Synapse Orion DAW being discontinued after latest public beta 8.6!?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good decision. Orion is over 12 years or something on the market and couldn't establish back then not to mention nowdays.
Now they can concentrate on the instruments: Dune2 is marvellous.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

It seemed, even before then, there was a massive amount of poor thought-out advice provided in the forums to him on what to develop in Orion. And there was, I think, way too much on his plate without expanding the developer count on his products (to match other DAW options).
I don't understand what you mean by poor thought out advice! The majority I've read seems useful and practical though maybe not all the times pragmatic to implement due to the amount of people working on it. I agree with you on the developer count though. With that and a better marketing strategy I think Orion could have gone much further!
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Seems a bit of a shame it's going to finish with a beta and not a finalised version.

aMUSEd wrote:Seems a bit of a shame it's going to finish with a beta and not a finalised version.

is there ever a finalised version? TBH i dont know why he bothered releasing an 'update' at all if he has no intention of continuing its developement...

I thought it was odd to release 8.6 when even some major bugs were still present. I figured he'd at least smooth those at then release it.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Kriminal wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Seems a bit of a shame it's going to finish with a beta and not a finalised version.

is there ever a finalised version? TBH i dont know why he bothered releasing an 'update' at all if he has no intention of continuing its developement...
Yes and no. No version is ever completely bug free but I would think if you are going to finish working on any app that at least you would get it into as much as possible of a release worthy form rather than a beta at least.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

mysticvibes wrote:I thought it was odd to release 8.6 when even some major bugs were still present. I figured he'd at least smooth those at then release it.
Version 8.6 has not been released yet - it is in public beta at the moment.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

what about paying an external dev to update Orion ?
Richard can invest some money and get back by releasing a paid update ?
or if Richard can't invest, he can launch a community founding http://www.kickstarter.com

hhmm kickstarter might not be a bad idea. Then the dev would be able to see how much an update is wanted among his users, and how many time/money he's able to invest in it beforehand.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Good idea. We'd be open to pass on the project to someone interested/skilled enough to take it further too, and we'd help fund it (as we love Orion :) ). Someone emailed me who'd be interested in financing further development, don't know to what degree though.

Richard

A shame as it's actually a wonderful little DAW and Richard is a wonderful guy.

Richard_Synapse wrote:Good idea. We'd be open to pass on the project to someone interested/skilled enough to take it further too, and we'd help fund it (as we love Orion :) ). Someone emailed me who'd be interested in financing further development, don't know to what degree though.

Richard
I'm really, truly glad to hear that you are open to have another developer step and take Orion further. I would also be interested in helping to finance further development in whatever way I can and also strongly suggest opening a kick starter campaign for this purpose. If it's alright, I'd like to share this idea with a few devs that I've talked to recently who know how to build daws and also put the word out with financial support.

TTU Youtube

Orion is magic, reads my mind. I can't get such level of workflow with other DAWs.

I am willing to pay a monthly user fee to support development.
My Home Studio http://bc.vc/9GPzC4

mysticvibes wrote:I'm really, truly glad to hear that you are open to have another developer step and take Orion further. I would also be interested in helping to finance further development in whatever way I can and also strongly suggest opening a kick starter campaign for this purpose. If it's alright, I'd like to share this idea with a few devs that I've talked to recently who know how to build daws and also put the word out with financial support.
Sure go ahead! :)

Richard

I've never found anything that equals Orion's Patten per Generator workflow. It's the quickest DAW I own for getting ideas down for my synth based projects.

I prefer Reaper for my Guitar tracks simply because it's more geared towards that type of work.

I've said it several times at the Synapse forums I'd love to see a hybrid of Orion and Reaper with Orion's Pattern per Generator workflow. I think the combination of the two would be a formidable package.

I don't have any contact with Justin Frankel but if someone does I'd love you to run the idea past him. That would put two of the developers I respect the most together. That could only be a good thing in my mind.... :)
basslinemaster wrote:(I tried Orion many years ago, and liked it, but eventually ended up using FL Studio because it does so much more.
Clue................ :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”