CPU spikes with OpenGL VST plugins - any solutions?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wxfghcx fhjcghj
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eclectus wrote:Sooooo, I installed Reaper, and recreated a small test project that showed massive CPU spikes in Studio One. (Just one D16 Phoscyon + one Fabfilter Pro-Q 2, spiked from about 5% to about 45% all the time.) And... No spikes in Reaper! Perfectly stable, low CPU usage, no audio dropouts. I therefore think that the problem is somehow tied to Studio One, and not my system.

I'm now trying to convince Presonus support that they should look into this. They had previously replied that the problem surely wasn't theirs... and took 3 days to come up with that answer :(
I experienced this today. Same setup: Studio one, phoscyon and ff pro Q 2. This happened when I added the Pro Q 2 to a channel. Massive audio dropouts...
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

xcfjcgyhjkcvukylvyhiluuil
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I experienced something similar to your issue, but nowhere near as extreme when I demoed Fabfilter Timeless II within Studio One V2.6.2 x64.
My graphics card is much more modest: just a low end ATI Radeon (the ATI Win x64 Radeon drivers aren't the greatest BTW):

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4#p5961154

When opening the GUI, the CPU usage for that plugin jumped from about 6% to around 16% (as measured in S1 performance monitor) once it had all settled down it was back to around 6%.

I ended up going for a different delay VST in the end, mainly because of the complexity and price tag of Timeless but partly the issue mentioned did play a small part in my decision.

I have to say it is refreshing to see someone actually doing some proper analysis to find the root cause rather than simply blaming the DAW. I think you are probably on the right track with this one.

Have you sent your Sysinternals Performance Explorer stats to Presonus Support ?

Good luck :tu:
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

xfhjc ghkvh jlbvhjilbjil

Sorry, I meant Sysinternals Process Explorer not Performance Explorer. My mistake.

OK, I have steered clear of the Presonus forum for some months now.
However, it does seem to be a bit more sensible since it was relaunched, so I will register again and join your thread with my experiences re S1 and OpenGL.

I will also raise a bug report with Presonus support too, I hope this will help your cause.

At the end of the day establishing facts and presenting them to software developers is the way forward. Opinions can be dismissed, but once facts are established they are harder to ignore.
It was Reason 5, doing 100's of useless file I/O operations per second.
Software developers :!: Bless their little cotton socks :roll:
I believe that every single software developer should be made to support a major corporate production I.T. system for at least a year before being allowed to foist their wonderful code on the unsuspecting public :)

I wonder if you have any dev software on your PC? I cant help feeling that something has messed with OpenGL. Your Windows 7 is heavily tweaked, you said you were going to try a re install....

I have done some testing and have posted a reply on your Presonus thread.

I tried to open the studio one CPU monitor and apparently it is Phoscyon that spikes when the audio drop outs. But as I described, this first happened when the Fabfilter plugin was added, so it's pretty weird... :(

*edit

I have also described my problem in the presonus thread, hope we will find a solution/fix soon! :tu:

xfhjcg hkyvc ykuvyhuk
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First off:

1) I went through the dog n pony act with presonus YEARS ago. To the point where one of the developers was working with me through PM'S. It's a known issue, not that they know how to fix it, but they are plenty aware of it. I agree that persistence is good, but I've had studio one for a long time and have been active (VERY ACTIVE) in the fight.

2) If you have 5 hosts, and all 5 hosts give dramatically varying results, it's prolly not your system as much as the host. I find that one persons comments droll (and they went around bumping up other cpu threads with me and trolling them) :roll:

3) Considering the NI replika problem and the reference to that being openGL, I admit that I'm puzzled by what it means. I tried re-reading this thread and I'm not sure there is much the user can do. My system is already optimized. I already have all the power settings where they need to be. BUT I'm suspect that the video card could be the issue. In fact, if I have a groove three video playing AND my daw open.....when the viddy is on play......hosts show higher cpu. In live, it shows a small increase (about 5%) but in studio one it shows like 50% :o The two things I'll test (later, not tonight) are using the built in graphics (which I'd think would make it worse because of the cpu sharing) and if that doesn't improve things, then I'll try deleting my viddy card drivers and go the route of the MS default.

Clearly something isn't right. But that doesn't explain why studio one is fine with 90% of my plugs and WHOMPY with a few :shrug: Plus, when I'm working I don't have a viddy playing :? It's just when I'm referencing a video and trying things at the same time.

hibidy wrote: 2) If you have 5 hosts, and all 5 hosts give dramatically varying results, it's prolly not your system as much as the host. I find that one persons comments droll (and they went around bumping up other cpu threads with me and trolling them) :roll:
"Prolly" :!: based on what exactly :?: facts please.
How are these "results" being measured ? if this is not stated, then what is being done is *not testing*. It's just doing stuff.
Perhaps if you stuck to hard facts, people wouldn't disagree with you (you can refer to it as trolling as much as you like, but it won't wash). Nobody has a god-given right to expect their posts on a public forum, especially when no supporting facts are presented, not to be questioned or subject to scrutiny.
hibidy wrote: 3) Considering the NI replika problem and the reference to that being openGL, I admit that I'm puzzled by what it means.
The NI Replika issue affected many hosts, not just Studio One. Furthermore it has nothing to do with CPU utilisation at all. It concerned multiple instances of the plugin crashing the host.
A separate issue ne ce pas ?
hibidy wrote: My system is already optimized. I already have all the power settings where they need to be. BUT I'm suspect that the video card could be the issue. In fact, if I have a groove three video playing AND my daw open.....when the viddy is on play......hosts show higher cpu. In live, it shows a small increase (about 5%) but in studio one it shows like 50% :o
Two questions:
1) what does a groove three video have to do with the price of eggs ?

2) Once again, how and where are you measuring CPU utilisation for each running executable and its child threads ?

Also, there is much more to optimising a computer system for audio than simply tweaking power saving settings. There are several other configurations that must be considered.
hibidy wrote: Clearly something isn't right. But that doesn't explain why studio one is fine with 90% of my plugs and WHOMPY with a few :shrug: Plus, when I'm working I don't have a viddy playing :? It's just when I'm referencing a video and trying things at the same time.
Each DAW is coded differently and of course will therefore react differently to some plugins.
So no surprise that there are no issues with S1 and 90% of your plugs :wink:
That however, is no basis for some of the sweeping genaralisations that you seem to present as fact.

The OP's specific issue relates to plugins that use the OpenGL framework.
So please, let's stay on topic. If anyone is going round bumping CPU threads it's you. You are of course entitled to your opinions, but without supporting facts they are just that. Opinion.

OpenGL is notoriously CPU intensive:
https://www.google.co.uk/?#q=opengl+high+cpu+usage

For the record, the structured testing I carried out clearly shows that Sonar X2 reacted in a very similar way to S1 in terms of CPU usage to the two OpenGL plugins that were tested:

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=2301

Therefore the issue cannot be only S1 in isolation.

Has anyone upgraded their Studio One to version 3?

Does the problem still exist using the new version?

Oh no, why did you have to bump one of the stupidest threads in history on the topic?

incubus wrote:Oh no, why did you have to bump one of the stupidest threads in history on the topic?
Why do you think it is stupid? This is a legit problem for some people, me included.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”