Mixcraft 7 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Glass Viper Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio Mixcraft 10.5 Recording Studio Renegade

Well, I haven't been able to get it to crash again and I'm really falling for it's simplicity. Mucho impressed. Only thing missing so far is a channel trim for gain staging (I normally just use the item gain in Reaper).
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

lfm wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:Is it known to be a crash prone host?
Not for me anyway, but haven't run complete project through it yet.
If anything - very stable. Some minor pops in audio while playing, but nothing more than that.

Had issues with inserting SuperiorDrummer 2.4.0 - but it turned out to be a fix 2.4.1 in Nov - fixing that. So SD had some issues in other hosts too.

There is a build 248 now if that might fix anything.

Otherwise, report to their forum. Devs are really active there.

I like MC7 too, really good thinking on so many things.
Might be my runner up for continuous work.

I tried the demo (build 249) but ASIO is an horror with always audio-crackling (in x64) and ASIO and Rewire (in x86 of course) even crashes the DAW as well as the hole OS.
Also the easy to use is only for the first look, if you go into details its complicated to use and there are many important features left.
The direction of this DAW is good but in the current state it's a toy for very early beginners with DAWs.

I liked the demo enough that I bought it. Just bought a new cheap laptop with Windows 8.1. My CPU use at idle with Mixcraft 7 open, went from around 25% to around 10% after I turned off Windows defender. I bought the Pro version, as they included some really nice plugins that make it a deal $$. So far so good, liking it a lot, but I haven't made a song on it yet, needs more testing.

MorpherX wrote: I tried the demo (build 249) but ASIO is an horror with always audio-crackling (in x64) and ASIO and Rewire (in x86 of course) even crashes the DAW as well as the hole OS.
The first two times I run through at test project with 15 tracks, 3 synths - I get 1-2 pops playing it through(64 samples 24/48k). But then nothing of that sort.

But feed that back on their forum - and they seemed concerned too.

Getting pops when cpu load run and 3% and at times up to 11% - it should not pop so early.
Also the easy to use is only for the first look, if you go into details its complicated to use and there are many important features left.
The direction of this DAW is good but in the current state it's a toy for very early beginners with DAWs.
A couple of sends to reverbbus and some automation. 5-6 effect plugins in my test project.

What really needs fixing is overview of what you got so far in mixer view - like hiding unused sendknobs, a drag having your eye look through 40-50 knobs on a little larger project to see which are above zero, and thereby used. You don't have a separate create of a send.

I use nothing fancy like stretching and stuff. I use it like a taperecorder and put clips on tracks, some send and effects and done - so it's soon good enough for me if stability remain for how I use it. It's something very straight forward about it.

Running Cubase Elements it's pretty much track lanes and midi list editor I cannot live without so look at maybe going Artist version. But there are so many things about Cubase that feel outdated and a lot of addons over the years - not fully thought through. Elements worked really well, but don't like that way of working.

I think Mixcraft will be there for me sooner than Cubase. I find implementation of track lanes and loop recording smooth in MC, as well as submix busses, multiout instruments - just easy to collapse/expand. In Cubase you need to have the busses in that particular folder - what you have that belong together cannot stay together. A project soon is spaghetti in Cubase. But Reaper is good too in this sense - put things where they belong.

So until I get some major issue I'll put some new projects into MC7.

any detailed info on the clip launcher? can you record audio and or midi into clips?

the Step Editor looks interesting as well

Step Editor For Fun and Inspiring Beat and Pattern Creation

Rapidly create pattern-based rhythmic and musical phrases with the new Step Editor’s intuitive grid-based interface.

http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/mixcraft-7-whats-new.html

memyselfandus wrote:any detailed info on the clip launcher? can you record audio and or midi into clips?
They call it performance panel in manual.

"Arm – Clicking the Arm button causes any playback of sets to record in the main
clip grid. This is a powerful tool for song creation, enabling continuous recording
of set group performances, including changing sets, muting and soloing of clips and
more. It’s especially fun and creative when using a hardware USB grid controller.
Keep in mind that Performance Panel “recordings” don’t actually create new audio
files on your hard drive, they only create new clips in the main clip grid that refer
to existing audio files. This means you can go nuts creating songs without filling
your hard drive!"

Seems to be a lot of value in the plugins in the Higher Priced Pro Studio version

http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/mixcraft- ... ml#compare

Do all the plugins in the Higher Priced Pro Studio version get installed in one install?

abovethoughts wrote:Seems to be a lot of value in the plugins in the Higher Priced Pro Studio version

http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/mixcraft- ... ml#compare

Do all the plugins in the Higher Priced Pro Studio version get installed in one install?
I didn't test them all out yet, but I believe so.

toine6 wrote:I liked the demo enough that I bought it. Just bought a new cheap laptop with Windows 8.1. My CPU use at idle with Mixcraft 7 open, went from around 25% to around 10% after I turned off Windows defender. I bought the Pro version, as they included some really nice plugins that make it a deal $$. So far so good, liking it a lot, but I haven't made a song on it yet, needs more testing.
Defender is getting on my nerves as well. Since I replace Security Essentials I am getting a Defender update notification every day now. Is Defender necessary when I have a good AV program?

I don't use any kind of AV program or defender. But I'm careful about what I'm clicking on on the internet. I run an online virus scan every once in a while, haven't had any real problem in years.

MC7 seems very solid, hasn't crashed once so far :)
I don't get any dropouts and pops, either, despite using an AMD processor. I only get them when I put my computer in power saving mode, and when I have Chrome open and some site is doing something, for instance checking for new mail. So I close my browser whenever I can...

toine6 wrote:I don't use any kind of AV program or defender. But I'm careful about what I'm clicking on on the internet. I run an online virus scan every once in a while, haven't had any real problem in years.
I did not even know Defender was on my computer and running.

Yes, with some reason and caution one can avoid most dangers on the Internet :)

lfm wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:any detailed info on the clip launcher? can you record audio and or midi into clips?
They call it performance panel in manual.

"Arm – Clicking the Arm button causes any playback of sets to record in the main
clip grid. This is a powerful tool for song creation, enabling continuous recording
of set group performances, including changing sets, muting and soloing of clips and
more. It’s especially fun and creative when using a hardware USB grid controller.
Keep in mind that Performance Panel “recordings” don’t actually create new audio
files on your hard drive, they only create new clips in the main clip grid that refer
to existing audio files. This means you can go nuts creating songs without filling
your hard drive!"
Thank you

fluffy_little_something wrote:MC7 seems very solid, hasn't crashed once so far :)
I don't get any dropouts and pops, either, despite using an AMD processor. I only get them when I put my computer in power saving mode, and when I have Chrome open and some site is doing something, for instance checking for new mail. So I close my browser whenever I can...

Hi,

it depends on how many heavy VSTis you have loaded and which audio-drivers you have and of course the audio buffer-size.
As far as I know they are working on improving ReWire and ASIO behaviour.
The latest beta seems to be a bit better, whith less crackles with ASIO drivers.

So "it's great and cool and is easy to use" but has ASIO issues? :?

This just puzzles me. So many good hosts (feature wise) that can't even perform well on modern computers. Shouldn't this be the top priority? Sorry, had to vent.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”