Steinberg USB dongle on a USB hub

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Had mine for years on a passive USB2 hub, along with a second Elicenser USB key and an iLok1.
Worked like a charm.

With my current rig (and pretty much a lot of USB ports), I don't ned a passive hub anymore.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I have mine on a cheap USB non-powered job with 2 Vienna Keys. The Steinberg license has never balked, sometimes the elicenser believes the VSL licenses are missing but that's software and tends to mean elicenser has to be re-upped.

I can confirm problems. I have a Steinberg USB dongle that works:
  • Correctly when plugged directly into my macbook pro
  • Correctly when plugged into a Belkin 4 port usb2 unpowered hub
  • Does NOT WORK when plugged into an expensive Targus 7 port usb3 powered hub (USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with Fast Charging). Very disappointing. When I attempt to open Cubase it says no valid license found, cubase will close.
PS. An unrelated, but bonus rant about my frustration with Macbooks and USB hubs. If i take the power cord out of my Targus USB hub, my external seagate drive works correctly. When i plug the power cord in, my macbook can't see it.

EoN604 wrote:I can confirm problems. I have a Steinberg USB dongle that works:
  • Correctly when plugged directly into my macbook pro
  • Correctly when plugged into a Belkin 4 port usb2 unpowered hub
  • Does NOT WORK when plugged into an expensive Targus 7 port usb3 powered hub (USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with Fast Charging). Very disappointing. When I attempt to open Cubase it says no valid license found, cubase will close.
PS. An unrelated, but bonus rant about my frustration with Macbooks and USB hubs. If i take the power cord out of my Targus USB hub, my external seagate drive works correctly. When i plug the power cord in, my macbook can't see it.
Yes, Targus hubs are absolute junk! I just had a problem two nights ago with my Steinberg eLicenser and it turned out to be the Targus USB 3.0 powered hub (the fancy one with the hi-powered charging port for a fancy price). One of more of the ports goes in and out causing the computer to make the sound as if a USB device was connected and reconnected.

It's worth mentioning that I used USBDview to find out what USB device was going on/offline:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the download links. Tip: use the 32-bit version if the 64-bit version hangs when the device cuts in and out. I don't know why the 32-bit version works better for that case, but it just does.

Anyway, Belkin and Anker are my recommended brand for powered hubs. I've never had a problem with any Belkin or Anker device I've purchased.

Passive hubs work just fine too and in some ways are a little more reliable but you don't need to plug the hub with the power source unless you need to power a device. Simple plug the hub to the respective port and it should just work, without the power supply.

Thanks for rebooting this thread.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Mathematics wrote: Yes, Targus hubs are absolute junk! I just had a problem two nights ago with my Steinberg eLicenser and it turned out to be the Targus USB 3.0 powered hub (the fancy one with the hi-powered charging port for a fancy price).

Anyway, Belkin and Anker are my recommended brand for powered hubs. I've never had a problem with any Belkin or Anker device I've purchased.
Thank you for this! I've been looking far and wide for answers to this issue, you're the first person to confirm this. I went and forked out for what I assumed would be a solid Targus hub given the high price tag but turns out it was a bad gamble and that Targus hubs are rubbish. At least I know I wasn't going crazy. I will go buy a Belkin or Anker.

Mathematics, do you have any recommendation when it comes to opting for USB3 vs USB2 hubs? It seems most audio devices are USB2 (such as my MOTU Ultralite + Virus TI and controllers/keyboard/mice). Would getting a USB3 be more trouble than it's worth? I'd assumed it was the USB3 factor that was the issue - but now it seems it's the Targus hub specifically.

Thanks again.

EoN604 wrote:Mathematics, do you have any recommendation when it comes to opting for USB3 vs USB2 hubs? It seems most audio devices are USB2 (such as my MOTU Ultralite + Virus TI and controllers/keyboard/mice). Would getting a USB3 be more trouble than it's worth? I'd assumed it was the USB3 factor that was the issue - but now it seems it's the Targus hub specifically.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the kind words. I actually hesitated posting my experience with the Targus hub on such an old thread, but I have found more often than not, every experience is worth documenting because there were times that even the most insignificant experience someone had with any product, provided just enough for me to find a solution to my problem. Anyway...

