Syncing Ableton And Traktor To The Same 1st Beat Of Each Bar?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all 8)

I know how to sync Traktor and Ableton's tempo, but I wonder if and how it's possible to sync Ableton and Traktor in a way that they are always on the same beat.

I mean, I want that both programs will be on the the 1st beat of each bar at the same time and not, for example have Ableton on the 2nd beat and Traktor on the 4th.

Two reasons:
1) I have delays/gates/loops I play live with a midi controller and it really spoils the effect when they don't correlate to the 1st beat of each bar of the track coming in from Traktor.
2) It's easier to not make mistakes when Ableton's global quantize is set to a bar.

Anyone knows who to do this?

Thx, ZBBZ.
CPU: i5 3470
RAM: 2X4GB DDR 3 1600
Hard Drives: WD 1TB Black, 500GB Green, 160GB
Sonar X2, Native Instruments Komplete, VSTs...
Audio Interface: PreSonus FireBox
Mics: Shure SM57 & KSM27
Casio CD-120 Digital Piano

Anyone?
CPU: i5 3470
RAM: 2X4GB DDR 3 1600
Hard Drives: WD 1TB Black, 500GB Green, 160GB
Sonar X2, Native Instruments Komplete, VSTs...
Audio Interface: PreSonus FireBox
Mics: Shure SM57 & KSM27
Casio CD-120 Digital Piano

So, I've played with Ableton and Traktor together. I can't think of a solution off of the top of my head, but,
I will say that, in the past, I've had an awful time keeping Ableton synced to Traktor. Traktor does a much better job saying synced to Ableton. When you do that, of course, you can just use your DJ skills to phrase match phrases.

How are you setup, what are you syncing to what, and what kinds of material are you using. For example, are you trying to sync full tracks in Traktor to loops in Ableton, or vice versa, or just loops in both? How are you interfacing them, e.g. do you feed Ableton into an external deck and mix it with Traktor's interface?

I don't know that what you're trying to do is possible, but, I'm trying to get a handle on your work flow. I've run into similar issues with a number of attempts at syncing devices, and depending on what you're trying to do, there may be a solution.

On Edit: I'm not sure what you're doing, but now that I think about it, I don't think that it's possible to keep them aligned "on the one" automatically. Sending a Sync signal from Traktor (upper right hand corner under clock settings) resets the midi song position in Ableton. It's possible to get out of sync easily here if you send the Sync too late. If you anticipate slightly, the ones are lined up. But, you have to know what the one is in Traktor. Moreover, any looping in Traktor does not resync. So if you are able to sync them up but then play a single bar loop in Traktor for any number of bars other than the sample loop length, e.g. you play a single bar loop for 5 bars, the one(s) will be misaligned.

The sync between Traktor and Ableton seems to have improved. I can keep them locked up over an IAC bus with about a 65 ms delay. But, there are so many things that you can do in Traktor that will unlock the phrase sync, and really, even the sync, after all, DJs work that way. This is why I find it better to treat Ableton as the master tempo and sync Traktor to it. Or, at the very least, work like a DJ and cue the Ableton parts before you bring them in, that way you can resync them if they're out.

At any rate, let me know how you're working, maybe someone else has better advice.

Best,
gs

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”