DrumsAnywhere: Turn any surface into an Electronic Drum Kit.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCBUMfYh8lQ

http://www.drumsanywhere.com/

DrumsAnywhere: Turn any surface into an Electronic Drum Kit.
DrumsAnywhere is a new innovative software that will turn any ordinary surface (e.g. your desk, everyday objects, or even the walls and the floor of your room) into an advanced electronic drum set. No extra hardware needed apart of a single microphone. Use practically anything as your drum pads, really! Download a free demo here.

How it works?

1. Attach a microphone into your surface. A contact (piezo) microphone is recommended.
2. Indicate the position of the virtual drum pads by tapping a few times on your surface.
3. That’s all! Now, you can enjoy the most realistic, natural and fun drumming experience possible. Use a drumstick, a pencil or even your fingers to play your percussion.

Features

Velocity-sensitive and highly responsive

Just like the expensive electronic drum kits, DrumsAnywhere is also velocity sensitive. In simple words, this means that the harder you hit the surface, the louder the drum sound will be. This allows you to play drums very expressively. Capture the nuance and the expressive power of the human drummer.

Low-latency performance

For drummers, low latency is very important. There must be no audible delay between the time the drum is struck, and when the sound is heard. DrumsAnywhere is optimized for ultra-fast response.

For this reason, ASIO compatibility is provided. DrumsAnywhere will work with ordinary (non-ASIO) sound cards as well.

High quality digital sounds

DrumsAnywhere comes bundled with quality percussion kits suitable for different styles of music. (Acoustic, Rock, Jazz, Epic, TR-808, Classical, Dubstep, Latin.)

You use your own sounds as well. Your imagination is the limit.

MIDI output

DrumsAnywhere can be used as a MIDI controller as well. It can send MIDI output to the software of your choice (Cubase, Logic, Ableton Live, Pro Tools, VST/AU plug-ins, etc.). Record your performances as MIDI files.

http://www.drumsanywhere.com/

Looks nifty.
I'll give it a try if a Mac version is released.

Cool concept, similar to DspTrigger except this one looks like it has the drums built in, not sure if it can do midi out? My Kickpo can do it too. I only have a 2-input soundcard, it would be cheaper just to buy a Rockband set.

Ok I see there's midi out-I'll check it out, do you really need a zillion input soundcard for this?
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Looks great !! Does it support stick bounces, buzz rolls etc ?? Will there be a mac version ??
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

This tool reminds me a bit of the "position sensing" of AudioFront's DSP Trigger. Thich is an interesting concept.

Basically, the single piezo mic is recording the "surface" (in the video a wooden table), and the software analyzes the pitch of the hit and the distance to it, and then routes it to the appropriate pads. This is indeed an interesting and great concept, as it would make using several piezo's for a multi kit system pretty much obsolete. And it might overhaul the custom drumpad idea I had for taiko drums.

Though a couple of things that kind of worry me on that video:
You played fairly "soft" on the table. Granted, you didn't want to damage it. But what about the dynamic range?
What if a surface like a mouse pad is used? Does it pick up the distance/pitch just as well?

And can it be used as a VSTi, or is it a standalone that needs to be re-routed towards the host of your choice?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Uh, I installed the demo into Sandboxie(I don't install anything directly to the hard drive), had to update dot net first(thanks for the dependencies), it keeps crashing and I can't get it to recognize any input.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

What .NET Framework did it need?

Did it install a VSTi version, RunBeerRun?

If not, I think I'll pass on this one out until it's more fleshed out.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

RunBeerRun wrote:Cool concept, similar to DspTrigger except this one looks like it has the drums built in, not sure if it can do midi out? My Kickpo can do it too. I only have a 2-input soundcard, it would be cheaper just to buy a Rockband set.

Ok I see there's midi out-I'll check it out, do you really need a zillion input soundcard for this?
Yes it has MIDI output. Only a standard mic input is needed.

RunBeerRun wrote:Uh, I installed the demo into Sandboxie(I don't install anything directly to the hard drive), had to update dot net first(thanks for the dependencies), it keeps crashing and I can't get it to recognize any input.
It is unlikely that DrumsAnywhere will function correctly in a sandboxed environment.

What about kick drum and hi hat? Can't play those with sticks while doing everything else. Is there a way to add pedals?

Compyfox wrote: Though a couple of things that kind of worry me on that video:
You played fairly "soft" on the table. Granted, you didn't want to damage it. But what about the dynamic range?
What if a surface like a mouse pad is used? Does it pick up the distance/pitch just as well?

And can it be used as a VSTi, or is it a standalone that needs to be re-routed towards the host of your choice?
-There is no problem with the range. You can play as as you wish as soon as there is no . (Mic levels are auto adjusted, but you can always lower the mic volume manually if needed.)

-A surface like a mouse pad works fine.

-DrumsAnywhere provides a virtual MIDI device so you can send its ouput to a VSTi or any other MIDI gear.

and this is where the problems start...

For example:
If you use an ASIO host like Cubase, the ASIO drivers are "bound" to that host. But if your tool (DrumsANywhere) also accesses the ASIO drivers to get access to the microphone, I can already imagine several issues.

Hence the question if there will be a VSTi version.

Furthermore... what .NET Framework does this one need?

Is there a possibility to adjust the velocity sensitivity? Looks great ;)

Compyfox wrote:and this is where the problems start...

For example:
If you use an ASIO host like Cubase, the ASIO drivers are "bound" to that host. But if your tool (DrumsANywhere) also accesses the ASIO drivers to get access to the microphone, I can already imagine several issues.

Hence the question if there will be a VSTi version.

Furthermore... what .NET Framework does this one need?
In ASIO mode the output channel is released by DrumsAnywhere so other ASIO applications can use it. (Part of the demo was created by sending the output of DrumsAnywhere to VST instruments.) We expreienced no problem in that.

Of course if both apps want to use the same microphone channel at the same time, it is not possible in ASIO mode.

However this is perfectly possible when using the software in "normal" (non-ASIO) mode in which you can share the microphone with other applications at the same time.

.Net Framework 4 is required. It is auto installed by the software in case you don't have it.

Dazed Veins wrote:Is there a possibility to adjust the velocity sensitivity? Looks great ;)
Of course. Just use the "velocity sensitivity" slider on the top right.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”