Reason?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

So if you're on Reason 6.5, you'll have to pay 129 euros just for the privilege of being able to use the newest, bestest rack extensions.

And rack extension licenses still aren't transferable.

Wow!

It's like when people need to give medicine to their dogs; Propellerheads just wrapped a 129 euro upgrade fee in a half-assed rack extension called "Synchronous".

That's just playing dirty pool, imo. It's like a restaurant charging you for construction of the restaurant, then charging you for the meal on top. Oh, no, wait; here are some "free" bread sticks. We cool now?

What a joke!
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

EnGee wrote:Now, for the PC specifications, Reason has lowered my needs. That's a good saving! Well, I need a budget gaming machine because I don't want to stress this laptop with everything (work, music and gaming). I thought to buy i7-4770 but with Reason and my needs I think I will buy i5-4670k instead and put the difference in upping the graphic card (from GTX 650 to GTX 660 for example). My system would cost about $870 (about NZ$1000).
Seems like a smart move since Reason won't use all 8 on a I7. It only uses Real cores and disables Hyperthreading so you end up with 4 anyway :)

stroker_ace wrote:So if you're on Reason 6.5, you'll have to pay 129 euros just for the privilege of being able to use the newest, bestest rack extensions.

Wow!

It's like when people need to give medicine to their dogs; Propellerheads just wrapped a 129 euro upgrade fee in a half-assed rack extension called "Synchronous".

That's just playing dirty pool, imo. It's like a restaurant charging you for construction of the restaurant, then charging you for the meal on top. Oh, no, wait; here are some "free" bread sticks. We cool now?

What a joke!
Upgrade fees are very common when going from 6-7 etc. Cubase does the same and not all Vst's are transferable and some vendors are charging more and more for transfers like Fxpansion and 2caudio or ilok fees. If it was that upgrade fee for a point release then it would be a bit rich but from 6-7 is understandable.

stroker_ace wrote: It's like when people need to give medicine to their dogs; Propellerheads just wrapped a 129 euro upgrade fee in a half-assed rack extension called "Synchronous".
Do you think you won't survive without the newest rack extensions, or the newest version of Reason? :roll:

chk071 wrote:
stroker_ace wrote: It's like when people need to give medicine to their dogs; Propellerheads just wrapped a 129 euro upgrade fee in a half-assed rack extension called "Synchronous".
Do you think you won't survive without the newest rack extensions, or the newest version of Reason? :roll:
Someone must have have been after him about buying the new shiny :shrug:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

stroker_ace wrote:So if you're on Reason 6.5, you'll have to pay 129 euros just for the privilege of being able to use the newest, bestest rack extensions.

Wow!

What a joke!
No you pay 129 euros for external midi, more advanced audio editing and audio improvements such as automatic slicing etc., more powerful mixer, new EQ display, retro FX and rack extensions, with some very useful free ones such as Pulsar and Synchronous.

I paid £89 actually, which is 107 euros
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

good news re RE SDK2, i am now running 20 instances of synchronus at a very low 64 buffer on an average by today's standards laptop (2.2ghz i7 with mechanical hard drive which is almost full, just 8gb ram, Reason 7.1 and Mavericks 10.9.2) and a usb 1.1 class compliant interface, and dsp bars are at 3 with occasional quick flash to 4 bars (i can go to about 6 or 7 bars out of a maximum 9 at 128 buffer before i get issues)

This effects has 4 sub effects, delay, verb, distortion and filter. Every effect on every instance is activated and they are all processing audio.

it's also quite rich graphically, so there is obviously some massive under the hood improvements, not to mention reason doesn't crash.

D-Fusion wrote: Seems like a smart move since Reason won't use all 8 on a I7. It only uses Real cores and disables Hyperthreading so you end up with 4 anyway :)
I didn't know that! Thanks :tu:
spaceman wrote: No you pay 129 euros for external midi, more advanced audio editing and audio improvements such as automatic slicing etc., more powerful mixer, new EQ display, retro FX and rack extensions, with some very useful free ones such as Pulsar and Synchronous.

I paid £89 actually, which is 107 euros
Pulsar is free? I see it for $49 in the shop!
TheoM wrote: This effects has 4 sub effects, delay, verb, distortion and filter. Every effect on every instance is activated and they are all processing audio.

it's also quite rich graphically, so there is obviously some massive under the hood improvements, not to mention reason doesn't crash.
I updated Reason to 7.1 and downloaded Synchronous. I haven't played with it yet, but from the video it seems fantastic.
With the SDK update, Rack Extension might capture the developers' attention looking at Synchronous as a case study for the new SDK.

I had the image that BitWig would be as polished as Reason when they released it, but they still have a long road it seems. Anyway, I'm in Propellerhead's world and I feel like "Alice in wonderland", everything is new, fresh and colourful :-)

Reason is far superior to bitwig IMO.. no contest.. I am not saying reason doesn't have it's own limitations but for what it does it does properly and most importantly stably - I still can't find a darn bug in it...they must have the best beta program ever.

of course the new sdk will change everything as developers that claimed their only limitation was graphics won't have that limitation anymore.

New samplers will appear also.. things are going to really change for the better.

I hope they update the rewire protocol to support multi core.. that would be how i'd use it rewired into logic, best of all worlds. Minimal RE's except absolute essentials, same for AU's. Just as closed as possible for maximum stability and performance. (the only RE i had a problem with was noxious though, changing presets sometimes crashes it, but reason itself still never crashes even when noxious does).. it's been fun demo ing RE's again.. some really good stuff available now. It's taken a while, but it's really improving. That said, props took 18 months to do that, so perhaps some of us (especially me) are being too hard on bitwig.. they might surprise us all yet....

EnGee wrote: Pulsar is free? I see it for $49 in the shop!
I believe it was free when v7 was released.

I think Bitwig will evolve just fine; It might just be a bumpy ride getting there. Propellerhead don't use customers as alpha testers which probably contributes to their slowness. Even the initial release of RE never felt like an unstable alpha product. It was just limited in scope. Then they carefully roll out new features.
Last edited by Tronam on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synchronous is superb.

When I started this computer music making malarkey (and long after that), a plugin like that cost a couple of hundred dollars. To get this for free is pretty darn amazing.

spaceman wrote:Synchronous is superb.

When I started this computer music making malarkey (and long after that), a plugin like that cost a couple of hundred dollars. To get this for free is pretty darn amazing.
Yeah, it's a lot of fun. It also makes it really easy to simulate CableGuys VolumeShaper style ducking without the need for sidechaining compressors. I've barely scratched the surface on its CV potential with other devices. One thing I was happy to discover is that most of the features which aren't directly automatable can be accessed through the Combinator programmer and automated that way. This includes the Kill and Freeze buttons along with Phase, Step and Speed. Pretty much total control really.

Tronam wrote:One thing I was happy to discover is that most of the features which aren't directly automatable can be accessed through the Combinator programmer and automated that way. This includes the Kill and Freeze buttons along with Phase, Step and Speed. Pretty much total control really.
Also shows you how well Combinator was thought out.

TheoM wrote:Reason is far superior to bitwig IMO.. no contest..
Except for one thing... I cannot use my favorite plugins with Reason so it never even gets off the ground. Total showstopper for me.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”