Maybe you folks could help me find my daw...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

how'd you get the audio to transfer between projects? Maybe I'll find a clue on how to get instruments fx,, but I know you can save fx chains but it'd be easier if that could be copied with the instrument too
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I dunno. Haven't figure it out, but how I got the tracks copied was simply "ctrl/A" and then "paste" into a new song (remember, "project" is for the pro version and is for like a "cd" or compilation of songs, so I might not be quite on the same page you are)

mysticvibes wrote:Just a quick question about studio one if anyone can answer, how can I add tracks whether they be audio or synths with midi from one project into another? Is it possible?
S1 can open more than one song at a time, so just load the project you want to copy from and the one you want to copy to (if it isn't already). Then just copy and paste between the two. Of course audio is easier coz you don't need to copy the instrument as well, but then again, you may need to copy fx in which case make up a chain for easy recall. For midi you will have to duplicate the instrument and the settings and whatever patches you used.

Or maybe it's easier than that.. Scrub all that. You could do it that way, but THIS way is a whole lot easier:

For midi and instrument: On midi part - Right click>Intstrument Parts>Export Musicloop. Make a folder for these and set in the browser (under files). You can then drag and drop from the browser into your new song and it will remember the midi and instrument. It even remembers your fx chain on the mixer too iirc.

For audio you can export to audio loop. Do the same. Not sure if it remembers all the stuff, like your mixer FX, but you can also drag and drop to the browser your mixer chains too. It's all in the manual. Look up Audioloops and Musicloops.

If the Audioloops doesn't remember the FX Chain (don't think it does) then just drag the mixer to the browser and use that as a preset to drag your audio loop into.

I have created a folder in my songs called 'MUSICLOOPS' and 'AUDIOLOOPS' for such use. Make up a tab on the browser dedicated to these for quick access. Then whenever you need to do this you have place to call home for it all and it's just a case of dragging and dropping. If you drag a mixer channel (at the bottom) onto the browser it automatically puts it in FX Chains so you always know where they are. That might involve an extra step to perfectly duplicate between tracks, but it is certainly a lot easier than any other daw I know of.

An example of a .musicloop -

I have an ADM Drum machine with a 4/4 midi kick pattern and a compressor on the insert. All I have to do is drag this onto empty space in the window and it recreates everything perfectly from the patch to the fx patch to the midi part. It's amazing. It's a bit like you can do in Ableton Live with the same concept of being able to extract parts out from songs. But let's not confuse things. If you right click on the musicloop and select 'Show Package Contents' it explodes all those parts apart and you can even drag and drop the individual entities by themselves to whichever tracks you like. It even automatically creates an audio render in .flac format that you can drag to an audio channel for pity's sake! It's totally insane if you haven't come across the concept before. Ableton kinda has it built into the file format, but this is more flexible again.

I haven't explained that very well, but just look up Audioloop and Musicloop and it will all make sense.

mysticvibes wrote:how'd you get the audio to transfer between projects? Maybe I'll find a clue on how to get instruments fx,, but I know you can save fx chains but it'd be easier if that could be copied with the instrument too
A .musicloop copies the midi info, the instrument and patch info, and the fx chains in one go! And don't confuse Projects with Songs, two different entities in S1. I am assuming you mean songs...

I've had too much tequila to make sense of that other than you can open more than one project at a time (which is AWESOME btw)

Tomorrow is another day, I really believe that this can be done, I'm not sure exactly how to do it ( the copy paste here just did the tracks and the audio, not the fx/instruments)

hibidy wrote:I've had too much tequila to make sense of that other than you can open more than one project at a time (which is AWESOME btw)

Tomorrow is another day, I really believe that this can be done, I'm not sure exactly how to do it ( the copy paste here just did the tracks and the audio, not the fx/instruments)

It sounds confusing but it's not.

Get a big black felt tip pen. Before you crash out, write in BIG letters on your forehead: MUSICLOOPS. Then when you wake up tomorrow you will know what you need to study for the day!

You CAN just transfer between SONGS as you realise, but that is cumbersome compared to using .musicloops or .audioloops. They are insanely powerful and very very quick to use.

Remember M U S I C L O O P S s

Section 6.5.2 in the Reference manual. Write that on the back of your hand if there is no space left on your head.
Last edited by codec_spurt on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow, thats really awesome codec_spurt, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. Studio One is really awesome, becoming more impressed day by day, what's also really cool is the explode pitches to tracks option under the right click instrument parts section too... Totaly awesome!
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

codec_spurt wrote:
hibidy wrote:I've had too much tequila to make sense of that other than you can open more than one project at a time (which is AWESOME btw)

It sounds confusing but it's not.

