Why do people even buy Samplitude?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Samplitude Music Studio X8 Samplitude Pro X

The question is in the thread. Every DAWs are same practically. Offering nothing special why is Samplitude priced around 1k and people go ahead and buy it? Can anyone explain please? I have been always curious about it.

The developers asked themselves the same question over a year ago, and lowered their prices accordingly. :wink:

They might want to ask themselves the same question again and plug in the new number. Not that I care, being on a Mac.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

mewthree wrote:The question is in the thread. Every DAWs are same practically. Offering nothing special why is Samplitude priced around 1k and people go ahead and buy it? Can anyone explain please? I have been always curious about it.
You realise that some people buy things according to the value it has to them, not the cost.

Compared to the cost of, say, a couple of high-end microphones and preamps, the difference in cost between any two DAWs becomes relatively moot to someone who makes their livilhood off those tools.

And anyway, what difference does it make to you? If other stuff is practically the same, use that other stuff. Is this just an exercise in inverse snobbery?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Samplitude have quite generous crossgrade from other products - that could be one reason.

But for me I don't agree with the way of working in Samplitude ProX that I tried.
And it crashed like crazy with Waves Element - that it's said to support.

It's also something about how they update their products - or not.
Independence Pro have updates, but they did not bother to make an installer for the latest build.
You have to manually find and replace a handful of dll's.
Never encountered that anywhere else.

So Magix as a vendor - I don't know.
But very responsive support and helpful people otherwise.
I would like to give them my money - but no.

IMO Price is still relative to native features offered.

Samplitude still has other embedded features that the other DAWs don't.... and vice versa....
It also has had native features for a long time that some other DAWs have just added over the past several years, or that the '3rd party' plugin developers have offered stand-alone.

It's a 20+ year old program, so it's been evolving.

...and it's still priced close to the other DAWS out there - especially with cross-grades.
You can also just grab Samplitude Music Studio for cheap and get a good, basic scaled-down object editor (amongst other things).

There are still many requests in to the Magix dev. team to upgrade and/or 'finish' native features that have been in the program since the beginning.

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

flugel45 wrote:The developers asked themselves the same question over a year ago, and lowered their prices accordingly. :wink:
LOL!

ditto about the crossgrades, I got samplitude in 2007 for 399usd...a no questions asked crossgrade at that. At that time Samp was 1,100 dollars, however you are mixing up the price...you get every feature of samplitude pro x suite with the exception of some of the fx, no vandal and no indy pro. Samplitude Pro X is 499 list price (but pro audio toys and florida music often has sales). Not everyone wants indy pro or needs it (not to mention the bad rap yellow tools gave themselves before amgix bought them out) and not everyone wants the pluggins in the suite and that is what you pay an extra 500 dollars for.

Last upgrade there was uproar when they made the division between pro x and pro x suite, customers would have lost the suite fx, dp and indy pro but they heard their customers and resolved that. Their upgrade prices could be cheaper but then they do not do the once a year thing...when I bought mine in 2007 it was Samplitude 9 Pro, Samplitude Pro X is technically Samplitude 12 pro, so it could all balance out but tbh I never really compared their release dates to others), However I think it is important to note that I never jumped on the 'upgrade right away' wagon and in fact didn't upgrade to samp 10 until samp 11 was out (which again tbh was a very short period of time between upgrades) and I stayed with that long after pro x came out, it wasn't until I got a new machine with 64 bit that I upgraded for 64 bit support. Right now I cant think of much that would drive me to upgrade and I am not alone, it's not uncommon on the samp forums to read about people using samp 8 and even samp 7 still.

:)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

People buy Samplitude:
- For the Object Editor - some other hosts have per-item FX/editing, but I haven''t seen an implementation approaching its depth/comprehensiveness/workflow
- For the plugins
- Because they can't afford Sequoia...now THAT's expensive :lol:

For people who actually make a living/report significant income from production, cost is less of a consideration. It's a business expense, and some years it could be worthwhile to make expensive purchases to offset income.

The object editor is a big reason to have Samplitude. But also Comparasonics waveform colours is massive for me. No other DAW has them and that's a big minus as far as I'm concerned.

If you buy Samplitude Pro X (non-suite version) it compares very favourably with other DAW's pricewise (except Reaper of course).
You may miss out on a few plug-ins but there are so many great third-party ones nowadays I wouldn't say that was an issue. Also independence pro which comes with the suite version isn't a necessity I would say.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

For audio, there's no better daw than samplitude. It's very cpu friendly and with its object architecture, you just don't have to change your computer every 3/5 years. Even reaper is not as good. So considering a new computer is $500/$1000 an you can easily skip one or two upgrades if you use sam, do the maths.

Kraznet wrote: But also Comparasonics waveform colours is massive for me.
ditto, I forget which version it came in but I saw one of your vids on it and thought "this is huge"...it would very difficult for me to return to any DAW without them now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go7a09fs ... D&index=45
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Thanks Hink. Actually that short video about Comparasonics didn't really do it justice in terms of the colouring of different instruments based on frequencies. So I did a quick screenshot showing the variety that Comparasonics offers.

here's some info about Comparasonics waveform display from the website.

http://www.comparisonics.com/color.html
The most common visual representation of audio is its waveform display, which is a graph of amplitude (loudness) over time. It indicates when the audio is loud or soft, but provides no information about how the audio sounds. This is remedied by a Comparisonics patented invention: colors are derived automatically from the frequency content of audio and used to paint the waveform display, making it possible to see the sounds!

In rough terms, shades of red are used for high-pitched sounds; greens and blues are used for mid-range sounds; and bass sounds are represented by dark colors. Similar sounds are indicated by similar colors, and changes in sound are shown as changes in color. The coloring makes the waveform display tremendously more useful.

See examples of colored and uncolored waveform displays in the Sound Gallery below; click on any waveform display to play the sound that is pictured. You can also download a QuickTime Demo (3.3 MB). See articles for more information.

The Comparisonics waveform display is used to represent sounds in FindSounds.com, FindSounds Mobile, FindSounds for Android, FindSounds Palette, Comparisonics Audio Editor, Magix Samplitude, Magix Sequoia, and Native Instruments Traktor.

We are pleased to hear from users of Avid Pro Tools, Sony Sound Forge, and other audio systems who would like to see the Comparisonics waveform display added to these products. Please let the makers of these systems know of your interest in "seeing" sounds with the Comparisonics waveform display!
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

thought about that myself, my tracks are rainbows :hihi: FWIW on my guitar tracks yellows are either squeals or a really heavy high bend. Once you learn to 'read' the colors navigation on a track is great, when it comes to Auto Quantize I find comparisonics to work better if I need to align something. While I have messed around with AQ I really have little use for it, I like my music a little more loose and human. But if something is off too much comparisonics, a marker and nudge is super fast and accurate :)

mewthree wrote:why is Samplitude priced around 1k and people go ahead and buy it?
Samplitude costs 500€/500$ . The more expensive version has only more effects and a bigger library. Moreover there are ways to get a free Samplitude SIlver version which authorizes you to buy it for approx. 200 - 250 €
But your question is justified because there are really heavy bugs and they don't fix them.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”