Nothing

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nothing.
Last edited by Jedinhopy on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedinhopy wrote:Quantize does not work.
If the notes are so far out of sync that quantize doesn't work, then it's a manual job moving the notes onto their correct position on the grid. Should take just a minute or so for a couple of bars. Copy-paste repetitions to speed up the process.

If the majority of notes are placed early or late after quantising, you could try first move the whole clip by a fraction on the timeline to compensate.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Jedinhopy wrote:The program would first use midi gate to record note pitch and then play it back with accumulator.
This sentence makes no sense.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I can see a number of reasons for timing of recorded notes being off:
a) daw does not support automatic delay compensation and place notes according to how large asio buffers are being used and plugins loaded that cause delay etc.

Some hosts do this automatically for audio, but not for midi.
Anyway, bypassing unnecessary plugins for doing the take can help.
If keeping asio roundtrip latency below 10ms would make delay not noticable.

b) your playing isn't better than that, listening to the metronome while playing
Playing an instrument live is more than playing notes in the right order.

What possibly could make quantize not working - would be a mystery though.
Many daws have automatic quantize on input, placing notes on the grid right away.
Other have this ability in the midi editor by selecting notes and perform quantize.

My assumption is that you are not doing quantize according to how that midi editor is supposed to work.

Most midi editors also allow you to select the full track/clip of notes and just drag them on the grid manually.

What program are you talking about? Did you play along with the click?

whyterabbyt wrote:
Jedinhopy wrote:The program would first use midi gate to record note pitch and then play it back with accumulator.
The program should be a standalone application exe file or batch script a bat file to accumulate midi notes.
Now all midi notes should have the exact same length. Start one after one after each other. Just like classic step sequencers where all notes are close to each other. All with the same duration.

quantise the length of all note and move them manually with your mouse

Jedinhopy wrote:The program should be a standalone application exe file or batch script.
Most of the world doesn't agree. It's just a function within your DAW / Midi editor. If there's a particular reason why the quantize in your DAW / Midi editor flukes, better work on that!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Jedinhopy wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
The program should be a standalone application exe file or batch script a bat file to accumulate midi notes.
Now all midi notes should have the exact same length. Start one after one after each other. Just like classic step sequencers where all notes are close to each other. All with the same duration.
Use MIDICSV to convert your MIDI file to a CSV format text file, process the text file, convert it back.

Since each midi note is actually a combination of two events, a note-on and note-off, you'll need to match them properly to modify the overall note length.

If you dump them into a spreadsheet, you can probably manipulate the time columns quite easily. (ie H3=H2+1) To make that easier, it'd be better if there were no overlapping notes.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/midicsv/

Next time, though, use a host with step input.

Jedinhopy wrote: I have played the right notes in the right order.

maybe your computer disagrees.
or is a jazz fan and likes the timing.
can you converse with your computer and come to an agreement on the order and timing of not just the notes but the atoms in the universe? id like to know if its worth arranging a night out on saturday, but this depends on the molecular interference caused by the quarks on my beer.

whyterabbyt wrote:Next time, though, use a host with step input.
My DAW record even when i am not preesing a button. So if i play a melody on the computer keyboard and then stop playing and waiting/thinking which note i should play next. Random empty chunks between notes is recorded. :(

My DAW does not have step recording nor step counting.

I am guessing you haven't learned how to use your DAW yet. Care to tell us which one it is?

Another classic Jedinhoppy thread. :hihi:

Jedinhopy wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Next time, though, use a host with step input.
My DAW record even when i am not preesing a button. So if i play a melody on the computer keyboard and then stop playing and waiting/thinking which note i should play next. Random empty chunks between notes is recorded. :(

My DAW does not have step recording nor step counting.
Next time, though, use a host with step input.

I only use FL STUDIO.

Which does have step input. I wouldn't know that but I found tutorials in like two seconds using the google. "It helps to be a great player of course but it’s far from essential with FL Studio’s step input mode and... "

but yeah, do waste our screen space (or provide us more of your unintentional comedy routine) talking about nothing as if it's a question for the group.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”