Cubase 8 Release Date?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

lfm wrote: So activate it - but not register?
No, do not activate ... just buy. Activate during the grace period to qualify for the grace update.

Also, just because this has worked in the past, doesn't mean they won't cut off this approach.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

i actually bought an extra dongle for selling halion sonic which i did not need. trying cubase 7.5. again.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
No, do not activate ... just buy. Activate during the grace period to qualify for the grace update.

Also, just because this has worked in the past, doesn't mean they won't cut off this approach.
hmmmm...not activating license does that not mean running in demo mode until you do?

Elements work on a file on disk and not a Steinberg key, but upgrading the key needs activating, no?

So it may work between Cubase full upgrades - but not from non-key versions like Elements.

But as you said, you cannot count on these things.

Having the upgrade fees they have it might be worth waiting for v8 from start.

Cubase 6.0 Jan 2011-> Cubase 7.0 Dec 2012 => 23 months
Cubase 7.0 Dec 2012-> Cubase 8.0 ??? => may be 23 months again (Nov 2014) ???

I think polyphonic VariAudio may be implemented in C8 ....

lfm wrote: hmmmm...not activating license does that not mean running in demo mode until you do?
No, just don't use it until the grace period. This allows you to avoid the .0 headaches and bellyaching. So you pay ahead, but save $100 every other year. At least so far. Again, there's no guarantee they will continue to work that way. To me the $100 is no biggy, but to some it is onerous. So, I'm pointing out a method to have access to the .5 release at the cost of the .0 release.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
lfm wrote: hmmmm...not activating license does that not mean running in demo mode until you do?
No, just don't use it until the grace period. This allows you to avoid the .0 headaches and bellyaching. So you pay ahead, but save $100 every other year. At least so far. Again, there's no guarantee they will continue to work that way. To me the $100 is no biggy, but to some it is onerous. So, I'm pointing out a method to have access to the .5 release at the cost of the .0 release.
How clever - never thought about that.
Thank you for enlightening me.

But buying on this campaign with 30% off I guess the save total would be more than $100 once getting v8.

Tempting...
:)

so ive been using the demo now for a few hours and no red asio bug. what will make it happen? btw if anybody's reading this ill trade my ableton live 9 standard for your c7.5 full. i mean, im thinking about it... its a fair trade, im just not sure its a good idea because im afraid the asio bug will rear its bastard head again. but the offers their if anybody wants to switch to ableton live 9 and doesn't want to loose money selling used.

AstralExistence wrote:so ive been using the demo now for a few hours and no red asio bug. what will make it happen?
Nothing.

Look, another "bug":
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=415803
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Call me a liar and being on a vendetta gain - I don't care anymore. But while it might not be a "bug" for you (general users), it's definitely a "feature".

It happens really random, and I've seen it on four different rigs by now. Mac or Windows, RME gear, an MBox with ASIO4all, Focusrite ADC, different SRC's, hosts loaded in either 32bit or 64bit, different latency - it doesn't matter. It's not affecting anything (at least not anything drastic), but it's still happening.

It can happen on host load, it can happen on creating a new project, it can happen on project reload (which is where it's happening for me mostly), it can happen right out of the blue if you load a new plugin into your project. It might not even happen at all. It's really, really sporadic.

Fact is that the whole "ASIO issue" is still there and could be improved upon (but won't happen anymore within the C7 cycle - currently only solutions: Cubase internal or low ASIO usage plugins only, higher latency or a new rig).
Fact is, that there are severe issues with VST3 for certain developers (actually not as drastic in Cubase than in WL, CubEndo is way more forgiving).
Fact is, that the mix console has severe issues and even GN wrote on GearSlutz that the MixConsole needs a rewrite in order to address all bugs. (SJ_Digriz can pretty much write books about that!)
Another fact is, that apparently the x64 version runs less sluggish than the 32bit version (my personal impression from daily usage) - and we might even see a 64bit only version in the near future.