So USB2 or USB3? From years of experience of trying to choose between two things, I just buy both so I have options. If I had to choose, I would opt for a powered USB3.0 hub because it is backwards compatible as long as it is plugged into a USB3.0 port to begin with and the powered version ensures that it behaves like a repeater when you plug in a device with a long cable.

Put your pitchforks and torches down for a second...with some USB2.0 devices plugged into a USB3.0 hub I've heard of drop-outs and devices mysteriously disconnecting but all is resolved when the device is plugged in directly to the USB2.0 port. Well, most likely that person used a passive hub (one with no power adapter).

Another argument is such that USB2.0 cable lengths can extend up to 5 meters (16ft) while USB3.0 extend 3 meters and due to the cable length limitation, there may be drops-outs. Personally, I don't buy it...I believe instead, that it could be the resistance in the cable and yes, longer lengths would then add to the total resistance in that case. Anyway, that would explain why plugging the device directly into the USB port works and why a powered hub is mostly better (with the chance that you get a defective unit and it catches on fire. It's happened to me! Not with a hub though...some other Chinese gizmo).

So, in short...I would suggest getting both USB2.0 and 3.0 hubs. Sure, it costs more but I'm assuming we all have real jobs and can afford a quality $20-$40 hub made by Anker or Belkin. Besides, if you had to troubleshoot a problem, you'd have the luxury of having a second hub to plug into for testing.
Last edited by Mathematics on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't really get the elevation of Belkin as a brand. My experience with them is that they are just overpriced and overpackaged versions of the same cheapies that I tend to buy. I have an "Aluratek" on one machine and a "Gear Head" on the other, both powered, both Frys super discounted deals, I think less than $10 each. Never had a problem with either one of them with my Steinberg key or my iLok. I have another little Aluratek four port portable that all of my dongles for my main machine are plugged into so that I can just move the dongles around as a unit and this saves from plugging and unplugging the dongles directly and avoids wear and tear on the dongle connections. It's unpowered, never had a problem.

On USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0. I have some 3.0 hubs for drives, but, for everyday controllers I prefer cheapie 2.0 only hugs. They seem to be tried and tested technology and I have never encountered a bandwidth issue with dongles and midi controllers. So, I have one in front of each of my machines. The 3.0 hubs tend to hid behind the monitors.

I will say that port wear and tear is the the thing that seems to wear these things out. I have two controllers that both work fine except for janky USB ports that make them disconnect at inopportune times. So I like buying cheap hubs so that I don't care about throwing them away every few years (3 to 5) or so.

ghettosynth wrote:I don't really get the elevation of Belkin as a brand.
I still don't consider them to be on the same level as Sony or Samsung but for hubs, they've never let me down. I've owned 2 powered USB2.0 hubs for about 10 years and have 2 iLoks and 1 eLicenser connected and haven't had any issues.

Personally, I try to avoid buying cheap for things I need for work or school. I'm not rich or anything like that but I just don't really see the point in buying cheap knock off products with which I use for work or school. The only reason I bought the Targus hub was because I saw a lot of people buying it from an eBay seller and thought it must be a decent product because I know they make good luggage. Well, I guess I was mistaken...so now I know better than to buy Targus electronics.

Anyway, from my experience, I prefer to buy something I need, once; unless a new version with more value to me comes out. For everything else, if I can't get it at the 99 cent store, then I'll try to get it on eBay, then Fry's. So, I'd rather drop a few extra dollars and get better quality. It doesn't guarantee performance as you've seen, only improves its probability for it. That's it.

There's just too much junk out there to choose from and even the "more expensive so it must be good" items are complete garbage most of the time. So, I guess we all have to help each other figure out what NOT to buy. I can tell you that I will never buy another Targus brand electronic device ever again.

So, to your point, even the cheapest "janky" devices prove to be good because you confirm it. I will now be more inclined to buy your suggested device before going blindly and trusting a pretty glossy box.

