Is Presonus Neglection Studio One

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

standalone wrote:When the Studio One developers left Steinberg it was not the end of Cubase.

( Please Compifox, don't :hihi: )
Actually, it wasn't. They left during SX days. SX3 was great, C4 was meh, C5 and C6 were great (though the GUI designs were questionable)... then we got C7...

That's like a bit over half a decade and two Studio One's in between.

audientronic wrote:Yes, I mean in terms of company stability and commitment to development, is it only cubase and protools? And, I guess, Reaper?
Commitment, maybe (though not for the support). Money income? Definitely. But Development... absolutely the wrong direction for both companies. And Reaper still has two main issues: a) the plugin view is just butt-ugly, and the MIDI functions still lack behind.

LawrenceF wrote:It's mostly the EDM daw whores who stress over constant updates. :hihi:
Funny that you mention it, I'm not producing EDM (neither is Hans Zimmer, one of the biggest known Cubase users) - but I have to stick with the updates since I kind of need to stay competitive?! Don't know about you.

Though I definitely didn't get the NEED to update ProTools during the iLokalyspe, just because it was a new version - the old one worked just as fine. But at least, AVID offered demo versions right from the start. :roll:

Still waiting for Studio One v3 myself.
Maybe they finally catch up in terms of MIDI and songwriting tools (like Logic and Cubase did). Maybe then I think about switching. The upgrade fees are definitely lower than what both Steinberg and Avid are flinging at us recently.

Logic doesn't count anymore... The pricing model is "get a new version every couple of years (5 years!) for dirt cheap (200bucks) and be done with it". :shrug:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Funny that you mention it, I'm not producing EDM (neither is Hans Zimmer, one of the biggest known Cubase users) - but I have to stick with the updates since I kind of need to stay competitive?! Don't know about you.
Ah... the subtleties of English language comprehension. :hihi: Re-read that sentence I wrote again...
LawrenceF wrote:It's mostly [as in not everyone but "mostly"] the EDM daw whores who stress over constant updates. :hihi:
... so I'm not sure how anyone could actually read that as meaning"... everybody, including all you guys and Hans Zimmer." :hihi: ... nor how pointing out a couple of exceptions is in contrast to that comment. :lol:
Google Dictionary wrote:most·ly
ˈmōstlē
adverb
as regards the greater part or number.
"I grow mostly annuals"
synonyms: mainly, for the most part, on the whole, in the main, largely,
chiefly, predominantly, principally, primarily More usually; generally.
"the weekends were spent mostly alone"
synonyms: usually, generally, in general, for the most part, as a rule, ordinarily,
normally, customarily, typically, most of the time, almost always, on average, on balance More
But to your question, I don't personally need the latest greatest daw toys to record and mix bands. Just need a decent daw and some good audio plugins... to stay competitive.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I propose a counter argument:
How many KVR members are Cubase users?
And how many of them use it for something else than EDM?

Good Q', right? :hihi:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

That would be a good question if this thread was actually about Cubase. :hihi:

Compyfox wrote: Logic doesn't count anymore... The pricing model is "get a new version every couple of years (5 years!) for dirt cheap (200bucks) and be done with it". :shrug:
Well, both apple and presonus are hardware companies. I think that is obvious about Apple now, but for many years before iPhones, people tended to forget that. They were always a hardware company. Which means software is not their business, it's added value. The problem with companies that make software just to sell hardware, is that at any moment they could decide it's not worth it and pfffft! there goes your DAW.

audientronic wrote:Well, both apple and presonus are hardware companies. I think that is obvious about Apple now, but for many years before iPhones, people tended to forget that. They were always a hardware company. Which means software is not their business, it's added value. The problem with companies that make software just to sell hardware, is that at any moment they could decide it's not worth it and pfffft! there goes your DAW.
True. But I remember legions of Internet fortune tellers claiming Logic development was dead ... that they weren't doing anything, yada, yada, "... Logic development is dead.". How'd that prediction work out for them? :hihi:

The relevant part to Apple (and anyone else paying attention) is that they all came back and bought it when it released. :lol:

The truth seems to be that some companies making DAW's simply don't care about our personal development timelines and they develop at their own pace, follow their own plans. It's only really necessary to push out regular major updates if the company really needs the income from the DAW product.