However... A lot of users spread over the internet (Facebook, Twitter, KVR, GearSlutz, Steinberg's own board!) consider C7 faulty and a way too rushed/overpriced release, also criticize the way too short release cycles. It's like VST5 to SX1, or SX3 to C4, or even WL5 to WL6 (which introduced "cross platform" usability and VST3 - and let's not even get started on that!). It takes a couple of major versions until things run really smooth without mass patching and disimprovements. But if you want to get on the "paid beta key" train, C7.5 is basically C8 beta already.

If you're not on the big engines (Cubase or Nuendo Full), but rather on LE/Elements and a "casual user"... there should barely be any real issues/showstoppers. You definitely get what you pay for - and for this, it's more than fine. But if you're among the power users... especially a long-term one, you're basically sh*t out of luck on certain ends.

If you can live with the issues, know your workarounds and want to go for it, nobody is stopping you - it's still a very capable host - and I use it daily despite it's issues. But you've been warned that C7.x is definitely not a "shiny" release, and a lot(!) has happened in terms of fixing until 7.5.20 (current version as of this moment).

Something that wouldn't have been the case, if it weren't for us "delusional" users that are constantly "out on a vendetta". Just to mention the obvious here.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Call me a liar and being on a vendetta gain - I don't care anymore. But while it might not be a "bug" for you (general users), it's definitely a "feature".

Something that wouldn't have been the case, if it weren't for us "delusional" users that are constantly "out on a vendetta". Just to mention the obvious here.
To put things in perspective:
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... m=facebook

I don't know if US based site that Steinberg stuff is not there, but still things/shit happends from time to time.

5% of ProTools users reverted back to previous version due to issues.

Do you know what was really funny on the thread that I quoted earlier?
standalone wrote:Look, another "bug":
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=415803
That, indeed, hibidy reported a bug very similar to what the OP in that thread believed he was experiencing.

But hibidy uses Studio One, not Cubase.

So, "it's a bug, it's a bug! You have just found one of the million bugs in Cubase" and the guy that started that thread never posted again. He probably uninstalled Cubase's demo and that's it, mission accomplished.

Just like in this thread, many people like AstralExistence believe that the moment you run Cubase you start experiencing Asio issues. After all, that's what they read everyday in this forum.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

And yet somehow I manage to have > 1k track projects with 40+ VSL Instrument Pros, 5 or 6 H5s and/or Kontakts, a few amp sims, some VSTi (Diva, Zebra etc..), a handfull of BFD-3 instances and countless plugins without crashes or overloads on a 4+ year old system. I've also never clicked the freeze button ... other than to see what it does (bounce for idiots) a couple of times.

EDIT: I'm not saying their aren't bugs, but this particular issue is overblown and irrelevant %99 of the time.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
I don't get it. :shrug:

Why not just wait until they announce that Cubase 8 is near to being shipped and then just go buy Cubase 7? Why let Steiny earn interest on your money for an app you won't even be using?

Makes no sense to me personally but horses for courses.

LawrenceF wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
I don't get it. :shrug:

Why not just wait until they announce that Cubase 8 is near to being shipped and then just go buy Cubase 7? Why let Steiny earn interest on your money for an app you won't even be using?

Makes no sense to me personally but horses for courses.
We are saying the same thing, I just didn't say when to buy the prior version. However, it has to be the last Full version prior to the .5. It doesn't work from .5 to next .0 at least it didn't from 6.5 to 7.

And the grace period is not a free upgrade between major releases.

EDIT: I also think this is all way more trouble than it is worth. I just buy the releases when they come out and view it as annual maintenance. Trust me, there is software that has a far and mean FAR higher cost of ownership.

SJ_Digriz wrote:EDIT: I'm not saying their aren't bugs, but this particular issue is overblown and irrelevant %99 of the time.
While I might not have that many instruments running in real time, I juggle 48+ projects on an i7 920 from Mid 2008. I don't consider this ASIO "feature" a bug, but actually just a minor annoyance.

We both know that there is more broken in C7 - it's annoying, but it's still usable. Can't add much more.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”