Reason?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Tronam wrote: Unfortunately many of those types of discussions forget about these details and instead focus on the repeatedly ABX debunked magical mixing engine nonsense.
Agree. Sorry for misunderstanding.
Lately I'm totally in Reason and with some new RE, such as Echobode!!!, I found a way actually to refresh my workflow and it's a fun beyond description. Antidote is a great voice in my mix now. Dune 2 must be a great update.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Synapse Audio is a good example of a dev who figured out early on that usually the most effective approach with Rack Extensions is to design unique devices specifically tailored to Reason instead of trying to shoehorn in pre-existing VSTs. It gives the device a sense of exclusivity and newness, spares them from constant A/B comparison wanking on audio forums, cuts down on potential buyer's remorse by folks who might've had to buy the plugin twice and also lets them design it with much more extensive back panel audio/CV routing in mind from the beginning. Antidote remains one of the most popular, highest rated REs for good reason. It's even a good multi-FX audio device.

I'm with you there 100%. I bought Predator only because of the exceptional discount for owning the VST version. I'm looking forward to Spire which will be ported in the near future (and who knows what else)!.

The PH SDK is getting updated and fine tuned. It takes time but the tools already available in Reason and RE are more than plenty for now to continue, at least with my workload and style, for a good stretch of time, and any future update and VST porting, it's only but a great welcome and addition to a bright new platform.

Just more than a month ago I actually removed Reason from my PC, but then by sheer luck(?) I messed around, on one of my friends PC, with PX7, Antidote and a nice multi-band compressor (4Dyne). Done! I was back and producing extremely fast and with pleasure.

Never say Never I guess.....

Biscotto wrote:I'm with you there 100%. I bought Predator only because of the exceptional discount for owning the VST version. I'm looking forward to Spire which will be ported in the near future (and who knows what else)!.
Interesting. I didn't know devs could offer discounts like that for previous owners. I don't remember that being the case before.

I'm not aware of any other developer giving such a deal.
Rob Papen is a great company and I own most of their stuff.
I didn't feel spending more money ATM but Predator is a great synth and the price was right and the offer may not last. Like you mentioned, we prefer dedicated RE built with Reason workflow and modularity in mind, but good deals on great products are to be honored.

Here is something for those that are into the "Reason Sound" myth...
http://mcdsp.com/2014/01/21/reason-rack-extensions/

Now you can complain that Reason sounds like ProTool :hihi:

I Started out with pro tools 7 years ago and used it up until version 9 using rewire into reason. I then switched to studio 2 and had a workflow id never enjoyed so much using both studio one and reason. When Props released version 7 last year everything changed. I found myself never leaving reason as audio recording has never been easier. The audio editing features like comp view, cross-fade handles, audio quantization markers, and the spectrum eq seemed to cover what needs i had for outside audio recording. On top of that, several Rack Extensions have been realeased that i seriously cant imagine not having on a track. Seligs leveler RE comes to mind, as well as Echobode, Revival, and the new McDSP compressor RE's. And still to this day i know of several producers who will swear Props Scream 4 distortion unit is used all over their tracks. The fact is all DAW's in this day and age are fully capable of producing amazing results but only when great music is ran through them. And from what i've been seeing around online as of late, if Reason does in fact have a sound, i want it
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Reason is a great tool which is completely capable of professional results, but to get the most out of the platform you really need to invest in the non-transferrable Rack Extension eco-system. I for one did that, until I took at step back one day and decided I simply couldn't afford to carry on up such a one-way street. If the props did allow RE transfers it would probably encourage more people to try the platform and boost RE sales.

db3 wrote:Reason is a great tool which is completely capable of professional results, but to get the most out of the platform you really need to invest in the non-transferrable Rack Extension eco-system. I for one did that, until I took at step back one day and decided I simply couldn't afford to carry on up such a one-way street. If the props did allow RE transfers it would probably encourage more people to try the platform and boost RE sales.
I think a lot of Reason users have taken that "step back", along with some rack extension developers.

But the more I think about it, I don't know if making rack extension licenses transferable would help them that much. Nobody would switch DAWs just because of it, and no big name plug-in developers would start developing rack extensions because of it, either.

It might make more business sense to continue to try to squeeze every penny out of their current user-base than to try to woo new customers, because I don't think there's anything they can do to expand their user-base in any significant way..........aside from VST support, maybe.

And if there was VST support in Reason, they'd obviously have a really tough time trying to convince anybody to develop rack extensions.

I'm very, very glad I jumped ship, that's for sure.

I just wish I'd done it sooner.
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

stroker_ace wrote: I'm very, very glad I jumped ship, that's for sure. I just wish I'd done it sooner.
I certainly wish I'd stopped purchasing REs sooner. I currently have an account holding a significant number of REs which I'm not using :roll:

Man if they ever allow transfers its going to be one giant game of hot potato until the ship sinks....

(Woah. The last post on the forum is a track in Music Cafe called 'Hot potato'. Weird.)
ImageImageImageImage

If only jumping ship included Reason threads.

Tronam wrote:Synapse Audio is a good example of a dev who figured out early on that usually the most effective approach with Rack Extensions is to design unique devices specifically tailored to Reason instead of trying to shoehorn in pre-existing VSTs. It gives the device a sense of exclusivity and newness, spares them from constant A/B comparison wanking on audio forums, cuts down on potential buyer's remorse by folks who might've had to buy the plugin twice and also lets them design it with much more extensive back panel audio/CV routing in mind from the beginning. Antidote remains one of the most popular, highest rated REs for good reason. It's even a good multi-FX audio device.
Bump for truth!

If you need an example if dev that gets it, it would be these folks.

Antidote!

highkoo wrote:Man if they ever allow transfers its going to be one giant game of hot potato until the ship sinks....

(Woah. The last post on the forum is a track in Music Cafe called 'Hot potato'. Weird.)
Freaky!

I think the ship is already sinking; the only rack extensions that sell are Propellerheads own, and the $12 CV utilities. People are shying away from the pricier 3rd-party rack extensions.
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

OzWozEre wrote:
Tronam wrote:Synapse Audio is a good example of a dev who figured out early on that usually the most effective approach with Rack Extensions is to design unique devices specifically tailored to Reason instead of trying to shoehorn in pre-existing VSTs. It gives the device a sense of exclusivity and newness, spares them from constant A/B comparison wanking on audio forums, cuts down on potential buyer's remorse by folks who might've had to buy the plugin twice and also lets them design it with much more extensive back panel audio/CV routing in mind from the beginning. Antidote remains one of the most popular, highest rated REs for good reason. It's even a good multi-FX audio device.
Bump for truth!

If you need an example if dev that gets it, it would be these folks.

Antidote!
Have they given up on the rack extension format? They haven't released anything in almost a year and a half.

Several months ago, they said they were going to update their filter rack extension, but that still hasn't happened.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”