1%
OhmStudio
0%
Caustic
0%

Total votes: 1069

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, I voted for live, so now I'm starting to question this thing.

CTStump wrote:
hibidy wrote:edit: That "old" feeling is starting to creep in :lol:
Is this a prelude to cat pic's? :o
I already gruden'ed one guy today, don't make me do it twice :x

How bout NO

more polls
Bitwig Certified Trainer

LOLZES!

Lawrence, you win the internet!

ah man ! pol cats haha

it should be mentioned that (i myself made this mistake) people coming from other daws never really like studio one because, 1. its very blue. and some blue colors are a bit tacky like the greenish blue track highlight. yeah we know, its ugly. get over it. going by the presonus track record they will improve the theme in time.

now, the BIG factor. people coming from daws with a looping sequencer start working on a song in studio one and start to hate the workflow. reason being, there used to just moving the cursor back and replaying the sequence as in cubase, or in the case of flstudio, it only loops the notes that are inserted. but, in studio one theirs no such option. at. all. mousers simply cant move back and forth with the forward/backward loop buttons.

so people start trying to write a song, never can get it going, think the workflow is not for them and sell studio one. the solution, while painful, is the only way to add this workflow. and believe me, its PAINFUL. one must click, insert marker, rinse and repeat for ever bar they want the cursor to loop at. i think my song was like 121 bars so i had to insert a marker in 121 places and worse, there's no way to fing copy and paste markers! one needs to do it manually!!! (there's a keyboard shortcut but that's still 121 inserts, then 121 names.

intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, breakdown, outro. and lets not forget having to hit the caps lock bar each time. (im a horrible typer and do nearly everything with a mouse) once you do this though, its well worth it. simply save as template and enjoy a loop based workflow. but seriously. this needs to be improved upon in v3 :roll:

mewthree wrote:Can anyone tell me what makes S1 so popular? I mean Live's fancy in it's non-linear fashion and electronic friendly structure. What does s1 go ahead with?

imo the best studio one feature is the grab automation. with big complex synths like u-he zebra among others, theres so many automation options that trying to pick the right knob is very confusing. i still don't know which knob connects where and if i was using cubase, or other daws well, that would suck. with studio one, simply touch a control, any control on any vst/au instrument/effect plugin, drag the hand to a track and bam! automation is ready to automate.

i dont know any other daw that makes automation this easy. then there's the one window interface, or the imo again, best included fx plugins of any daw. maybe its childlike ease of use, or the 'master' studio one in 2 weeks paradigm. so many awesome things about it. in terms of actual daws its pretty much new code and because of that is very stable and not full of old bugs as in other daws.

it still has a long way to go though to become half as powerful as cubase or other big boy daws but what it lacks in features it makes up for in usability.

AstralExistence wrote:...there's no way to fing copy and paste markers! one needs to do it manually!!!
You can both copy and paste and duplicate markers just like media clips...

...one must click, insert marker, rinse and repeat for ever bar they want the cursor to loop at.
Or just create some macros and get on with making music. Try the Shift Loop and Goto Loop Start commands to begin with.
...im a horrible typer ...
You only have to type it once. The macro toolbar is loaded with names for clips and markers and you can edit the menu...

Hope that helps.

Part of the problem is people not actually even using or learning the software they talk about. It happens with them all, all those products. Probably happens with Reaper more than most.

AstralExistence wrote:... drag the hand to a track and bam! automation is ready to automate.
You don't have to drag anything unless you want the envelope placed in a particular arrange position on an automation track or something. Just hit ALt+A to expose whatever you touched last. But that's VST 2.x. If it's VST 3 just right click any control to expose or delete the envelope directly.

P.S. There is also a rotating list of the last ten things you touched on every plugin UI so you can even expose envelopes for things that aren't even visible on screen at the moment, if it hasn't rotated out of that list yet and you touched it recently.

Hope that helps.

Back on topic...

If I could vote for the single most useful feature of any workstation I've touched (mmv, for me personally) in the last couple of years it would be Reaper's SWS Snapshots.

So simple, yet so damn useful. IMO, mmv, no serious studio product should be without something like that. It's ... ... really ... great... and (imo) way more universally useful than most of the shiny stuff that pops up on the regular major update cycles in some other places.

Once you start using something like that, it's very hard to let it go.

LawrenceF wrote:If I could vote for the single most useful feature of any workstation I've touched (mmv, for me personally) in the last couple of years it would be Reaper's SWS Snapshots.
The way you have the window sized, are there table columns that are hidden? The only other thing I would like to see there is a comments column for entering a brief note (three to five words) of why I saved that snapshot. What is so great about this snapshot that I might want to return to it later? Or if you want to follow software versioning conventions, what changes were made in this snapshot?

Was actually just discussing a similar versioning feature on the Cubase feature request forum (albeit not as robust) though in regards to being able to save comments with each version of the project you save which you could also read while choosing which project to open.

Both the window and the grid column widths are resizable and you can rename the snapshots so yes, there's plenty of space for that when you need it.

AstralExistence wrote:one must click, insert marker, rinse and repeat for ever bar they want the cursor to loop at. i think my song was like 121 bars so i had to insert a marker in 121 places and worse, there's no way to fing copy and paste markers! one needs to do it manually!!! (there's a keyboard shortcut but that's still 121 inserts, then 121 names.

intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, breakdown, outro. and lets not forget having to hit the caps lock bar each time.
:scared:

I have Studio One, but I've never tried to do anything loop-based in it. After reading your post, I don't plan to ever do that. :hihi:
[Insert Signature Here]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”