MIDI Manufacturer's Association to host HD Protocol Discussion at NAMM

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MIDI Manufacturer's Association to host HD Protocol Discussion at NAMM

any last requests? maybe email someone..

Interesting

The MIDI Manufacturer's Association (MMA) will host an open discussion about the trademark, licensing, and product certification options for the MMA's proposed new voluntary industry standard, code-named "HD Protocol" on Sunday, January 25. The session is part of the MMA's Annual General Membership (AGM) meeting during the NAMM show in Anaheim CA.
For over 30 thirty years, MIDI technology has helped drive sales and growth in the musical instrument, computer, and multimedia industries. Today there are literally billions of MIDI capable devices, including smart phones, computers, tablets, and digital musical instruments of all types, creating a market of 10's of millions of active MIDI users.
For the last several years, the MMA has been working on a new protocol designed to co-exist with MIDI while offering some profound implications for future products. Developed by consensus of the MIDI experts in the MMA, some highlights of the proposed new protocol's many features and benefits include:
Backward compatibility with MIDI 1.0 to ensure wide-spread adoption.
Plug and Play network connectivity over USB and Ethernet for easy integration.
Thousands of Channels for handling large complex systems.
A massive number of high resolution Controllers and Parameters for channels, groups and even individual notes, for unrivaled precision and adaptability to new controller technologies.
Precise Pitch Control and Articulation messages for expanded expressiveness.
Time Stamped messaging for accurate timing and tight real-time performance.
Plenty of room for future expansion to eliminate obsolescence.
Development of the HD Protocol Specification has reached a milestone that warrants industry-wide consideration of business and market promotion issues that will ensure product interoperability while encouraging consumer choice. Music technology hardware and software developers attending the session will learn about the proposed HD Protocol feature set, and participate in deciding the environment needed to successfully develop and launch new products that will complement and expand the market for current MIDI products, while increasing consumer choice.

http://www.midi.org/aboutus/news/2015agm.php

http://www.midi.org/

http://www.midi.org/cgi-bin/forum/forum.pl/

Isn't it called OSC?

Nope, OSC isn't backwards compatible to MIDI at all and also, as far as i know there is no real standard apart from the message format, no common language for synths or keyboards to communicate.

Haven't heard about the HD protocol specification until a few days ago, very interesting, if they really manage to keep backwards compatibility to MIDI 1.0 this could be a winner. Still might yet take several several years to be realized in products so it can be used in production. Even if the specification would be approved soon developers need time to implement it and as with every new technology there will be problems along the way...

They should have done this ten (or more!) years ago. There was demand for it already back then (else no OSC back in 1997). The backward compatibility is useful, in that a MIDI-HD device will accept MIDI-1 events by definition. Is the (draft?) standard document up anywhere? (I'm sure I'd seen on the the MMA site not long ago - can't find it now.)

Well, this is timely. Not timely enough, but timely.

I hope it actually goes somewhere. MIDI is only 32 years old... ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Well, this is timely. Not timely enough, but timely.

I hope it actually goes somewhere. MIDI is only 32 years old... ;-)
Which is actually quite impressive for a protocol as widely used as MIDI, and for an estimated 95% of all applications it still works quite well. A work of genius!
I can think of only IP as a protocol that is even older and even more important and which still isn't obsoleted by its successor IPv6 (and that is actually 20 years old already, so that will give an idea of how long it might take for MIDI HD to establish itself)

makes me feel old that as I remember when it came out ! it was an amazing revolution in audio technology, perhaps the most important

Midi is just a glorified serial port.

The HD protocol is going to be "too advanced" based on the scoop i've read. Which means no one will adopt it.
They should've just upped the bandwidth the same way USB2 does(exact same hw only negotiate the link first with USB1, if both ends comply start with USB2). No more changes needed.
And they should've done this ten years ago...

MMA is a joke.

And because of that someone already did exactly what i described.
http://www.elektron.se/products/tm-1

That would be the best new direction for Midi. But it's too simple for MMA to be able to cash on it. So nooo.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

any updates? post NAMM?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”