Avid -even more scary info....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From Forbes: (but still opinion)
My guess is that even if Avid were to fail, Pro Tools would survive in some form, given its huge installed base across the various sectors of the audio industry. The problem is, is there a company within the industry that’s both large enough and healthy enough to acquire it were it to become available?
The Avid saga is just another example of a technology company in a small market that’s based around creative professionals. A company like this has no business being public in the first place as it’s growth will be capped by the market size sooner or later. A public company is more beholden to its stockholders than its customers, especially when things go bad, which is a bad recipe when it comes to the entertainment industry.===

Also know PT is a small piece of the Avid pie. I would guess almost every major Hollywood and TV production uses Avid.

A smart person wouldn't buy PT, but Avid at $6.00 a share which is a steal..................

osiris wrote:The problem is, is there a company within the industry that’s both large enough and healthy enough to acquire it were it to become available?
Yes, there is a huge one: > APPLE! :hyper: :D
Why not trash all of Avids AAX-crap and convert it to AU?

Davy Jones locker is cold, and the ship is going down. God save my keyboard! :pray: :wink: :lol:

Delfinoverde wrote:
osiris wrote:The problem is, is there a company within the industry that’s both large enough and healthy enough to acquire it were it to become available?
Yeah, great idea. I'm sure that making PT a Mac-only application and losing much/most of its customer base will solve all its problems and in no way affect sales of Logic, Apple's flagship DAW. :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

osiris wrote:Also know PT is a small piece of the Avid pie. I would guess almost every major Hollywood and TV production uses Avid.
Yeah. The new strategy seems to be an attempt to lock it all down. Makes sense, the strategy.
Avid at $6.00 a share which is a steal..................
Dunno. Maybe a good bet for day traders or short term investors. It will probably spike for a minute the day they get back on Nasdaq so the traders who got in at $4 or whatever a few days ago (whatever that low was) will probably make out if they're watching it regularly and can sell at the right time.

Otherwise, I'm not so sure they'll ever see $10-15-20+ a share again. It's only a steal if you think it will rise substantially.

Delfinoverde wrote:
Apple wouldn't buy Avid as they already have competing product lines. The only company I can think of that has done that is autocad that brought Maya and 3dsmax. Avid will most likely stay private and not get re listed as it is a lot more flexible.

tonkatodd wrote:Avid will most likely stay private and not get re listed as it is a lot more flexible.
Why would you think that when they have already explicitly & publicly said to their investors that they plan to be back Nasdaq as soon as they sort out their accounting?

The most likely scenario is that they'll intentionally beat the estimate of "mid year" for doing that. I can't imagine that they've underestimated that after 9 months of looking it over,

vurt wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:
VitaminD wrote:Bottomer bottom line: Avid employees must lurk here. I wonder who else does? :wheee:
Apple ... no doubt others. It's to be expected on a board like this where people discuss high profile products!

Peace,
Andy.

also, id imagine one or two people who work for audio related companies might have an interest in the products as a hobby and may just be "members" like the rest of us.
or we could go down the "we're being spied upon!" route as it helps us feel important...
I used to work for AVID and I was much more active here at the time. I was no spy for AVID. Sure, I would tell my managers about how people on our forums felt about the products, not for any nefarious reasons but because I wanted them to be aware of public opinion. So they weren't operating within a vacuum.
I was not, however a rep for that company, so I did not discuss my role at AVID, publicly.

I think some folks are reading way too much into this. There is too little information to come to any conclusion about the state of that company or it's finances. Sure we all like to play the speculation game but AVID is a publicly traded company (with share holders who may be members here), so it's in their best interest to (at least try to) take control of the public's perception of them. :)

rcat wrote:Davy Jones locker is cold, and the ship is going down. God save my keyboard! :pray: :wink: :lol:
There is a branch office beneath the Bermuda Triangle,
that is significantly warmer :-o

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
VitaminD wrote:Bottomer bottom line: Avid employees must lurk here. I wonder who else does? :wheee:
Apple ... no doubt others. It's to be expected on a board like this where people discuss high profile products!

Peace,
Andy.
In that case, Apple sucks these days... as they dumb things down... I upgraded to the new Pages and the main feature is that they took stuff out! Stupid me for assuming that an upgrade wouldn't actually be a downgrade.

I don't care about Avid at all cause I use none of their products

If Avid or competitors have been running with tight margins, or a loss,
for the last few years, their beancounters are well aware
that the ACA hammer is about to fall, and will crush them.
Fearless Leader can only tamper with/delay 'established law'
so many times, before the clock strikes twelve.

Large companies will morph into subsidiaries each with
49 or fewer employess, to duck the 'free' healthcare bullet,
or their non-1337 employees hours will drop from 40+ to 29-

It's simple math, successful people forced by law
to support the unsuccessful, with daw/software/hardware
businesses squarely in the crosshairs, with everyone else. :(

Syn Predicts: Autodesk To Purchase Avid and Fold Video Editing into Maya and 3DS Max! ProTools to become "3D Audio Studio"! Cats And Dogs Living Together!

Also, A Rain Of Toads! :-o
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”