Logic Pro X first note latency

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Graham I don't think there is any "etiquette" problem with linking to the post and the topic is definitely worthy of it's own.
Wish i could help you with it though, but there are definitely members here who use multiple comps with VSL so hopefully someone can help.

I had this issue on and off for sometime now, and i figured it out, all you have to do is go in Logic to Logic/Preferences/Audio and do the following:
Process Buffer Range: Medium
ReWire Behaviour : Playback Mode.

I had problems playing the first note when i accidentally turned off ReWire, and Had my Process Buffer Range set to High, this caused the first note played on any virtual instrument (even internal Logic instruments) to be delayed when recording or playing.

find the attachment below with the settings that will fix this issue.
Hope it helps guys :)

Adel Hakki
Music Producer
The Sound Factory Recording Studio
Cairo-Egypt

Setup:
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB Ram
MOTU 896HD
AKAI MPK88
Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 18.50.54.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thanks for the info :)
#PassionForHappiness

I am having the same first note latency issue and it is EXTREMELY annoying. The problem is I know there are people that don't get this first note latency at all. The logic manual points out that there will be first note latency and to work around it you should hit the sustain pedal or mod wheel, but that doesn't work. I still get the first note latency. Also, when I use the macbook keyboard instead of my usb keyboard there is no first note latency. None of this makes sense and it seems like there is no answer for this issue. I tried contacting Akai support because I am using an Akai MPK49 USB controller keyboard. They haven't responded. At this point I'm thinking about getting another USB controller or borrowing a friends to test if that issue is related directly to the controller. If anyway has any other fixes please let me know. I've tried all of the ones in this thread. I'm using Logic Pro 9 on Mountain Lion.

It's there whatever soundcard or controller I use. I think that's just the way Logic works. Maybe it stops processing a track when there is long inactivity and reactivating it with realtime midi notes takes time. Yes it's annoying.

*But changing Process Buffer/Rewire Behaviour as posted above seem to improve it.
"when you have nothing to say - shut up." -A friend of Luc Besson

Those settings didn't help.. Is there anyone that doesn't experience this latency issue at all? If so what is your setup?

I'm not sure if I got the same thing. In the first couple sessions after installing LX, when cycling, the first notes of some (not all) instruments didn't play. Not a latency, just missing.

The funny thing is, the last couple months I haven't encountered that issue. And I have absolutely no clue why.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I've experienced this issue in all versions of Logic and Garageband I've ever used. It must be something about the way the engine is designed and how it instantiates a new instrument into the Core Audio driver.

Its a problem with Logic not being very forgiving on first note occurrences. If you are just a ....weeeeee bit.....off the timing of "zero" it won't intelligently nudge the note forward. It's been one of my main peeves about Logic, along with it having an primordial audio engine. It seems like this would be such a easy programming fix. It would take Apple about .zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeting. dollars to make Logic an awesome program. I just wonder if the Logic team is that part of Apple where are the dorks get banished too. The guys that don't even get invited to the company picnics.

If I were Tim Cook, I would split off from the pro apps and let them be a separately operating entity. That way they could stop the secret squirrel stuff that goes on right now and actually engage with their users. Pros.....and the Pretenders....you know who you are....are a TOTALLY different crowd. Small, weird....but VERY INFLUENTIAL,

Ok, reboot pedestal program :)
SpiderMix
Custom Built MacPro (SpiderMac) Intel Q9450-OC 3.5ghz, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB Hard Drive, Dual 24" LCD Monitors, Focusrite Saffire Audio Interface, Axiom 61 Controller, Roland Fantom G7 Workstation.

Damn I guess it's just something I'm going to have to get used to. At least I know it's not my setup.

I noticed that when you start playing a software instrument a little volume bar icon appears next to the track name. When that bar is active there is no latency, but within a few seconds of silence from the midi controller the icon disappears and the cycle repeats.

There is an option for audio called Punch on the Fly. When enabled Logic is constantly buffering and anticipating an incoming audio signal so that when you manually punch in there is no delay in recording. I wish there was something similar for midi.

Hopefully they'll fix the issue in future versions. I find it funny that a program designed to capture live performances could have such a huge flaw, but I guess that's why Logic isn't the industry standard.

I've had a similar issue that I just solved yesterday. Pardon me in advance if you've already tried this.

I opened up a fresh project in LPX, added two Software tracks (Kontakt and OmniSphere). I recorded a four bar track and copied the midi to the second track. I recorded at 1, so the previous shifting to 3rd bar may be the trick I'll try next.

Upon replay, logic would always skip the first notes played (in my case a chord). I quantized to 1/4 notes and then it started playing. I'm wondering if during the count-in, I played before the 1 bar, Logic picked up the notes (but couldn't play them).

I just opened my project from yesterday and was able to replicate and fix my issue by doing the quantize. I tested by turning quantize off on each track where one would play and the other would not.

I've been noticing this problem as well.I have Logic Pro X on my Yosemite partition. If you open the electronic template and record some midi for the first track the first note is always skipped providing you're playing it on the first beat of the bar. But I noticed this with some of the other tracks as well. But if you play your cable before recording first before recording it seems okay. But it's pretty poor and I don't remember this happening when I used to use Logic up to version 5 before I switched to Samplitude (which doesn't have any problems like this is).
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”