Liking Cubase 7.5 more every day. Fewer reasons to use ANY 3rd party products...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

+1 for groove agent SE Very, Very nice!

The only things I can't well understand/don't like are:
-His pitch filter option: it would be nice the pitch show you the notes. i.e. you pitch shift a sound and he shows you respective note you are going into.
-The chormatic mode into pattern (3 little squares in the pad). I can't get what he does. :/
-When You multi-out GA in midi channels, it would be nice to have the option to automate the midi channel in the project window, instead of doing it via VST only.

fandango wrote:It's a bit strange having Groove Agent SE and Groove Agent ONE still sitting next to each other. I often pick the wrong one now and find I'm missing some drum sets I expect to find (the Allen Morgan sets* which seem to be GA ONE only?).
If you open, let's say, the SE one. then, can't you just open the media bay and import the kit you want inside SE?

I've wondered what Cubase is like on a Mac these days. I once owned Cubasis (MIDI only) that was my introduction to MIDI, and it was buggy as hell. Absolutely hated it, and then I read, for years, that Cubase isn't as stable on a Mac, and has poor customer support, blah, blah, blah. So, I use Logic 9 and X (I prefer the latter). The bundled content in Logic, for 200 bucks, is an absolute steal. The thing is though, I found a lot of their orchestral stuff rather unremarkable, and though the synths are very good, I am not a programmer. So, after the IKM 64 bit fiasco, I loaded up on better sample libraries and 3rd party instruments. Basically, Logic only made me want better instruments and samples. What I've spent is easily 10x what Logic actually cost. A bit nutty, but I am loaded for bear on any DAW, now.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote:I've wondered what Cubase is like on a Mac these days. I once owned Cubasis (MIDI only) that was my introduction to MIDI, and it was buggy as hell. Absolutely hated it, and then I read, for years, that Cubase isn't as stable on a Mac, and has poor customer support, blah, blah, blah.
Complete bullshit. No matter how futile the question, or the respectice product was, i always got a competent answer to my question from their support. If i may give you an advice, don't care at all about what some boasters on the internet tell you, there's so much political motivation going on that you won't be able to distinguish between people with honest intentions, and haters or fanboys.

Well, that's good then. I also based my preference upon what a dipshit piece of software Cubasis was and how it drove me nuts.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Says the right person indeed. ;) (directed at chk071)

Actually... most videos on the topic "Cubase" are made on Macintosh these days (especially tutorials!), not Windows (unless it's by the so called "fanboys", right? Right?!). A lot has happened on that behalf over the years. But while CubEndo runs fairly stable, Wavelab is a complete different thing on Mac (it's on "Mac" since WL7, before that - PC exclusive - hence the new hated GUI due to the new engine, and the issues with certain 3rd party tools)

Support is still a hit and miss.
Depends on what bug reports you send in, or whether or not you are only having minor issues. Or whoever answers your inquiry. Waiting time can still be long however. Too long even.

The official web board in terms of support is still a waste of time, and more than once an ego fest. If you have an uber-thick skin, you might even catch the one or another bit of information there.

Is C7.5 great and doesn't need third party plugins?
Depends on how you use it... but I'd say what is bundled "currently" is definitely usable for starters without adding 3rd party plugins (even Essentials!). Unless you really(!) need that special FX in your chain.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Of course support CAN be a hit and miss, just like for every other company, depending on who you have in the line, or, more importantly, how easy/difficult it is to reproduce the problem, talk specific hardware or system configuration. But in general, in my experience, and that's all i can report, their support is outstanding, especially compared to other companies in the audio business. For many companies, support doesn't seem to be calculated into their business plan these days, it seems...

Well it is a huge difference in terms of experience if you invest the time to create a very detailed report right from the start (with hardware specs, screen shots, system dumps, videos, etc), and right after the first mail, you're answered to "add more information" since the informations you filed were either "insufficient" or "not clear enough". And two months later you yet again get get a very shortened mail with one sentence: "this is not our fault - it's due to you using third party developer plugins".

I see that as huge issue.

Since Cubase 7 and Wavelab 7, I hear this comment as the major excuse for pretty much all their funk ups. And then it takes weeks to actually convince them - again with detailed reports, videos, screenshots, etc - that there is more to it. Or until they finally pull their butts off of the couch and take a closer look as the person did, that filed this report in the first place. This way, C7.0.7/7.5.2 got an improvement on the ASIO load with host bundled plugins (a bug they didn't encounter themselves!)

Again, Steinberg so far as confirmed (in public) that C7 has major issues (Mix Console and ASIO engine being the main points for criticism), but won't be able to fix them within this cycle (as usual - it's been like that since C5!). In terms of Wavelab they are still stubborn and cut all channels of communication to the developers that filed the same reports as I did (if not more detailed, since they know what's up). With this I mean the VST3 Audio Forward Bug I was casually mentioning several times in various thread, and that I were recently accused of being "talking bullsh*t" and having that "made up" (see Presonus thread) - which IS an actual showstopper, especially considering that Steinberg pretty much forced all 3rd Party Devs to now focus on VST3 with the drop of the VST SDK v2.x.

The thing is; and to sum things up; there are real existing problems.

