Reason 8 - Official

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

https://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/reason8/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9MNgJAbXc

Not much info, just say it reworked the interface and workflow, plus new amp models.

wow... they invented the "drag and drop"! :hihi:

Lol, it's such a silly update unfortunately. Other DAW have had drag n drop + usable browser for a long time and now they want to charge $129 for previous user.

I remember when i demoed reason 7, i was very annoyed by their lack of usable browser. I might demo it again once it's released but honestly it's a lackluster update. If i own reason 7 i'd be pretty pissed with that update price.
musisikamar.com

The browser is obviously much needed for enhanced workflow, so that's nice. But charging 129€ for that along with the iOS layout and some outdated Softube amps is a bit cheeky.

Finally someone has successfully reinvented the wheel! :hihi:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Hope there is a lot more under the hood than what is seen thus far. Read there are should some improvements to the sequencer which is also sorely needed. Don't see the big innovation or sellable feature beyond the browser.

I'm still waiting for a "playback cursor auto return to start" function.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Is it funny to bash Reason? :x
It's not the separate features that count, the whole usablity of product is what counts.
If Reason 8 makes a big difference on workflow, then that's not a small thing, it's a HUGE THING!

deep'n'dark wrote:Is it funny to bash Reason? :x
It's not the separate features that count, the whole usablity of product is what counts.
If Reason 8 makes a big difference on workflow, then that's not a small thing, it's a HUGE THING!
We're laughing at the update price. Does the 129$ justified due to a new browser and cosmetic improvement?

Of course it's a huge thing on workflow, reason doesn't have competent browser in the first place. But this kind of thing is supposed to be a basic feature of any modern daw, not selling point for update. :hihi:
musisikamar.com

deep'n'dark wrote:Is it funny to bash Reason? :x
While I like Reason... but come on, how many years we waited for drag & drop for nnxt and kong? You'd think they put this under bug column rather than the next big thing. I'm sure I'll pay for it since I love NNXT and Kong, but this is beyond underwhelming for the upgrade price tag.

While i can't resist to laugh at 129$ for drag and drop and cosmetic overhaul (sorry reason users - but it's been like that for ever - everything what is already out there for quite some time read decades - is being sold to every Reason user as something "revolutionary") - i don't believe this is all. For instance they are saying a word or two about new bass amp, and likely there are some new synths or FX inside..

Just a guess of course..

But i can't resist to laugh...quite honestly i was thinking that they had that already. But seeing how dude drag and drop preset to device was a facepalm because it is friggin 2014...

Add to that that newly released RE will likely need minimum R8 to work with - people are going to be pissed - again just my guess not official fact
Last edited by kmonkey on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well I'm not gonna drop any anticritics before I've had chance to try it. 129euros is not a small amount of money, is true. Even tho some vsts cost as much as the whole Reason alltogether.

kmonkey wrote:While i can't resist to laugh at 129$ for drag and drop and cosmetic overhaul (sorry reason users - but it's been like that for ever - everything what is already out there for quite some time read decades - is being sold to every Reason user as something "revolutionary") - i don't believe this is all. For instance they are saying a word or two about new bass amp, and likely there are some new synths or FX inside..

Just a guess of course..

But i can't resist to laugh...quite honestly i was thinking that they had that already. But seeing how dude drag and drop preset to device was a facepalm because it is friggin 2014...

Add to that that newly released RE will likely need minimum R8 to work with - people are going to be pissed - again just my guess not official fact
Would it be better that they never catch up for drag n drop and such. If you'd be running propellerhead, would you be a freelancer and eat snow?

kmonkey wrote:For instance they are saying a word or two about new bass amp, and likely there are some new synths or FX
I wouldn't bet on that beyond the amps they are showing. They have shown that they are going the RE route for instruments as well and no reason to change that now since it makes them more money

deep'n'dark wrote:
Would it be better that they never catch up for drag n drop and such. If you'd be running propellerhead, would you be a freelancer and eat snow?
Sorry man maybe i am stupid and naive but in scenario where i run such company believe me when i say to you and to the rest of the world - I WOULD NOT FORCE YOU TO PAY FOR SOMETHING SO MANDATORY AS DRAG AND DROP - something which has been pretty much workflow definition in every god damn operating system worldwide since the (almost) beginning of operating system era - is it so hard to understand that? And keep in mind that they already earned in their revenue. They don't exist since yesterday. No need for freelancing nonsense. You would be extremely naive to think otherwise.

Look at this copied from their website: They say the devil is in the details, and Reason 8 packs a slew of small improvements to the workflow. Double-click to add notes and double-click notes to delete them. Resize from both edges and duplicate notes with a quick command. Tracks are named after the patch you load.

Jesus and Maria and Saint Moses what the hell...this is exactly how everyone else in the industry is doing it. At this point i will genuinely say that i want to apologize for everyone using Reason seeing this (my critic) as an insult because it is not. I am shocked that they are essentially following everyone else in the industry with the lag of 10 years - and they are making this as a paid upgrade.

again don't make my word for it but i am sure something more is under the hood - maybe they are just testing public with this release to see how far they can go with the upgrade package - maybe
Last edited by kmonkey on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”