Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

By default, Reaper tells plug-ins it's working online even when it's rendering offline.

As a result, Kontakt, EWQL Play, and Vienna Instruments drop notes during offline rendering if they think they're running out of time.

Also as a result of the misinformation from Reaper, Kontakt renders using time-saving interpolation instead of best-quality.
If you criticize Spitfire Audio, the mods will lock the thread.

eh? i think it's the other way around - by default, REAPER informs plugins of offline rendering. although it's been a while since i set it up...
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:eh? i think it's the other way around - by default, REAPER informs plugins of offline rendering. although it's been a while since i set it up...
I believe Reaper defaults not to inform of offline. That was my experience, and also reported here:

http://forum.cockos.com/archive/index.php/t-83815.html

More discussion here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=141758

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=142218

While I agree that the default setting isn't necessarily the most sensible choice, is there any particular reason why this has to be mentioned in such a "sensational" way? Why not something more constructive such as "How to improve rendering quality in Reaper"? IMO it sounds like the rant of a butt-hurt user the way it is now ;)

But as I said, I agree wrt the message - the default should be to inform plugins of offline rendering IMO. Then again, the option is not exactly hidden and clearly visible if you set up your plugin directories. And the typical Reaperist is used to customizing the settings to their need anyway, right?

BachRules wrote:
Burillo wrote:eh? i think it's the other way around - by default, REAPER informs plugins of offline rendering. although it's been a while since i set it up...
I believe Reaper defaults not to inform of offline. That was my experience, and also reported here:
http://forum.cockos.com/archive/index.php/t-83815.html
More discussion here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=141758
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=142218
From that thread:
"That is indicative of a bug or a design flaw in the plugin."

And the Title is nonsense   :nutter:
ImageImage

paterpeter wrote:While I agree that the default setting isn't necessarily the most sensible choice, is there any particular reason why this has to be mentioned in such a "sensational" way?
Reaper sounds sensationally worse than other DAWs, and I guess that is why the facts seem "sensational" to you.

Speaking of "particular" reasons, is there any particular reason Reaper lies to plug-ins and sounds bad?
paterpeter wrote:Why not something more constructive such as "How to improve rendering quality in Reaper"?
As you can see from the links above, that question has been raised for years, and Reaper has knowingly decided to continue sounding bad. If you think it would be constructive to ask a question that's already been raised for years, I'm not stopping you.
paterpeter wrote:IMO it sounds like the rant of a butt-hurt user the way it is now ;)
IMO your post sounds like the rant of someone butt-hurt by the facts.

Now you're just getting ridiculous, I'm out. Have fun with your pet peeve.

WOK wrote:From that thread:
"That is indicative of a bug or a design flaw in the plugin."
But he was talking about something else, and you quoted him out of context.
some plugins may do wrong things when they get the notification to offline render and offline render IS actually happening. That is indicative of a bug or a design flaw in the plugin.
His argument is absurd. He's saying that Reaper should lie, because maybe some flawed plug-in will act better if Reaper lies, never mind all the plug-ins which aren't flawed and expect the truth from the DAW. Absurd.
Last edited by BachRules on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

paterpeter wrote:Now you're just getting ridiculous.... Have fun with your pet peeve.
Same to you.

As pointed by other users, the title is ridiculous. In the worse scenario, you could just point out to a bug (which is somehow debatable, since you can change your settings) in rendering at high quality, not that "Reaper sounds worse than other DAWs". That title is completely misinforming and out of context.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:As pointed by other users, the title is ridiculous. In the worse scenario, you could just point out to a bug (which is somehow debatable, since you can change your settings) in rendering at high quality, not that "Reaper sounds worse than other DAWs". That title is completely misinforming and out of context.
Why couldn't it be pointed out that the bug makes Reaper sound worse than other DAWs? The title is good. People using Reaper at default with Kontakt is normal. What's ridiculous is your difficulty coping with a statement of the facts. If you have a problem with the facts, change Reaper's behavior, don't complain about truthful reporting.

Quit inviting developers to produce bad-sounding software, because they will continue producing bad-sounding software if you keep inviting it. If you can't handle the facts about a DAW being reported, you have issues more serious than bad sound from your DAW.

usually it's the other way round - people often claim REAPER to be superior in terms of everything and then some...
:hihi:

The title is stupid and ridiculous. Change the setting and go on with your life.
BachRules wrote:Also as a result of the misinformation from Reaper, Kontakt renders using time-saving interpolation instead of best-quality.
This doesn't matter if a library is chromatically sampled and it doesn't use any form of resampling (changing tuning), or if the groups are already using a better HQI mode.

So you're using
BachRules wrote:bad-sounding software
that has
BachRules wrote:bugs
:clap:

:hihi:

ROFL

Calling a DAW "sounding worse" just because you got some note chopping issues is ridiculous. The title is DEFINITELY totally off.

Chopping off notes doesn't mean it sounds worse. In this case it just means that the wrong setting in Reaper isn't playing all notes.

Conclusion: Swap to another DAW already or change settings, and stop whining.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”