Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR SONAR X3 Producer

firepile wrote:
poonna wrote:There will be a demo, according to one of their reps. They hope to release a demo soon after each update, but they usually lagged behind quite a bit in the past.
They already have a demo ready. If you cancel the "membership", SONAR will revert to demo mode. You just can't download it without paying for one month "membership" first.
Surely that makes it a rental for a month? A demo is free and gives one a chance to check the product. If money is involved then it's either being sold or leased... Or something....

Lol, I'm pretty well familiar with concepts in general. I thought. Like 'the Pro Tools Family'.. for instance; noticed the subtile difference? And besides.. why should a shallow person buy in to Cakewalk instead of Pro Tools? It's like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari. I mean.. let's face it. Pro Tools ain't dumb; they point their claw at the Window's market. PT doesn't have a good name regarded to Windows afaik. They can have loads of free beta testers. The same concept as Bitwig uses. They release a 'new' application, remember? Come on.. all these tricks exist as long as people make trades. Nothing new under the sun.

dredd i knight wrote:Surely that makes it a rental for a month? A demo is free and gives one a chance to check the product. If money is involved then it's either being sold or leased... Or something....
I look at the CW model as more of installment payments. It's like paying for anything in installments. Once you complete the payments, you own it outright (which is the case with the new Sonar). If you don't, either the store/company comes and gets it (cars, houses etc) or even worse it goes on your credit, but that second part's not applicable here. If you don't complete the payments, Cakewalk will "come to get it" so to speak; It reverts to demo mode.

This was ESPECIALLY useful for me. I've hit a snag with my current employment (their business isn't doing well apparently, which doesn't make sense considering it's always been busy a vast majority of the time that I'm there working) and I wasn't going to have the $149 (for a good while) to pay at once to go from X3 Producer to Platinum. So I paid the intro monthly fee of $14.99. That's totally doable and I can totally make the payment over 12 months. It's just $14.99. Pocket change. Once I finish paying for it, I own it outright, then I can choose to continue monthly payments for another year.

I have to say that I absolutely love the new Sonar. I like it A LOT more than I liked X3. I like a little more than I Cubase 8 at the moment, I love Cubase but 8 has some glitches that were inhibiting my workflow (like the click bug).

However, something DEFINITELY changed with the MIDI playback the new Sonar: (I have Platinum, btw)

In X3 I had to adjust the TTSSEQ.ini file for the midi fx lookahead, and my humanizer (Frank's Humanizer MIDI fx) worked great on my drums. I upped "MFXLookAhead" to 100. In the new Sonar, I've had to up the same line to 960 AND ALSO up The Midi Playback buffer in the Preferences to 2500 ms (!!!!!) to stop getting dropped notes, primarily experienced with using *ANY* humanizer. The reason I'm even putting up with this is because Frank's plugin is a BIG timesaver and the same humanizer (www.midi-plugins.de) has some options to definitely help me tweak the timing that no other humanizer midifx has.

The February SONAR "Braintree" release is now available:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Whats-New

More details here: http://static.cakewalk.com/cakewalk/pro ... elease.pdf

I see that "Braintree 1b" has been released already.

1wob2many wrote:More details here: http://static.cakewalk.com/cakewalk/pro ... elease.pdf

It seems that Braintree 1b is just a fix for a feature allowing a grace period and a warning to those members that are billed monthly and for some reason did not renew on time, before having their license reverted to demo mode.

JoseC. wrote:
1wob2many wrote:More details here: http://static.cakewalk.com/cakewalk/pro ... elease.pdf

It seems that Braintree 1b is just a fix for a feature allowing a grace period and a warning to those members that are billed monthly and for some reason did not renew on time, before having their license reverted to demo mode.
Yep, a quick update handled within the subscription to address a problem in the subscription handling.
How funny :)

- Mario

Re Command Centre

So should the Command Centre show any older Cakewalk products (such as Sonar X3 etc)?

I havent upgraded to the latest version of Sonar but assumed the Command Centre would show all my registered software, however it states 'You dont have any products', despite my account correctly showing all the products I own.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

no, command center only (currently) shows the stuff it installs itself

pwal wrote:no, command center only (currently) shows the stuff it installs itself
Thanks.

I assumed as it connects to your account it should see everything

so did a lot of people

I take it its not possible to install the 32bit version on 64bit windows thanks to the Command Centre detecting the OS and there not being an option!

Shame

ignore, Im a fkwit!

New SONAR "Cambridge" release now available. Includes over 50 fixes and updates, new virtual onscreen controller, Mix Recall enhancements, Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Expansion Pack, and more.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Whats-New#start

Read the full eZine PDF

AROSSA [Cakewalk] wrote:New SONAR "Cambridge" release now available. Includes over 50 fixes and updates, new virtual onscreen controller, Mix Recall enhancements, Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Expansion Pack, and more.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Whats-New#start

Read the full eZine PDF
Still no demo version?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”