Why do people even buy Samplitude?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Samplitude Music Studio X8 Samplitude Pro X

Melodyshine wrote:
mewthree wrote:why is Samplitude priced around 1k and people go ahead and buy it?
Samplitude costs 500€/500$ . The more expensive version has only more effects and a bigger library. Moreover there are ways to get a free Samplitude SIlver version which authorizes you to buy it for approx. 200 - 250 €
But your question is justified because there are really heavy bugs and they don't fix them.
What are these bugs? I've been using Samplitude for 15 years or so and never had a problem, was thinking about getting a new computer and Pro X sometime this year.

edit- I'm checking the registered users forum, I'd completely forgotten about it since I never had a problem. I'm not seeing current bug problems in either the english or german language forums except for a device-specific hardware controller problem.

mewthree wrote:The question is in the thread. Every DAWs are same practically. Offering nothing special why is Samplitude priced around 1k and people go ahead and buy it? Can anyone explain please? I have been always curious about it.

As others have said street price is in line with other pro daws in general, and samplitude is extremely powerful. People buy it cause they like it!

I don't get along with it as it's too overwhelming for me to get used to, but it has tons of amazing functions.

TheoM wrote:
mewthree wrote:The question is in the thread. Every DAWs are same practically. Offering nothing special why is Samplitude priced around 1k and people go ahead and buy it? Can anyone explain please? I have been always curious about it.

As others have said street price is in line with other pro daws in general, and samplitude is extremely powerful. People buy it cause they like it!

I don't get along with it as it's too overwhelming for me to get used to, but it has tons of amazing functions.
Theo, I use very little of samps resources so I know what you mean but the things I use some are unique to samp...leaving aside the obvious versatile object based model things like in the piano roll you can set it so for velocity on a midi note can be changed by dragging up or down on the note in the piano roll. I have talked about this for years, it's great because it's no different than adjusting the length of a note in any other host but you're doing it vertically eliminating the popsicle sticks (it still has those if you wish or both), but the best part is it sounds the note as you're adjusting the velocity which is killer for velocity layered samples like DKFH. you can of course expand the width (or height kinda) of piano keys you can drag the velocity up and down in very fine increments.

Another thing is the multi point autopunch, the revolver tracks (basically just all the takes in one track can be saved and a new revolver empty revolver track takes it's place), the graphic representations of the channel EQs, the track visualizations (which can also be the entire mix), of course the comparisonics and tbh the new 'essential fx' that are included with Samp Pro X as well as Pro X Suite (I have the suite) are often all I need. It has a cool 2 channel surround that you can use in place of the pan which I think is cool but ultimately when I finally finished a song (in my sig) recently I went back to the regular pan controls.

There is so much more that I just do not use, I dont do a lot of automation, I dont use Auto Quantize, I dont use the crossfade editors much, I dont use folder tracks and so much more...so basically what I am saying is it can be overwhelming when you look at it but it still does the simple things very well..and I'm a simple kinda guy :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

IMO the object editing and Ammunition master compressor alone are worth the price of admission.

Haven't hit any bugs in years - on a laptop PC (Win 7), custom workstation (Win 8.1), and even a Macbook Pro (running Samplitude in VMWare/Win 8.1).

Rock steady - which is how I like it!

Yeah, Samplitude pays for itself in one session.
Just the time saved by using object editing alone is worth it.

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

I almost bought PRO X last year after trying it out, but I didn't because it doesn't support VST3.

It's a nice DAW with a lot of great features - good-looking too - but the lack of VST3 support is a deal breaker for me.

whyterabbyt wrote:
You realise that some people buy things according to the value it has to them, not the cost.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390625217849?lpid=82

It has the most pristine sound engine and therefore sounds better than any other DAW, that's why.

:hyper: :phones: :borg:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I folded and bought Samplitude Music Studio 2014 and is very impressed actually. What you get for €100 is really money's worth. This is Magix way for really good entry level affordable daw.

