a clip of MIDI notes in a piano roll and then find a sound I think will go well. From there I edit the MIDI to the point it is what I am pleased to hear.

I seldom go beyond selecting a preset in my VST instruments. While I own a good number of powerful synths, I don't take the time to go deep into them; adjusting parameteres, creating my own sounds, etc. My day job eats up way too much time for me to actually be creative the way I plan to be in about 1000 days :hihi:

Once I get the tracks laid out and edited I take to the mix stage; bouncing to audio, adding the necessary FX, panning, volume automation, etc.

I am no where near as advanced as someone like your self - actaully, I think BWS would have done well to have had you as one of the beta testers based on the post you have made. TBH I don't know the difference between an LFO or a UFO :hihi:

So far, the main issues I have had with BW is the lack of MIDI support. If they would add MIDI FX like the Cakewalk CAL programs I would be most appreciative.

TBH I haven't had the time I would like to devote to actually getting a song laid out in BW to see what the audio capabilities are.

I will imagine once I have that time to really go deep into BWS I will find additional faults; however, maybe by then all these issues will be resolved.

BWS guys/gals are aware of the problems and are addressing these issues. The number of FR's is significant and overwhelming I'm sure. TBH many of the FR's should have already been in BW IMO, but who knows (except for Team BWS) the reasons why they are not included.

I am confident at some point BWS will be a very powerful and useful program. At least at this time it is evident the have genuine interest in making that so.

This is one of the main reasons I bought in. I believe in the product, I believe it will be a great DAW and I want to be supportive of the team.

In the meantime I live with the faults like I have with all the other DAWs and just use them the best I can. Each of them have their pluses and minuses. :D

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Synthbuilder wrote:Me too. I have to transfer to my office PC and send an e-mail from there. Because of the hassle, well over half of the recent crashes I couldn't be bothered to send. But now, I'm getting concerned, so they'll be getting every single one from now on.

Most of the crash reports seem to be around 500K. It's worth sending them a 'status report' too which Live will create automatically for you when you click 'get support' in the help menu.

Tony
Thanks Tony for that hint about status reports. Still, it's the same hassle to be able to send it so I doubt I will engage.

The Abes need to find a better way for reporting. Especially since they already know many of us do not have our DAW computer on the internet.

Not sure what that could be though. :shrug:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

:neutral: I gotta say that after testing Bitwig for the last week Live is like a "real" DAW. The most important features in Bitwig that set it apart from others are broken, and just do not work. I'm a little surprised that this was tested as long as it was and these things don't work. I'm using the Mac demo 1.0.6 and it's unusable… I hope they get it sorted out, as it would be really cool if so, but now it's a beta…

Arghhh!

DHR53 wrote::neutral: I gotta say that after testing Bitwig for the last week Live is like a "real" DAW. The most important features in Bitwig that set it apart from others are broken, and just do not work. I'm a little surprised that this was tested as long as it was and these things don't work. I'm using the Mac demo 1.0.6 and it's unusable… I hope they get it sorted out, as it would be really cool if so, but now it's a beta…

Arghhh!
I'm still playing/testing Bitwig cause I quite like the general structure... but like you, I am surprised how many issues there are... especially with basic stuff...

I recommend (not that they need to listen to me) that Bitwig drop the whole collaborative feature for v2 because there are many core functions that need fixing/adding/improving. As is, Bitwig is a rough beta. I feel for the Bitwig guys... they must be feeling an intense pressure.

pdxindy wrote:....... I feel for the Bitwig guys... they must be feeling an intense pressure.
Especially from Team KVR ;)
pdxindy wrote:....that Bitwig drop the whole collaborative feature for v2 because there are many core functions that need fixing/adding/improving.
Probably a good idea.

Unless there was never any plan to go that direction.

I mean, it's pretty obvious they want BWS to be as different as it can be to the current crop of DAW's. Sure, some things must remain the same.

I think the comments I see most often here are "Ableton does this - Ableton does that. Valid comments don't get me wrong. Because this is what we are used to.

But I think Team Bitwig has a completely different plan for Bitwig Studio than how we are all accustomed to using a DAW.

They'll get it there and I'm looking forward to that day ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

dsan@mail.com wrote:
pdxindy wrote:....that Bitwig drop the whole collaborative feature for v2 because there are many core functions that need fixing/adding/improving.
Probably a good idea.

