cubase6 - midi tempo

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello peeps,

Quick question - something I've not had to do before with MIDI. Recorded a piece of midi with the click off. Tempo was set at 120. The tempo the MIDI has been played in at is actually much slower.. around 80.

Whats the easiest way to change the project tempo without affecting the tempo of the recorded piece of midi?

Michael

Manual: Tempo Track - Tap Tempo
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Parrotspain on the cubase forum explained it for me:

Hi,

If you simply want to change the project tempo without changing the MIDI performance, switch the channels to linear (clockface) from 'musical' (crotchet) timebase. That should do the trick.

P

mike@manike wrote:Parrotspain on the cubase forum explained it for me:

Hi,

If you simply want to change the project tempo without changing the MIDI performance, switch the channels to linear (clockface) from 'musical' (crotchet) timebase. That should do the trick.

P
If the MIDI part is in linear base, tempo changes do not alter the timing of its MIDI events. When the track is in musical base the events will obey the tempo. I'm assuming the parts played in with Tempo Track unactivated.

So the thing in the OP has to be addressed by determining tempo vis a vis bar lines etc. One way to achieve this is via the Time Warp Tool. (First, activate Tempo Track.)
Since the barlines from 120 are not correct, find a downbeat and drag a barline, either in the project window or the key editor (or drum editor) to what should be the barline. Find the next downbeat and do the same move. Now you have taught Cubase the real tempo from this bar to the next. If that's going to be consistent, just type that in for the rest of the things to the right of it (it's going to create more tempos based in the tempo track '120' for its calculations). Or you can continue to define the timeline precisely to the reality of the performance (in the key and drum editors you can define each beat down to your definition of beat, in addition to the barlines).
Use plain 'Time Warp Tool'; the implementation with 'Musical Events Follow' is not the one for this particular task, since you only want to change the tempo, not the events. Do consult the manual.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”