Hex - a microtonal sequencer

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all

We have a new version of Hex available for download at http://www.dynamictonality.com

Hex is a microtonal MIDI sequencer, which we have recently updated to make multi-track. It comes with bundles of useful tuning presets, different note layouts, and well-formed (MOS) scales. It is freeware and runs on Windows and OS X.

We’ve also updated the website and added an FAQ.

Any questions or comments would be very welcome.

More details below…

1. The hexagonal lattice represents the available notes, similar to a piano roll.
2. Drag the tuning slider to transform the lattice and change the tuning.
3. Click the tuning value, which displays the precise tuning in cents, to enter any exact value.
4. Double-click in the envelope to insert a new node for automating changes to the tuning (lattice shear) and other parameters.
5. The sequencer displays the notes of a sequence. Click inside a note lane and drag to the right to create a new note. Click and drag on top of a note to adjust its velocity, or on the right of a note to adjust its length.

Andy Milne

That's an interesting concept, will have to take a look at it.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

How does it get any given synth to dance to it's microtonal tune? Does it use the pitchbend method?

I really wish pitch was handled sequencer/daw-side rather than by individual synths, so this is quite interesting to me.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

The easy way is to use one of the two (soon to be three) Dynamic Tonality synths (The Viking and 2032). These will automatically produce the correct microtuning for all notes coming from Hex. A nice thing about the system is that the tuning can be smoothly and dynamically changed over a continuum.

Alternatively, if you have a multitimbral synth which correctly handles pitch bend, you can send the MIDI from Hex into Relayer (also on the DT site), which will allocate incoming notes to different channels and apply an appropriate pitch bend.

In all cases the MIDI from Hex will need to go through a MIDI bus (e.g., OS X's built in IAC MIDI buses, or MIDIYoke for Windows).

Further details about how this all works are given in the FAQ here http://www.dynamictonality.com/about.htm

Indeed, any future synth developers who were interested could build in DT MIDI support so they automatically pick up the correct tuning without the need for horrible pitch-bend messages.

Andy

How about using polyphonic aftertouch for pitch bend, as an option?

Are there any synths out there supporting that?

There are quite a few, yes.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Interesting. I am really into my microtonal* sequencers as it goes.

I have one here that is, funnily enough Hex capable, i.e. six nodes:
http://www.audiodamage.com/instruments/ ... ?pid=AD026

I'm big into my geometry too. And my platonic solids.

Hexagonalism is one of the only 7 shapes of crystals known in the universe, so I would say it is a good thing. When used properly. See Buckminster-Fuller.

An Octagonal sequencer? I don't think the world is ready for it. At least not me right now.

:o

* When I say microtonal, I really meant multi-tonal. Apologies, then again if you ever heard the racket that Axon makes, you would forgive me my misapprehension.

You can't tile the plane with octagons :wink:

Andy Milne wrote:You can't tile the plane with octagons :wink:
Pics or stfu?

;-)

Oops,

I see what you mean. Geometry fail. My bad.

Still, if you could...

Actually you can tile the hyperbolic plane with octagons. But that's probably more information than either me or you actually need to know.

Andy Milne wrote:Actually you can tile the hyperbolic plane with octagons. But that's probably more information than either me or you actually need to know.

Actually that is more than you could understand and I could know. Or rather, you would understand it, and I would never know. Whatevs

:-)

Are you the developer? Is this your thing?

Edit:
Er, that didn't come out right. It made me sound as if I know more than you, and I don't. I could edit it, but let's just leave it in for comedic value for now, unless you want me to edit it. f**k i sound like such an idiot.. Oh well

Well it wasn't exactly a serious conversation so don't worry about it :)

My good friend Anthony Prechtl did the coding and many of the outward design choices. The concept---shearing a lattice---to represent different tunings and all the math stuff, that underlies it, is my thing.

We have a bunch of nice standalone soft synths too. Why not check 'm out?

Andy Milne wrote:Well it wasn't exactly a serious conversation so don't worry about it :)

My good friend Anthony Prechtl did the coding and many of the outward design choices. The concept---shearing a lattice---to represent different tunings and all the math stuff, that underlies it, is my thing.

We have a bunch of nice standalone soft synths too. Why not check 'm out?
You know. I think I will. It is most intriguing. Standalone Synths you say?

I'm really interested in the sequencer design. I need another synth, like a hole in the head. No offense. I have synths I haven't even installed yet.

Do you have any demos? Did I miss them?

I know one needs to check these things out for themselves, but hey, why not give yourself a bit of free publicity - the podium is all yours. This sounds like such a different concept. We aren't being lazy, just you know, a bit lazy..

:-)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”