Every day Daw should have a separate area for getting ideas together unless we can get a VST plug-in

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some sort of thing like Ableton has were you have multiple cells where you can record and or mouse in notes and the drag anywhere into the main project.
Last edited by memyselfandus on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thats the beauty of Orion and its pattern based workflow.... i can create hundreds of ideas and move them all around till everything fits. YMMV

While I get it, I will very respectfully and politely disagree.

Every daw shouldn't have that imo, only the daws designed for people who actually want that should have that, and most of them already do, Live, Bitwig, Orion, Mixcraft, etc, etc. It's like saying... "Every DAW should have Cubase's chord track, then users could just click in chords."... when thousands if not millions of people don't even want it or need it.

Otoh, every daw probably should have a real solo bus because every real mixer ever made does. And every daw should allow you to tab through name fields and rename tracks because that has been a data entry standard since about... 2 years before Jesus died.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I say it with humor. It would be nice. :-). In fact.. instead of every daw having this option. Why in the world is there not a VST plug-in that covers all of this stuff yet???

Kriminal wrote:Thats the beauty of Orion and its pattern based workflow.... i can create hundreds of ideas and move them all around till everything fits. YMMV
I still need to check Orion out a little bit more. Do you have any examples? Any videos or something I can check out?

memyselfandus wrote:I say it with humor. It would be nice. :-).
I know. :lol: I do know where I am, on KVR where the common wish is that everything ever made was shaped to be really good at electronic music so when we get the urge, we can just drop anything and use anything else because they all do all the same stuff.

Trust me, I get it. :hihi:

What do you mean with "multiple cells"? MIDI files?

The plug-in would just be some GUI with a bunch of Cells in it that you can connect to different tracks and sort your ideas separately from the main project and then drag-and-drop or record into the project. I'm wondering what the limitations are for VST plug-ins to have this sort of functionality? Lots of people want it. I've been waiting for for about 10 years now.

memyselfandus wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Thats the beauty of Orion and its pattern based workflow.... i can create hundreds of ideas and move them all around till everything fits. YMMV
I still need to check Orion out a little bit more. Do you have any examples? Any videos or something I can check out?
Dont know about videos, it hasnt got a big following, so prob not much about. Small company that are concentrating more on synths these days. Demo is your best bet... it should come with some demo songs to give you a quick idea of whats what.

Tricky-Loops wrote:What do you mean with "multiple cells"? MIDI files?
Multiple individual cells of midi or audio so you can compose little snippets of ideas and then throw them all together in the main project by dragging them into it later.

It would be so awesome to be able to fire up any daw and be able to punch in or recorded a bunch of ideas I have in my head and then go in later and put everything together in the main project from all my little ideas.

This differs quite a bit from the traditional main project timeline method.

I compare it to having a little tascam recorder on me at all times where I can just record a bunch of ideas and then the main project is kind of like taking all those ideas into the studio. The mentality of it at least.

What would be really cool is to have some sort of app on my phone where I can record into the cells on that as well and just connected to the computer and software and it syncs up with it and I can do whatever I want at that point.

One example would be I open the app on my phone

Punch in some ideas (each cell has a separate piano roll) and or record some audio by singing or playing some ideas into each cell through the phone mic.

Then later on when I open the plug-in inside my daw on the computer it syncs up with what I have on my phone and I can send it to the VST plug-in and go from there.

How badass would this be?
Last edited by memyselfandus on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

memyselfandus wrote:
Multiple individual cells of midi or audio so you can compose little snippets of ideas and then throw them all together in the main project by dragging them into it later.

It would be so awesome to be able to fire up any daw and be able to punch in or recorded a bunch of ideas I have in my head and then go in later and put everything together in the main project from all my little ideas. This differs quite a bit from the traditional main project timeline method. I compare it to having a little tiny tascam recorder on me at all times where I can just recording a bunch of ideas and then the main project is kind of like taking all those ideas into the studio.
Any daw with simple playlists can do that. Play a random idea, flip the playlist(s), do it again. All the ideas will still be there on the tracks you performed them on, forever, unless you delete them.

I mean, PT or whatever else that has playlist type functionality can easily do that. Things like playlists or track layers are multi-functional, they allow doing multiple different useful things, including, in that case, comping or stitching your random ideas together into something else.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

memyselfandus wrote:

It would be so awesome to be able to fire up any daw and be able to punch in or recorded a bunch of ideas I have in my head and then go in later and put everything together in the main project from all my little ideas.

This differs quite a bit from the traditional main project timeline method.

I compare it to having a little tascam recorder on me at all times where I can just record a bunch of ideas and then the main project is kind of like taking all those ideas into the studio. The mentality of it at least.
So, some kind of pin board? That would be a great thing, not only for MIDI and audio but also for lyrics and song structure ideas... For example, if I want to write some lyrics in REAPER, there's only this small note window in the project settings...

Orion is very good for this, as is fl studio. I just checked out mixcraft and what I like about it are the scenes. This is similar to Orions workflow, but better in that the scenes capture multi instrument and audio parts without having to clutter the song arranger window. Orion can save patterns of single instruments, up to 64, but cannot save a group of instruments in a 'pattern', or what mixcraft calls a scene

The demo of Orion was removed until the next update comes out, since the code is a few years old already.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Kriminal wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:
Dont know about videos, it hasnt got a big following, so prob not much about. Small company that are concentrating more on synths these days. Demo is your best bet... it should come with some demo songs to give you a quick idea of whats what.
Thank you

LawrenceF wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:

It would be so awesome to be able to fire up any daw and be able to punch in or recorded a bunch of ideas I have in my head and then go in later and put everything together in the main project from all my little ideas. This differs quite a bit from the traditional main project timeline method. I compare it to having a little tiny tascam recorder on me at all times where I can just recording a bunch of ideas and then the main project is kind of like taking all those ideas into the studio.
Any daw with simple playlists can do that. Play a random idea, flip the playlist(s), do it again. All the ideas will still be there on the tracks you performed them on, forever, unless you delete them.

I mean, PT or whatever else that has playlist type functionality can easily do that. Things like playlists or track layers are multi-functional, they allow doing multiple different useful things, including, in that case, comping or stitching your random ideas together into something else.
I HIGHLY doubt we are talking about the same thing here. I am totally open to checking this out though. It's a completely different concept if Anything is on the timeline in the main project right away. The concept that I'm talking about is having a separate area to do all of this.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”