I can compare electronic devices to woman in this way: I don't know which one will satisfy my needs, but I can tell which one won't.

So, experiment and discover.
Last edited by Mathematics on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mathematics wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I don't really get the elevation of Belkin as a brand.
I still don't consider them to be on the same level as Sony or Samsung but for hubs, they've never let me down. I've owned 2 powered USB2.0 hub for about 10 years and have 2 iLoks and 1 eLicenser connected and haven't had any issues.

Personally, I try to avoid buying cheap for things I need for work or school. I'm not rich or anything like that but I just don't really see the point in buying cheap knock off products with which I use for work or school.
I have had lots of problems with Belkin products. I'm not sure that I'm being clear here. What makes you think that they're special? They've sold you on a brand name that does nothing remarkably different from any other made in china electronics.

That's what I don't get, why do you think that they're special? As far as I can tell, they're using the same chip sets as everyone else but spending more on packaging and marketing.

I never said they were special or ever implied it. I simply stated that my experience with them has been good so far.

ghettosynth wrote:I have had lots of problems with Belkin products. I'm not sure that I'm being clear here. What makes you think that they're special? They've sold you on a brand name that does nothing remarkably different from any other made in china electronics.

That's what I don't get, why do you think that they're special? As far as I can tell, they're using the same chip sets as everyone else but spending more on packaging and marketing.
I can only speak from my own experience, and currently the cheaper Belkin 4 port usb2 unpowered hub I have performs more consistently and with more stability than the expensive powered Targus hub mentioned above. This indicates clearly Targus and Belkin aren't using the same chip sets. So ultimately what I'm after is experiences of brands that have worked with people. Do you have any other specific recommendations? I don't want to go fork out for a no-name brand hoping it has the same "chip sets as everyone else" only to find it fails like the Targus one.

My positive experience plus Mathematics positive experience is putting Belkin in the lead for me so far.

EoN604 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I have had lots of problems with Belkin products. I'm not sure that I'm being clear here. What makes you think that they're special? They've sold you on a brand name that does nothing remarkably different from any other made in china electronics.

I can only speak from my own experience, and currently the cheaper Belkin 4 port usb2 unpowered hub I have performs more consistently and with more stability than the expensive powered Targus hub mentioned above. This indicates clearly Targus and Belkin aren't using the same chip sets. So ultimately what I'm after is experiences of brands that have worked with people. Do you have any other specific recommendations? I don't want to go fork out for a no-name brand hoping it has the same "chip sets as everyone else" only to find it fails like the Targus one.

My positive experience plus Mathematics positive experience is putting Belkin in the lead for me so far.

If I wasn't clear, the same line of reasoning applies to Targus. What makes you think that it's a good brand to begin with? BTW: It doesn't at all indicate that they aren't using the same chip sets, it could be any number of differences, including other factors not specifically related to the brand or even the model.

I don't buy based on brand. There is a chance that any brand will fail or not work reliably for any number of reasons. I buy from places with a great return policy so I can just take it right back and try something else.

For things like dongles though, I think that I identified what you want in a sense. You want a simple, no bells and whistles hub that is going to be using tried and true chip sets that have been cranked out by the millions. So avoid anything fancy with some hip bs that is just going to be something else to go wrong. It's like buying a car with mechanical windows and no cruise control. (Well, it's like that use do be, you can't do that anymore).

This is what my dongles are plugged into.

I got it because it was small and on sale.

My Cubase 9.0 license won't work on USB 3.0 hub (asus motherboard)
I have two 3.0 and on 2.0 usb ports.
Usb 2.0 port is already used by some specific device :(

I have the Steinberg usb attached to this one (in addition to another thumb drive which acts as Waves licenses USB, and Steam controller usb):
https://www.wavlink.com/en/product/108.html
I don't have any problem with it :)

I have a cheapo generic passive 4 port USB2 hub that I bought from Woolworths. I have my eLicencer with a ton of software including Steinberg stuff, my propellerhead ignition key, my Access Virus TI2 and an Akai APC Mini. All perform without a problem which surprised me that it powers the APC as well with no problems. A solid $4 investment there ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”