Many things like I missed in Studio One, like midi event editor. Things I missed in both Studio One and Reaper - notation score editor that is enough for basic purposes.

You have plugin bays both for midi and audio. These are limited to 4 for tracks, and 8 for master out. But they also have this PluginsMixer that accomodate multiple plugins, like an effect rack that are saved as preset.

They have routing assistant that help route outs for audio and ins for midi a little bit like Reaper.

I find it really intuitive and also has built in context sensitive help, and their support system is well built - not to keep customers out, but inviting them to contact them, even local phonenumber to use for support. Not like most daw vendors of today.

One major issue though, Waves Element still cause instability as it did a year ago with ProX.

As far as I got before hitting the sack....

lfm wrote:I folded and bought Samplitude Music Studio 2014 and is very impressed actually. What you get for €100 is really money's worth. This is Magix way for really good entry level affordable daw.

Many things like I missed in Studio One, like midi event editor. Things I missed in both Studio One and Reaper - notation score editor that is enough for basic purposes.

You have plugin bays both for midi and audio. These are limited to 4 for tracks, and 8 for master out. But they also have this PluginsMixer that accomodate multiple plugins, like an effect rack that are saved as preset.

They have routing assistant that help route outs for audio and ins for midi a little bit like Reaper.

I find it really intuitive and also has built in context sensitive help, and their support system is well built - not to keep customers out, but inviting them to contact them, even local phonenumber to use for support. Not like most daw vendors of today.

One major issue though, Waves Element still cause instability as it did a year ago with ProX.

As far as I got before hitting the sack....
Interesting :-)
The price is very attractive as well. I'm happy with Live as my main DAW and Sonar as secondary, but my eyes are watching Samplitude for a long time (I felt it is more for professional mixing/mastering engineers, but I might jump into it if I like it more than Sonar).

Is there a version comparison between Samplitude Music Studio 2014 and Pro X? Or are they completely different products?

Downloading Samplitude Studio demo now ......

EnGee wrote: Interesting :-)
The price is very attractive as well. I'm happy with Live as my main DAW and Sonar as secondary, but my eyes are watching Samplitude for a long time (I felt it is more for professional mixing/mastering engineers, but I might jump into it if I like it more than Sonar).

Is there a version comparison between Samplitude Music Studio 2014 and Pro X? Or are they completely different products?

Downloading Samplitude Studio demo now ......
I wonder that myself, since I don't miss anything yet.
I think number of plugin bays would be one thing - if common is 8 everywhere in ProX.

I just discover the custom abilities, for toolbar - which I miss in both Sonar X3 and Studio One.

Menues a customizable, and shortcut with keyboard and or mouse/wheel.

I added FaderPort support within a minute, fixed Contour Shuttle jogwheel to quickly move around and zoom in/out etc.

Mixer view is excellent with overview of plugins and sends, pretty much like Reaper does it. Studio One is horrible in this sense, and quickly become cluttered.

They did not hold back on much compared to ProX as far as I can see.

Just this Waves Element that is nagging me - why did they not fix this being known for a year.

Aroused by JarJar wrote:
Melodyshine wrote:
mewthree wrote:why is Samplitude priced around 1k and people go ahead and buy it?
Samplitude costs 500€/500$ . The more expensive version has only more effects and a bigger library. Moreover there are ways to get a free Samplitude SIlver version which authorizes you to buy it for approx. 200 - 250 €
But your question is justified because there are really heavy bugs and they don't fix them.
What are these bugs? I've been using Samplitude for 15 years or so and never had a problem, was thinking about getting a new computer and Pro X sometime this year.

edit- I'm checking the registered users forum, I'd completely forgotten about it since I never had a problem. I'm not seeing current bug problems in either the english or german language forums except for a device-specific hardware controller problem.
Video by kraznet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rLZNa4D-c
As far as I know kraznet told them many times that they should fix it, but they don't do it. Allegedly the mac version had the same bug. Everybody can reproduce this bug, no matter what plugin you use. Only the trial version doesn't have this bug when you don't update the trial version.