Get a big black felt tip pen. Before you crash out, write in BIG letters on your forehead: MUSICLOOPS. Then when you wake up tomorrow you will know what you need to study for the day!

You CAN just transfer between SONGS as you realise, but that is cumbersome compared to using .musicloops or .audioloops. They are insanely powerful and very very quick to use.

Remember M U S I C L O O P S s
:x

One more thing I'm trying to figure out, I have a lead and midi from DAW orion. I save the .fxp and the midi. I drag the fxp into Studio One and it inserts the vsti and recalls patch. I insert the midi onto track the vsti's goes to default patch? I find the patch on the vsti again and it works, but once I press stop then play again it goes back to default patch? Only way to get this to work is to open midi onto new track open piano roll select all copy then open piano roll for vsti then paste. Am I missing something? Tried the same thing on seperate vsti's and behaves the same.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:Wow, thats really awesome codec_spurt, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. Studio One is really awesome, becoming more impressed day by day, what's also really cool is the explode pitches to tracks option under the right click instrument parts section too... Totaly awesome!
Well you can render the midi part to audio via bounce and you can also merge the parts and then export to audioloop and do a bit of back and fore between all of these things. It is incredible powerful and flexible. So even if you can't do the thing you want to do with the part you can go through an intermediate step to get there. And often you can go back too. It's impossible to explain and I don't even remember exactly what it is I'm talking about, but if you take a midi part and bounce it down and then merge it and then export it and then reverse the process you will get a feel for what it can do for YOU.

Audioloops aren't strictly as powerful as Musicloops, but they have other charms. Just experiment and make up a folder to include the stuff you play about with - it makes it so much easier and fun to do. And you know where to look later for the stuff you make up.

I think you are talking about the 'transform into audio track' function when you right click an istrument track. Really awesome and just discovered it a few hours ago (new to studio one). Whats really great about this is again you and retransform to instrument track as well but its also good for preserving cool parts of a track while still being able to adjust the vsti's to create another altered version, so kinda like taking takes of a song part. What I do is select all the vsti's solo'd then perform the 'transform into audio track' function. Then make a duplicate with events for all the tracks, then slide them over into new region of playlist, then 'retransform into instrument track function' the orginal tracks so I can further manipulate the sound etc and continue the process. Also saves cpu. Would be great if I could 'retransform into audio track' multiple tracks at once then create duplicate version with events of mutliple tracks all at once to. Is there a way?
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:One more thing I'm trying to figure out, I have a lead and midi from DAW orion. I save the .fxp and the midi. I drag the fxp into Studio One and it inserts the vsti and recalls patch. I insert the midi onto track the vsti's goes to default patch? I find the patch on the vsti again and it works, but once I press stop then play again it goes back to default patch? Only way to get this to work is to open midi onto new track open piano roll select all copy then open piano roll for vsti then paste. Am I missing something? Tried the same thing on seperate vsti's and behaves the same.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like there is some cc patch change info on there and that is why it keeps reverting to the same patch. Have a deep look in your midi to see where that info is then you can change it. Somehow the patch change info is being saved along with the midi file. Happens all the time and sometimes it can be a real pain to figure out.

Not sure what the cc no. is off the top of my head. See here:
http://nickfever.com/402/production-tip ... i-cc-list/

cc0 is patch bank.

-----------------------
Allows user to switch bank for patch selection. Program change used with Bank Select. MIDI can access 16,384 patches per MIDI channel.
------------------------

And here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=275967

EvilDragon says you can't change programs with cc, and I would listen to him rather than me. Somehow Program Change messages are being transmitted though.

Maybe someone else can say.

mysticvibes wrote:I think you are talking about the 'transform into audio track' function when you right click an istrument track.
Yeah, there is that as well! You get that by right clicking on the track channel. The other bits you get from right clicking on the midi part. You can play about with all of them depending on what you are trying to do.
mysticvibes wrote: Really awesome and just discovered it a few hours ago (new to studio one). Whats really great about this is again you and retransform to instrument track as well but its also good for preserving cool parts of a track while still being able to adjust the vsti's to create another altered version, so kinda like taking takes of a song part. What I do is select all the vsti's solo'd then perform the 'transform into audio track' function. Then make a duplicate with events for all the tracks, then slide them over into new region of playlist, then 'retransform into instrument track function' the orginal tracks so I can further manipulate the sound etc and continue the process. Also saves cpu. Would be great if I could 'retransform into audio track' multiple tracks at once then create duplicate version with events of mutliple tracks all at once to. Is there a way?
Now you've lost me. It sounds like you know what you are doing. I'm sure you'll figure it out. I've only messed about with it a bit as I need to. I do go off on one now and again, but try not to get too lost down dark paths when I can avoid it. Necessity is the mother of invention an all that.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”