CPU spikes with OpenGL VST plugins - any solutions?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have you tried dpc latency checker?

You can also try to install a different DAW for testing (eg. Reaper). It can be a problem in combination with the DAW, this is also known to be sometimes a problem with Cubase. There is sometimes a not good working combination of the drivers, the graphic card, the DAW, the plug-in... It seems the plug-in is using some OpenGL routines which are emulated by the CPU instead of using the accelerated version.

I had a similar problem with Cubase 7, newer Waves plug-ins and my i7 on-board graphic. Spikes if moving knobs and stuff. IMO this is solved but I cannot say if it has something to do with Windows 8 (and some updates of the drivers, I use the default drivers from Windows) or some of the updates by Waves.

The power saving features might need to be disabled from BIOS too..
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

cfgyhjvhjkyhulibiul
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xfgjvihklojboijmikom
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bad news! Presonus might not fix it unless more people have the problem. Changing the gfx card could help if you know which card is ok! Maybe other Presonus users with the same plugs could help? Maybe stick with Reaper?

wxfgjcfghjcghkjcgh
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You could do a windows backup of your system as it is now, create a restore CD and then install fresh. Install minimum software for a test, If the fresh install still spikes, you can restore the setup as it was.

Silly question : Your Windows 7 is a full version and not slimmed down/service removed? Do you have any software power save utils running? It could be some software is messing things up.

I compared the GTX 760 vs 750. Yours is a more powerful spec gaming video card. They say it boasts twice the performance of previous cards. So it could be over powered for DAW use. I might expect trouble with a DAW and heavy gaming card tho some have been fine. I have much lower spec Geforce 9500 GT.

cx gfhjcgkvhjlhkl
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eclectus wrote:
UltraJv wrote:Silly question : Your Windows 7 is a full version and not slimmed down/service removed? Do you have any software power save utils running? It could be some software is messing things up.

I compared the GTX 760 vs 750. Yours is a more powerful spec gaming video card. They say it boasts twice the performance of previous cards. So it could be over powered for DAW use. I might expect trouble with a DAW and heavy gaming card tho some have been fine. I have much lower spec Geforce 9500 GT.
Well my Windows is heavily tweaked, but no services were removed. Some aren't running, so theoretically it could be that. I'll have to reinstall my system soon, just to check that out.

As to the graphics card, since Reaper has no problems... I think it cannot be the graphics subsystem at fault here!
Ive seen strange problems with tweaked systems, It wouldn't surpise me if that was the cause. I have minimum/almost no tweaks here. Windows 7/8 dosnt need it.

Oh yeah, studio one is THE WORST daw with cpu settings by far. I have to work around it even with my 4770......has nothing to do with the graphics. Reaper on the other hand is THE BEST at handling things.

Frankly, I like the features of studio one better, so again, I work around it.

Studio One and FabFilter work fine here.

Have you set your processor to Background Services?

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > Performance settings button > Advanced tab (again) > select Background Services

See if that helps.

xfhjchgkcghjkvhju
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Actually that may be part of the problem then. I'd advise against setting processor to background services, it can actually make things worse! Especially in Win 7/8
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”