Unless there was never any plan to go that direction.
Happy Musiking!
dsan
Bitwig announced the collaborative thing for v2 a long time ago...

dsan@mail.com wrote:
pdxindy wrote:....... I feel for the Bitwig guys... they must be feeling an intense pressure.
Especially from Team KVR ;)
Happy Musiking!
dsan
That means from users... and that pressure is, for the most part, warranted

hibidy wrote:[minirant]

I really HATE hosts :lol: They are so frustrating in what works, what doesn't, will it do this, will it do that, why won't this work, etc etc ETC.

This is why I'm kinda mean about bitwig. FFS, they had the opportunity to hit it out of the park and instead it's a fly ball.

So we all spend more time frackin' around than making music :bang: Yes, I'm really happy overall but there are things lacking in what I'm using and it's like OMG, FIX IT!!!!!!

There, I haven't done that in a while. Now back to using my necessary evils :hihi:

[/minirant]
This is why I am going to logic with factory effects + just one tone 2 synth and nexus, will never have an issue, and just one or two known ultra stable AU fx, and reason rewired into it. Will never have a crash again.

Live definitely does seem more stable than BW here though...and un-stretched clips are completely broken in bitwig which is a big thing..

Just interesting to read so many reports from other about BW problems.. this is why i don't have faith things will get better.. isn't it fair to assume that if the development time was so long, yet such a simple host as a result can not even be stable (also makes you wonder, did most of the beta testers just load it once and play with it and never bothered to test it thoroughly?).. i mean.. all that time and their special selected team should have allowed a program with such basic features to be rock solid, no? I don't get it. (nor do i get some blind faith I am seeing). Time will tell, i hope i am wrong.

dsan@mail.com wrote:I think the comments I see most often here are "Ableton does this - Ableton does that. Valid comments don't get me wrong. Because this is what we are used to.

But I think Team Bitwig has a completely different plan for Bitwig Studio than how we are all accustomed to using a DAW.

They'll get it there and I'm looking forward to that day ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Uhhh... sorry, but Bitwig is a DAW... it has tracks, midi, mixing, fx, meters, recording, etc. The reason we can just start using it is because it functions 90% the same as every other DAW... there is nothing completely different about it.

And of course it gets compared to Ableton Live cause it is a direct competitor of Live. It is the DAW as performance oriented workstation with non-linear workflow that is the niche of Live and now Bitwig.

hibidy wrote:Really? Hmmmmmmm. Now I dunno what to do :lol:
Oh it is far from perfect/ideal mate, On my setup it takes around a minute to boot to say it is loading the template set and as my template set is pretty complex so that part takes around 20 or 30 seconds, Then once it is open the Toontrack stuff I have in it ready to go takes however long it takes to load up the drum kits

Just that time is way better than it was before Chris my friend FWIW/in context

All the best as always :)

pdxindy wrote:
DHR53 wrote::neutral: I gotta say that after testing Bitwig for the last week Live is like a "real" DAW. The most important features in Bitwig that set it apart from others are broken, and just do not work. I'm a little surprised that this was tested as long as it was and these things don't work. I'm using the Mac demo 1.0.6 and it's unusable… I hope they get it sorted out, as it would be really cool if so, but now it's a beta…

Arghhh!
I'm still playing/testing Bitwig cause I quite like the general structure... but like you, I am surprised how many issues there are... especially with basic stuff...

I recommend (not that they need to listen to me) that Bitwig drop the whole collaborative feature for v2 because there are many core functions that need fixing/adding/improving. As is, Bitwig is a rough beta. I feel for the Bitwig guys... they must be feeling an intense pressure.
I wonder how the collab thing's is working for ohm force? I think it's a niche that applies more to non-electronic genres, bands, studio environments - who are probably more likely to use "traditional" hosts like pro-tools, but who knows? A lot of the wig's market (EDM, etc.) seems feels more akin to writing, painting - it's a solo activity; or at most usually 2 or 3 people.

I any case I feel for Bitwig also - they are a version 1 competing with a lot of mature product, not the least of which is Live 9 which addressed quite a bit of issues/features - not perfect, but damn close (and it has been very stable for me, at least on the Mac - haven't spent enough time on my Windows machine).

I'm probably done demoing bitwig for now - i appreciate how fast they've been updating but it's right now it feels like I'm fighting it to do the most basic tasks.

Yeah, I don't "feel" for them at all. Harsh fact, they split thinking that they could do it better. Took a long time, and for seasoned users it's incomplete and for some buggy. I also don't think they are going to starve ;)

In fact I look at it a little bit like a joke. We waited all this time for THIS? Frankly I expected more. :shrug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”