Cubase 8 Release Date?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

I was just wondering what is the release cycle of Cubase releases. When do you guys think it will be released? Thx

November, more or less.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Do Steinberg ever have sales designed to get those people a few versions behind to upgrade?

On 7.5 at the moment, but can't really imagine anything I'm missing for now. However, that's not to say I wouldn't be interested further down the line, but if you fall back a couple of versions the upgrade pricing gets quite substantial.

It would be nice to have strip specific insert controls in the inspector, with out opening the mixer, i mean.

standalone wrote:November, more or less.
I assume a shorter period:
Mid September or October absolute latest.

Considering their 2-3 month "Maintenance Update Cylce" and looking at how short the paid upgrade cycles were.

Add to that, that 7.5 is basically 8.0 beta, and 8.0 will be 8.5 beta... all we get will be a couple new "tools" and paid bugfixes yet again.

Unless they say "funk it, we extend the upgrade cycles for once and push out another Nuendo". But that is highly(!!!) unlikely. Steinberg's main focus seems to be money rather than free and timely bugfixing now. As can be seen with the recent price raise for Wavelab, and the introduction of the annual paid updates for this host as well.

mementus wrote:It would be nice to have strip specific insert controls in the inspector, with out opening the mixer, i mean.
The Inspector has dropdown menu's which lists all inserts, MIDI plugins, Sends and Routing. And that for over a decade! (I think even before SX1 if we talk audio plugins!)

Am I missing something?!

fandango wrote:Do Steinberg ever have sales designed to get those people a few versions behind to upgrade?
No.

The other way around even. Rather expect a PRICE RAISE the longer you wait on upgrading. Or at some point being "dropped out of the upgrade game" if you're behind 3-4 versions.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

The last 4 releases 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5 have pretty much been 1 year releases give or take a month around the new year. So if they keep to that cycle Cubase 8 will be out announced in November and released in December of this year. But, there is no guarantee of that.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Also, from a price standpoint ... assuming they continue to go down the cycle they have been, is to buy the x.0 release but don't register it. Wait for the x.5 grace period and register your x.0 version. So, you'll upgrade every 2 years for the price of 1 upgrade and not have to deal with the x.0 bugfest.

But again, that is only if they continue to follow the current release method.

fandango wrote:Do Steinberg ever have sales designed to get those people a few versions behind to upgrade?

On 7.5 at the moment, but can't really imagine anything I'm missing for now. However, that's not to say I wouldn't be interested further down the line, but if you fall back a couple of versions the upgrade pricing gets quite substantial.

Yes and No.. Around late August/September last year they had a considerable sale. But (IIRC) it wasn't very beneficial for those several versions behind. I think it would have been cheaper to find an ancient version of the bundled lite edition and upgrade from that. Which is what I did. I think I remember it around the upgrade price for regular users!

SJ_Digriz wrote:The last 4 releases 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5 have pretty much been 1 year releases give or take a month around the new year. So if they keep to that cycle Cubase 8 will be out announced in November and released in December of this year. But, there is no guarantee of that.
Wonder how long they can continue business as usual? I mean Adobe sees the end of the line and adopted a rental system. Not that I see Cubase doing the same.. but they seem to be throwing out more versions at the same speed still.. and not sure what else they could do to the software to make it more useful. Maybe some kind of brain to cubase integration to get ideas out quicker/accurate? hehehe

The focus is income, not actual usability.

Avid seems to have finally understood that the focus should be on usability rather than paid updates again. At least for the time being.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote: I assume a shorter period:
Mid September or October absolute latest.

Add to that, that 7.5 is basically 8.0 beta, and 8.0 will be 8.5 beta... all we get will be a couple new "tools" and paid bugfixes yet again.
I strongly disagree, as steinberg has already shorten the release cycle a bit (was january/feb and now nov/december)

They're engaged in a gui redesign, so i'll be surprised if 8.0 just bring a few new tools... I'll bet on a main view new design with dockable parts.
Probably also the last main release in 32 bit...

Wishful thinking in terms of "Dockable Parts".

Though yes, I also have a feeling that they will drop both VST2 and 32bit sooner or later. Maybe even refuse to install on XP and Vista, with tons of error messages for Win7.

And yes, funk up the GUI even more! The Insert Handling is already hated, the look is hated, the Mix Console is hated and bug-ridden still. Let's turn it more into yet another touch-screen forced crap handling with the looks of Jazzmutant Lemur (drag boxes) and way less chances to actually color customize to our needs.

I'm all for that. :tu:

:dog:

I'm somewhere in between compyfox and budweiser ...

It's clear that Steinberg have shortened their revenue cycle to annual instead of semi-annual. However, the total cost of the annual vs semi-annual upgrade stayed relatively the same. with a $25 or so.

The increased release cycle hasn't done anything to hurt or improve the half implemented features, random feature removal, oddly inconsistent interface decisions and absolute reliance on clicking the mouse as often as humanly possible.

But, I actually do see a general improvement in feature set concepts even though I don't use or need some of them(track versions, chord track, takes/lanes/group edit, etc ..). The new mixer was in the right direction, just poorly executed. I expect that to be the case with 8.0. We'll get a new project view that on the surface looks good but requires 50000 new mouse clicks to do some simple like add a track or mute a range.

Hell, range select mute and solo still don't work on the new mixer.

Compyfox wrote: And yes, funk up the GUI even more! The Insert Handling is already hated, the look is hated, the Mix Console is hated and bug-ridden still. Let's turn it more into yet another touch-screen forced crap handling with the looks of Jazzmutant Lemur (drag boxes) and way less chances to actually color customize to our needs.
:hihi:
Lol. Tbh, i upgraded my cubase a year ago but just started using it, and despite the arguable design of the mixer, i'm surprised by how efficient it is, especially since the introduction of the track view on the right. I'm in the middle of a 130/140 tracks project and things are smooth and easier than before. But i agree it could be better. I watched a sonar x3 video recently and i was surprised by their new eq implementation, very elegantly designed. Funny role reversal for what was the most beautiful/ideous daws on the market (ok, no war, just my opinion).
The only thing i realy dislike in this mixer are those appearing/disappearing buttons on the inserts.
I also hope for a decent freeze and a formant tool in variaudio in v8.

Compyfox wrote:
mementus wrote:It would be nice to have strip specific insert controls in the inspector, with out opening the mixer, i mean.
The Inspector has dropdown menu's which lists all inserts, MIDI plugins, Sends and Routing. And that for over a decade! (I think even before SX1 if we talk audio plugins!)

Am I missing something?!
The inspector has menus, there is also the strip channels menu, but you have to open the mixer, or the (e) panel, in order to tweak in depth strip-inserts parameters; or you have to open them in the insert menu.
It would be nice to have the option to tweak the strip-inserts directly in the inspector strip menu. (:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”