When I noticed this bug for the first time I got frightened because I was playing something and then the volume fader suddenly got to +12db (you can see this in the video) !! So it was suddenly extremly loud although I just wanted to move the pan fader.
I noticed this bug in early 2012 !!

Just this Waves Element that is nagging me - why did they not fix this being known for a year
I have mentioned this a couple of times on the Samplitude beta forum so I will bring it up again.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Melodyshine wrote:
Aroused by JarJar wrote:
Melodyshine wrote:

Video by kraznet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rLZNa4D-c
As far as I know kraznet told them many times that they should fix it, but they don't do it. Allegedly the mac version had the same bug. Everybody can reproduce this bug, no matter what plugin you use. Only the trial version doesn't have this bug when you don't update the trial version.

When I noticed this bug for the first time I got frightened because I was playing something and then the volume fader suddenly got to +12db (you can see this in the video) !! So it was suddenly extremly loud although I just wanted to move the pan fader.
I noticed this bug in early 2012 !!
It still hasn't been fixed despite me continually mentioning it. I will do so yet again. although personally I always insert plug-ins using the track editor and I would never have come across it unless you had bought it up originally on the forum. Although the easy workaround is to after inserting the plug-in just click anywhere in the VIP or somewhere on the mixer and then it shouldn't happen.

Regards
Kraznet
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K

Kraznet wrote:
Just this Waves Element that is nagging me - why did they not fix this being known for a year
I have mentioned this a couple of times on the Samplitude beta forum so I will bring it up again.
Thanks, maybe a joint effort will help, certainly with your history.

I mention you in my syscheck report and it was april 2013. I wasn't sure if codebase was taken from Samplitude or MusicMaker and it should be one fix for all versions.

Maybe threatening to bring it up with Waves to put an exception on Samplitude for Element will bring them to their their senses. It still says it's supported which is false. Even my old Sonar 8.5 runs it without issues, but plugin manager govern how they treat stuff, and if synthbox is checked.

I got my first old project over to SMS2014 raw now and I love it to death so far. Really smooth...

Minor things like a question to put all imported files on the same or separate tracks would be nice - how often do you want them in a row on one track. Not a biggy though.

First FR would be to have Reaper style trackfolders also in mixer view.

Minor things like a question to put all imported files on the same or separate tracks would be nice - how often do you want them in a row on one track. Not a biggy though.
I just checked in MSN 2014 and it looks like there is no option to import audio to separate tracks. Obviously one of the things they left out to try and entice users to upgrade to Samplitude Pro X.
First FR would be to have Reaper style trackfolders also in mixer view.
You know I made the suggestion of mixer track folders for Samplitude in 2005
Here's my original post from the Samplitude Forum :
Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:51 PM
I find that when I'm working on songs with with 40-50-60 tracks including Busses and Auxes , that the Mixer size can get a bit out of hand . I was was thinking though :) As it is possible to put tracks into Folders . For example I have folders for Guitars, Vox, Pads. Drums etc .... So how about an option to have the mixer tracks reflect the present Folder state?

Here's a possible scenario : In the VIP all the Folders are collapsed except for the guitar folder . Now when I open the mixer only those guitar tracks are shown plus the Busses and Auxes (this could be an option as well) .The other folders could represented by just the Folder name including the fader ( just like in the VIP) . I think this would tidy up things immensely .Obviously you could have a tab to expand /collapse the folders within the mixer as well (which likewise would be reflected in the VIP) . I think this would be very useful especially if your working on a laptop and need to save screen estate. Does anyone think this would be a useful addition to Samp?
Then Reaper implemented them in 2010. I keep hammering about track folders on the forum but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Regards
Kraznet

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”