Reason 7.1 and Rack Extension...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

it appears in order to use new Rack Extensions i.e. the new acoustic guitar rack extension in Reason you have to update to Reason 7... does this mean everytime they update the SDK and if you want to use the new rack extensions that takes advanage of the new SDK you have to update/upgrade Reason?

i am happy with 6.5 and do not need the features in Reason 7 but i have to update/upgrade to Reason 7.1 to use the new SDK?

it appears for Rack Extensions to catch up with vst/i it is going to be expensive... for me if i wanted to use/purchase the new acoustic guitar rack extension... first i have to update/upgrade to Reason 7 which is $129... plus $99 for the rack extension... for that type of money... i could buy a vst/i and have change left over for a meal at Friday's with my main squeeze...

p.s. just saying!!!

:tu:

It's no different to having to upgrade to a version of a host that uses VST3 to use VST3 versions of a plugin. For example on mac you have to have an AU or VST3 host to use halion sonic. It's just the way of progress. I am sure as new RE sdk are released, they will only be included with latest versions of reason at the time, so yes, i would say this trend is here to stay. Reason 6.5 is finished in that there won't be any more updates, it's an "as is", much like any previous version of any host.

I left Reason in the dirt shortly after RE appeared, and things like this are why. Imo, PH lost their way in the name of progress/competition, and hey, that's their right and more power to them. I just chose not to play.
Meh.

TheoM wrote:It's no different to having to upgrade to a version of a host that uses VST3 to use VST3 versions of a plugin. For example on mac you have to have an AU or VST3 host to use halion sonic. It's just the way of progress. I am sure as new RE sdk are released, they will only be included with latest versions of reason at the time, so yes, i would say this trend is here to stay. Reason 6.5 is finished in that there won't be any more updates, it's an "as is", much like any previous version of any host.
never encountered this... never owned a MAC... or AU plugin... i never had to purchase/upgrade a DAW for a plug-in... my DAW of choice ableton live even came out with a "free" 64-bit update/upgrade for live 8... i guess mileage will vary... but when Rack Extension first came out... i never thought in order to use the "latest" SDK i would have to be current with the "latest" Reason release...

more and more... i personally think... Props should have went with vst/i instead of Rack Extensions... it appears to run Reason and Rack Extensions it's expensive compared to the alternatives...

neverenoughfunk wrote: more and more... i personally think... Props should have went with vst/i instead of Rack Extensions...
Yes. that's a good point. I don't think we've ever discussed VST support in Reason here on KVR. Maybe we can start a thread to do so and see what the others think?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:
neverenoughfunk wrote: more and more... i personally think... Props should have went with vst/i instead of Rack Extensions...
Yes. that's a good point. I don't think we've ever discussed VST support in Reason here on KVR. Maybe we can start a thread to do so and see what the others think?
I can't understand why no one ever thought of that before...

robojam wrote:
spaceman wrote:
Has the OP tried Reaper?

:hyper:

spaceman wrote:
i love the hint of sarcasm... my main point is not discussing VST support in Reason... but the fact that Reason/Rack Extensions can get expensive pretty fast... i.e. if i want to test/purchase the new acoustic guitar rack extension... i need Reason 7... i am only on Reason 6.5... if i wanted to purchase the new acoustic guitar rack extension... i would have to purchase the Reason 7 update/upgrade first... which is by the way... an $129 expense... then the $99 for the rack extension... i may be wrong... but the math to me indicates that i have to spend an extra $129 to use a $99 rack extension... that was/is my point... and not a disscussion of Reason should support vst/i or not!!!

Last edited by neverenoughfunk on Wed May 07, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robojam wrote:
spaceman wrote:
spaceman is before his time!!!

Maybe they should give a free upgrade (for one paid upgrade, no two) with a purchase of a PH-RE that requires "The Next SDK Version".
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

I see we still can't sell REs, yet, either. For shame, PH. For shame.
Meh.

This old chestnut.

tonkatodd wrote:This old chestnut.
wow!!! you clicked "reply"... then typed the message... then clicked "submit"... to say this?

ok?

I'm more bothered by the fact stuff like the latest RE is really Dr. Rex with a couple features added. Time will tell but 30 RE for 30 diff instruments isn't exactly my cup of tea.

softska wrote:Time will tell but 30 RE for 30 diff instruments isn't exactly my cup of tea.
Erm.. care to extend on that?

Do you mean you would prefer one RE to get 30 new instruments? Do you know of any VST that is 30 instruments in 1? Sorry, just guessing what you're saying here as it doesn't really make sense.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”