How can I convert .aff or .wav to .aif (one F)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bob bobwood wrote:Right found some .aiff files on CM115.
Renamed as .aif, played in FLStudio and in Windows Media Player just fine.

So I thought why not go the whole hog and rename it .wav and that plays fine in Windows Media Player but is a no go in FLStudio.
Back to batch conversion for that.
My guess is you can't actually change the format after the fact just by removing a letter or changing it anymore than changing the .pdf document simply by changing the letters to dfp would change the fact that it is still a pdf, just might not be able to open it. It's still what it is when it was made. Just my guess. The main thing for me is apparently it didn't matter aif or aiff.

Yep, I'm thinking that there are one or two editor programs that for some reason save it as aiff rather than aif.
The extra f is seemingly only for the word format.

bob bobwood wrote:Yep, I'm thinking that there are one or two editor programs that for some reason save it as aiff rather than aif.
The extra f is seemingly only for the word format.
"The extra f is seemingly only for the word format."
I agree. That was interesting to find out.
Thanks for your input bob. :tu:

Like mentioned earlier, it's like .tif vs .tiff (or .jpg vs .jpeg) - same format, and recognized by most applications as such.

dblock wrote:

So I thought why not go the whole hog and rename it .wav and that plays fine in Windows Media Player but is a no go in FLStudio.
My guess is you can't actually change the format after the fact just by removing a letter or changing it anymore than changing the .pdf document simply by changing the letters to dfp would change the fact that it is still a pdf, just might not be able to open it. It's still what it is when it was made. Just my guess. The main thing for me is apparently it didn't matter aif or aiff.
Some software will open supported files with incorrect extensions because they check the internal file header to determine the actual format instead of checking out only the extension like other software do. Hopefully this clears up the last remaining mysteries for you guys. :tu:

eidenk wrote:
dblock wrote:

Some software will open supported files with incorrect extensions because they check the internal file header to determine the actual format instead of checking out only the extension like other software do. Hopefully this clears up the last remaining mysteries for you guys. :tu:
Makes sense to me.Thanks eidenk!

Microsoft Windows introduced the inane concept of the 8.3 naming convention. So all "Windows" extensions can only be 3 characters long - hence, .jpg, .wav, .aif. Un*x convention simply stated there could be no SPACES in filenames, but would often use a 4 character extension. - .jpeg, .html, and, of course, .aiff (Apple Interchangeable File Format)

The data represented in these files, whether .aif or .aiff is the same. If the program was hard-coded to only accept the X.3 format, all one need do is (batch) rename each extension to fit the convention.

However, converting a WAV (Windows Audio Video) file to AIF *does* require conversion via a utility, such as ffmeg.

I would have hoped that after 30 years programmers would have learned that users shouldn't have to be bothered with this stuff.

Hope this helps...

hueynym wrote:Microsoft Windows introduced the inane concept of the 8.3 naming convention. So all "Windows" extensions can only be 3 characters long - hence, .jpg, .wav, .aif. Un*x convention simply stated there could be no SPACES in filenames, but would often use a 4 character extension. - .jpeg, .html, and, of course, .aiff (Apple Interchangeable File Format)

The data represented in these files, whether .aif or .aiff is the same. If the program was hard-coded to only accept the X.3 format, all one need do is (batch) rename each extension to fit the convention.

However, converting a WAV (Windows Audio Video) file to AIF *does* require conversion via a utility, such as ffmeg.

I would have hoped that after 30 years programmers would have learned that users shouldn't have to be bothered with this stuff.

Hope this helps...
Best explanation since trying to figure this out Hueynym. I put this in a text for future reference.Great answer. Thanks alot!

Thanks all, now if only I could remember why aiff wouldn't load and which program it was. Could have been Data Becker Studio on Win98.
Anyway I avoided aiff files until I found aif files did play but probably only after I'd moved onto XP.

And completely off topic but suddenly remembered, I lost a pub quiz (£10 and a gallon of beer) because the quizmaster asked what NASA stood for.
He would only accept North American Space Agency. Prick. ! And when Pluto was still considered the ninth planet, he would not accept that Neptune was the furthest planet from the Sun at the time he asked the question, which was the late 90's. Golf playing prick !

Anyway I digress
Goodnoght

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”