Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:It also says... in the Guide.... The people you are allegedly so concerned about having to answer these questions will be aware of this....
You're wrong:
DarkStar wrote:I have not read through the User Guide
but at least you're consistent in your untruthfulness.
whyterabbyt wrote:http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/P ... lugins_VST

it will usually up the quality for render (Voxengo plugins do this, so does Image-Line's Sytrus and Fxpansion's BFD)."
So Reaper renders Voxengo, Image-Line's Sytrus, and Fxpansion's BFD worse than other DAWs at default values.
whyterabbyt wrote:Not enabling special options as a result of offline rendering status would mean plugins render at the same quality they do as when they play in realtime, correct?
Actually rendering at worse quality than real-time in numerous reported cases (and confirmed personally).
whyterabbyt wrote:finally you've changed from claiming 'bad quality sound' to claiming 'inferior sound'
But really I called it "worse", not "bad", in the original title. At least you're consistent in your untruthfulness.
whyterabbyt wrote:This is the first time he's used something that could be considered a relative claim rather than an absolute one....
But really I called it "worse", not "bad", in the original title. At least you're consistent in your untruthfulness.
whyterabbyt wrote:not being clear what its relative to
But really I clarified "than other DAWs" in the original title. At least you're consistent in your untruthfulness.
whyterabbyt wrote:and is only comparitively describable as 'inferior' when compared any optional 'extra quality' mode that a plugin might have.
Not only that, also inferior to other DAWs. At least you're consistent in your untruthfulness -- so consistent, it's looking like an impairment.
Last edited by BachRules on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you criticize Spitfire Audio, the mods will lock the thread.

Burillo wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Burillo wrote:i guess, what he refers to "inferior" is

1) rendering in realtime mode at full speed - notes may be dropped because the plugin thinks it's running out of time
2) inferior quality settings for synths like DCAM Synth Squad, who give user an option to oversample on render, but since the plugin thinks it's still realtime, higher oversampling isn't used on render

these could be valid points, if not all the bullshit that he brought in with them.
They may well be, but the problem is not a bug but an option, to be set by the user (if they need to) - tick the box and Reaper behaves like any other DAW in this respect. Obviously the intention is for the user to decide based on which plugins they have and how they behave under different conditions. When setting up prefs in any DAW we all know there's an element of trial and error.

Afaik it's the only DAW that actually gives you that option in the first place.
the problem, as he sees it, is that by default it's off, meaning REAPER won't use that option unless you specifically ask it to (i.e. REAPER doesn't by default make use of full potential of the plugin). i would expect to be the other way around - let the plugins work as intended, and disable if one of the plugins misbehaves in offline mode (and bring it up with the developer of said plugin). that said, i think it's understandable that developers opted for a "safer" default.
Yes I know - but that is still not a bug or even a flaw - one could make reasonable arguments for or against having it set to 'default' but regardless, it's hardly a major issue. My experience of Reaper design philosophy is that they tend not to set things to 'on' in settings for new users unless they are things that are needed on all systems rather than choices the user needs to make based on their specific conditions - of which plugins you have would be one such condition. At most one could make a case for setting up a poll to see which setting users would prefer as a 'factory settings' type starting point.

BachRules wrote:So Reaper renders Voxengo, Image-Line's Sytrus, and Fxpansion's BFD worse than other DAWs at default values.
It's an option in the host. Fortunately you can change it!

Anyone who has developed software knows how difficult it is to choose "the one" option that's correct for 1000's or potentially millions of users.

Get over yourself! FFS.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
BachRules wrote:So Reaper renders Voxengo, Image-Line's Sytrus, and Fxpansion's BFD worse than other DAWs at default values.
It's an option in the host. Fortunately you can change it!

Anyone who has developed software knows how difficult it is to choose "the one" option that's correct for 1000's or potentially millions of users.

Get over yourself! FFS.
but you don't understand! the synth he wrote a few header files for has won the Uber Mega Awards!
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

He quite obviously hasn't the slightest clue about anything related to synthesizers, audio plugins or their interface specifications.

He's probably if anything responsible for all the bugs in the awe32.

Or, he put together some of the sample libs for it. If so I'd like to point out the mess you made when you forgot to remove a lot of the offsets in the samples.

Or, some of the presets.

Just what exactly did you do? You obviously have no grasp of modern interfaces. What have you done recently?
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

For crying out loud people.
Stop feeding the troll.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

We've been through the don't feed the troll thing. Now he needs to realize we're eating him up.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Very interesting revelation, if nothing more has come out of this thread.

why do you assume other DAW's inform plugins of offline render?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:why do you assume other DAW's inform plugins of offline render?
Because other DAWs are able to render EWQL Play and Vienna Instruments without dropping notes.

aciddose wrote:He quite obviously hasn't the slightest clue about anything related to synthesizers, audio plugins or their interface specifications.
So why did Julius Smith, John Pierce, and John Chowning give me all those a's? Are you saying that they haven't the slightest clue either?

BachRules wrote:
BachRules wrote:So Reaper renders Voxengo, Image-Line's Sytrus, and Fxpansion's BFD exactly as well as other DAWs when set up to do so .
FTFY.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

aciddose wrote:Just what exactly did you do?
DSP at ring0.

BachRules wrote:
aciddose wrote:He quite obviously hasn't the slightest clue about anything related to synthesizers, audio plugins or their interface specifications.
So why did Julius Smith, John Pierce, and John Chowning give me all those a's?
For your ability to lie about what's in an API spec in order to justify a specious argument?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
BachRules wrote:
BachRules wrote:So Reaper renders Voxengo, Image-Line's Sytrus, and Fxpansion's BFD exactly as well as other DAWs when set up to do so .
FTFY.
Personally I am shocked to hear that any DAW would not sound as good as other DAWs when not set up properly.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”