Reason?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

TheoM wrote:Well congrats props, but disappointed there is still no form of PDC. Oh well. Reason certainly getting serious though. :)
It's true but it is not going to help the FDC even when implemented.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

TheoM wrote:Well congrats props, but disappointed there is still no form of PDC. Oh well. Reason certainly getting serious though. :)
True enough and I hope they're looking into an innovative solution to this that can account for all the modular variations in that environment. Even so, I'd rather have no PDC at all with the freedom to use zero latency plugins reliably as opposed to the way Ableton handles plugins. I'm a huge fan of Live, but you were right the whole time about that and I'm really surprised it still functions this way after all these years.

One point in the release notes which hasn't been getting very much attention, but could end up being significant is that SDK2 REs will "perform math functions faster". I'm curious to see how much this translates into real world performance improvements.

personally i think they should implement at the very least just basic pdc for effects inserts on audio tracks.. this could be possible.. so one can use polar, bitspeek in sync, etc.

The math is a big deal, of course.. and the gui freedom is a big deal. Basically i guess SDK2 will be awesome. However i do wonder if people can re release their plugs easily enough under new SDK for better cpu usage.

Gotta say, there is still nothing as stable as reason, and that's a fact. On a really powerful mac pro, i wouldn't worry so much about RE usage, but on a common i7 quad laptop i would.

Reason is still my second favourite program after logic. Just some better midi and pdc and it would really rock.

I've used Reason on a Core 2 Duo for many years, and sometimes still do, and never even got close to maxing anything out. I used it on an i5 Mini Mac after that, with even less chance of ever maxing anything out.

Btw, I think I have finally managed to get rid of the faulty gene than kept making me sell Reason every time I got disillusioned because of the lack of time to spend on making music. So I bought Reason again and will be sticking to it from now on.. as second after Logic, of course :)
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:I've used Reason on a Core 2 Duo for many years, and sometimes still do, and never even got close to maxing anything out. I used it on an i5 Mini Mac after that, with even less chance of ever maxing anything out.

Btw, I think I have finally managed to get rid of the faulty gene than kept making me sell Reason every time I got disillusioned because of the lack of time to spend on making music. So I bought Reason again and will be sticking to it from now on.. as second after Logic, of course :)
This is true if you don't run any RE's. :)

eXode wrote:
spaceman wrote:I've used Reason on a Core 2 Duo for many years, and sometimes still do, and never even got close to maxing anything out. I used it on an i5 Mini Mac after that, with even less chance of ever maxing anything out.

This is true if you don't run any RE's. :)
I have to admit, that largely the case for me.
I only run low-processing utility and FX REs
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I'm demoing now PX7 and it doesn't eat that much cpu. I haven't tried other demos yet. How about Parsec? It seems a nice alternative to NI Razor. I'm waiting to finish demoing PX7 first as I think I won't be allowed to demo it again.

Which are the hungry cpu racks you know about? Is there a list or a thread discussing that?

I like PX7. It reminds me of Hexter (the free one) about the sound. It sounds different from other FM synths I used to hear. It might be more authentic but I can't say because I never owned DX7 although I heard many!

Try Predator, as far as it was to read here, it's pretty heavy on CPU.

Predator and Antidote can be CPU heavy depending on the preset structure. Viking and Tres are quite hungry, esp for being monophonic. I don't remember but I think that Parsec can be pretty hungry as well, albeit not as bad as Predator or Antidote. The Softube FX are quite CPU hungry in general and also some of the u-he Uhbik's.

eXode wrote:Predator and Antidote can be CPU heavy depending on the preset structure. Viking and Tres are quite hungry, esp for being monophonic. I don't remember but I think that Parsec can be pretty hungry as well, albeit not as bad as Predator or Antidote. The Softube FX are quite CPU hungry in general and also some of the u-he Uhbik's.
I agree :)
The Korg Monopoly is also cpu hungry if the release is used in a preset.
I was amazed by AudioRealism ReDominator when it comes to sound and cpu use compared to the other Re Instruments i own.

It is pretty low on cpu for the sound you get out of it :love:

Parsec can be cpu hungry depending on note count and how complex the modulations are but I find it more efficient compared to Razor or Prism. The Polar pitch changer can be hungry also when set to smooth and slow but it's such a great effect. Ammo is very efficient for the complicated patches that can be achieved and Uhbik G is quite efficient except for when it is in PhaseVoc or Max. The newer additive synths on any platform at the moment are CPU hungry which makes me love Zebra so much more because it is so capable of such a huge and complex sound at a fraction of the cpu spend.

D-Fusion wrote:I agree :)
The Korg Monopoly is also cpu hungry if the release is used in a preset.
Yeah, I forgot about that one. Monopoly is very inefficient, you can make a similar patch on either Predator or Antidote and it will consume less CPU. Monopoly seems poorly optimized in that regard tbh.

Thanks for the information :-)

Wow! I had almost an opposite idea!! Predator, Dune and Korg synths are super efficient in the VST form, so I almost took it as a guarantee they would use the same cpu as Thor!!

Thanks for mentioning ReDominator and Ammo. I will try them next (with Parsec). Mostly I will buy PX7 as it can play also thousands of the converted DX7 sounds.

I think I will keep my VST synths and host for now but I really want to delve deep into Reason. Luckily there are many resources (both free and commercial).
I remembered now that there was a book about advanced patching and it contains schemes illustrating these patches. It was years ago, in the Reason 2.5 era I think. It is not "Reason Power". Oh well, it is time to search for it or for something similar :-D

EnGee wrote:I remembered now that there was a book about advanced patching and it contains schemes illustrating these patches. It was years ago, in the Reason 2.5 era I think. It is not "Reason Power". Oh well, it is time to search for it or for something similar :-D
It's Powertools for Reason 2.5, or the later Powertools for Reason 3.0 by Kurt Kurasaki (aka PEFF). Beware though that there's later Powertools for Reason by another author that is utter crap. It is not like those two books by Kurt.

eXode wrote:
EnGee wrote:I remembered now that there was a book about advanced patching and it contains schemes illustrating these patches. It was years ago, in the Reason 2.5 era I think. It is not "Reason Power". Oh well, it is time to search for it or for something similar :-D
It's Powertools for Reason 2.5, or the later Powertools for Reason 3.0 by Kurt Kurasaki (aka PEFF). Beware though that there's later Powertools for Reason by another author that is utter crap. It is not like those two books by Kurt.
Thanks a lot eXode :-) Yes! this is the one. Let's see how can I get it now.

[edit]
Oh boy oh boy oh boy!! I found it (Power Tools for Reason 3.0) and order it from e-bay Australia for AU$13 only :-D I hope it won't take a long time to receive it.
[/edit]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”