Apple and PreSonus and a few other companies, maybe not so much.

Let's not forget the ignoring of FRs!

Compyfox wrote:Let's not forget the ignoring of FRs!
That's your real grief after all, your 25 unattended Cubase FRs.
Last edited by standalone on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

audientronic wrote:Well, both apple and presonus are hardware companies. I think that is obvious about Apple now, but for many years before iPhones, people tended to forget that. They were always a hardware company. Which means software is not their business, it's added value. The problem with companies that make software just to sell hardware, is that at any moment they could decide it's not worth it and pfffft! there goes your DAW.
This is exactly why I never really gave Studio One much of a chance in my studio. I lived through having Mackie let Tracktion 3 die a long, long death. 5 years at version 3048, and they still wouldn't admit it was over. After a year at the same version, people on the forum started to ask questions much like the OP. Don't know how long it's been since an update for S1, though.

Well... I was trying to neglect this thread... I couldn't hold out, after all this is KVR isn't it and I really can't help myself. :dog:

If you look at their forum you really don't see a lot of clambering for updates, a lot of FR's but not much in the way of "This IS a BUG!... FIX IT!!!" threads. Presonus is usually pretty quick with the hotfixes in that case. It's not that people still haven't got problems that need fixing but it is pretty quiet on that front on their forum since the last major update.

Eike was the Ampire developer so it's possible they may have went as far as they wanted to on that front however as with Wolfgang he still is able to be there in a consultational role which in this day and age is the norm in the software development business. Matthias Juwan is still there so the core is still intact.

I myself would be happy with a few more point upgrades before they go to version 3 and would be happy to stay at version 2 (point whatever) as it does great for what I need already and stay there for the foreseeable future. Those of you waiting for something better will be tended too sometime this year when it does go to version 3. :wink:

bk wrote:This is exactly why I never really gave Studio One much of a chance in my studio. I lived through having Mackie let Tracktion 3 die a long, long death. 5 years at version 3048, and they still wouldn't admit it was over. After a year at the same version, people on the forum started to ask questions much like the OP. Don't know how long it's been since an update for S1, though.
January 17, 2014
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

CTStump wrote:Well... I was trying to neglect this thread...
Good luck with that. :lol:

At any rate, I'm a "glass half full guy" when it comes to S1. I'm happy with it and get my work done so I don't stress over it too much. It took me about 12 years to start to become frustrated enough with Cubase & Steiny to consider leaving so ... they still have some headroom. :hihi:

P.S. I'm currently modifying the 'Plugin Favorites' add-on. Will post it later when I test the I/O code and make a "how to" video.

I think people get very nervous nowadays when there isn't a vitreous development, as it is in some open source projects. :hihi: While i understand it to some degree, as far as i know the Studio One devs rather work on polishing what's present, than present loads of new stuff to the public. Actually i'm very ok with that approach, who needs tons of useless stuff which brings instability into the game. I like Studio One for its simplicity, and its straight forwardness. No need to break that by adding lots of stuff to it. Although i'm surely not using it to a degree that i would be qualified to judge what's missing in it.

LawrenceF wrote:It took me about 12 years to start to become frustrated enough with Cubase & Steiny to consider leaving so
It took me much less...as Cubase shines in things I don't care about (like MIDI) and it is atrocious in almost everything else... :wink:

chk071 wrote:I think people get very nervous nowadays when there isn't a vitreous development, as it is in some open source projects. :hihi: While i understand it to some degree, as far as i know the Studio One devs rather work on polishing what's present, than present loads of new stuff to the public. Actually i'm very ok with that approach, who needs tons of useless stuff which brings instability into the game. I like Studio One for its simplicity, and its straight forwardness. No need to break that by adding lots of stuff to it. Although i'm surely not using it to a degree that i would be qualified to judge what's missing in it.
I dunno, when I keep hearing about people leaving and then there is this large time period of no updates It's hard not to be a little concerned. In the meantime, I use it just fine.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”