To some this is barely unnoticeable. Others don't even care and say "it's a new thing, we have to adapt" (which is just an excuse IMO). To another fraction it's a huge issue and actual showstoppers. And this is what resolves in the outcries, in the criticism, the negative vibes towards the new "pay in order to get continued bugfixing" game. The fanboy/hater wars, the profiling of users, the mass banning at the Steinberg boards and people shutting down and cutting all types of communication.

The criticism that can be read on Steinberg, GearSlutz and KVRaudio (just to name three threads) is outstanding - it's more than with any CubEndo version prior to that. This can't be ignored or whitewashed.

To me, Steinberg is currently at the brink of another huge change again - at least it must(!!!) change in order to win back their user base. This happened with VST5 to SX (where Pinnacle joined the "fun"), this is where SX3 turned into C4 (Yamaha), and now it's more than apparent again. People are ticked off by that behavior.

However... nothing changes.

I am almost 20 years with Steinberg... and as of this moment, I'm not even the slightest bit interested in continuing to back them up any more financially - especially if nothing changes (WL8.5 might be my final investment due to the bundled Fraunhofer ProCodec). I adapted to the bugs, work around them, try to help others in the process with my findings. Else... too many bugs that even third party devs can't work around, insufficient support, official representatives that accuse you of using warez, constant excuses... This can't be overlooked.

But if you're fine with what you have - and you didn't seem to have run into any problem... then please, by all means, be happy that it's like that and enjoy this piece of software (which is still usable no doubt, but with a lot of restrictions!). But don't proselytize those people that HAVE severe issues and make themselves some air in public boards after they hit a wall with the support again.

Steinberg has the same issues as other companies. No doubt about that.
It just depends on your viewpoint.
Last edited by Compyfox on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Who would have thought, after 50 of similar posts before? :hihi: Anyway, not sure what you're trying to achieve anyway, after having achieved nothing so far really. Maybe time to be honest to yourself for a second, and admit that you didn't get what you want, and now you're pissed off and whining about it here every day. Be happy that the mods give you a platform here to do so.

Yes, I did not get what I want. And by that I mean I got a faulty host I paid a fair amount of money for - which I sure am not the only person on this planet.

What is so wrong with it in criticizing that?
Wouldn't you do the same? Or are you really like you insist: forget it and move on?

I really don't think so.

Like I said... if it works for you, be happy. Enjoy it, treasure it. Keep on doing what you do.
But don't point fingers at others and say "you're wrong, you're annoying - be happy that the mods didn't ban you yet". Which I now consider as a clear implicit threat towards me.

The world is not black and white - there are always several sides to a medal. People only seem to want to see one side of it however.

Compyfox wrote:Or are you really like you insist: forget it and move on?
It would actually be a great relief for the people trying to get infos out of threads like these, and not personal problems which have already been described a zillion times... i mean, every KVR user should be aware by now, that you think Steinberg sucks in general. That's cool of course, each to his own, but the amount of pestering, and trying to take influence is really a bit inflationary by now, and i think you very well know that.

Instead of constantly saying that I should "shut up", "move on already", "you're on a vendetta" and what not that I got to hear in the last couple of months (years even), I'd ask myself...

"Am I one of those people that actually disturbs the thread just as much?!"

And it should also be aware by now, that even though I do have my issues with Steinberg, that I still use this software and help other users on top of it. The most recent Cubase threads have helpful answers and different viewpoint that I added. So it can't be all hate, disappointment and pestering.

Not to mention - without "crazy people" like me, certain bugs wouldn't be fixed in the first place.

Again - several sides of a medal, chk071.
Several sides...

BERFAB wrote:I'm finding that I'm producing entire tracks almost entirely within the Cubase box.
That's really cool. I'm really glad to hear that. Steinberg has given us generally all the necessary high quality tools for music production within Cubase so in that we can become "one" with the software and you're taking advantage of that fact. I've always thought about trying to achieve that also. That's great! :clap:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Compyfox wrote:Not to mention - without "crazy people" like me, certain bugs wouldn't be fixed in the first place.
Amen! Thank you Mr. Crazy guy. I'm one of the sideliners that understands that these companies aren't gonna move to fix anything because I say so. They'll do it in there own time or in a lot of cases, not at all and just move on to the next version. So I don't even put in tech support requests for bugs because I feel that no one will give a crap anyway. I understand your point, and your frustration over the Cubase thing and you are having major issues. I'm aware that it's got some really weird bugs that one would not expect to be included in a world class DAW but none of them are total killers for me so I try to ignore them or work around them as you have stated. If you can point me to a thread so I can see what problems you are having in Cubase that would be cool. I want to see if any of mine line up with yours and I don't want to derail this thread with this. Thanks.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote: Amen! Thank you Mr. Crazy guy. I'm one of the sideliners that understands that these companies aren't gonna move to fix anything because I say so. They'll do it in there own time or in a lot of cases, not at all and just move on to the next version. So I don't even put in tech support requests for bugs because I feel that no one will give a crap anyway.
Although i'm kinda sick of this whole discussion, here are 2 links for you, with the changelog of the latest Cubase versions: http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... utions.pdf and http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... issues.pdf

So, no, it is not true that bugs are ignored, and not fixed, and they move on to the nest version... it is a problem though when there are a few people who suffer bugs, which can't be reproduced, thus are not fixed. Software will always have bugs, it's just a question how many people will suffer from these bugs. Major bugs will most likely be fixed.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”