Logic X 10.1 Update!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote:Oh yeah, that's right! I had trouble with display/redraw bugs when I first used Hyper Editor back in Logic 8 and, after reading about other people having problems with it too, I promptly gave up and forgot about it completely!! Did they fix the bugs?
I came to Logic with 9 and I don't remember any hyper edit display bugs.
Also, can you just select an entire CC lane and hit Delete? Being able to just wipe out a CC lane in Reason was super helpful for my MOD -> MIDI conversion tasks. I don't foresee needing to do that again, but I'll not quickly forget it.
You can. Just click on the track header on the left and press delete. Just like you'd expect.

jsd wrote:
thetechnobear wrote:
Bombadil wrote:The patches will then show up in the library. The EXS24 has a Mellotron patch, but it is only the Strawberry Fields Flute patch.
This confused me... I always use the patches from the instrument ( not the library), so could only find 1 patch, hadn't realised the other 9 were only in the library view. Is this often the case?
There's an important difference between an instrument patch and a library patch. I usually try to call them presets (instrument) and patches (library) to be clear what I mean. The mellotron *preset* in EXS is data for the EXS instrument only. The new "Vintage Mellotron" items are *patches* which means they can contain multiple tracks, instruments, effects, EQ, smart controls, etc. If you're familiar with workstation synths with patches vs multis or performances, it's kind of the same idea. Patches were introduced in Logic Pro X.

If you load up the Vintage Mellotron > 3 Violins patch, you'll see that it is actually a track that contains an EXS24 instrument, and 3 plugins: Channel EQ, Pedalboard, and Amp. It also has a custom Smart Controls setup. For example, the Amp plugin loads up disabled, but if you turn the Amp smart control, it enables the plugin and changes the gain.

I know people are sloppy with their terminology (I am for sure) but Patches are the new hotness in Logic so when Apple says patches, they mean patches, not presets.
JSD brings up a great point. Here's even more clarity. The term "Presets" are not used anywhere in Logic Pro X.

Patches (a single item that can load one or more channel strips all plug-ins and settings w/ smart control mappings)

Plug-in Settings (settings for a single plug-in)

Channel Strip Settings (settings for a single channel strip, now largely replaced by Patches)

Sampler Instruments (keymap data and plug-in settings for EXS24)

Then there are some smaller less important file types you can't really browse..

jsd wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:Oh yeah, that's right! I had trouble with display/redraw bugs when I first used Hyper Editor back in Logic 8 and, after reading about other people having problems with it too, I promptly gave up and forgot about it completely!! Did they fix the bugs?
Also, can you just select an entire CC lane and hit Delete? Being able to just wipe out a CC lane in Reason was super helpful for my MOD -> MIDI conversion tasks. I don't foresee needing to do that again, but I'll not quickly forget it.
You can. Just click on the track header on the left and press delete. Just like you'd expect.
Thanks for the tips!!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Logic Remote was updated for the iPad users as well, with the ability to finally edit plugins. Most of them look, uh...

But the EQ looks pretty swank:

djanthonyw wrote:What a nice surprise! I haven't a chance to check it out as of yet, but could anyone tell me who also uses Auganizer if:

• The Plug-in Manager now allows you to customize the organization of your menu

Offers the same functionality as Auganizer? I purchased Auganizer, but it would actually be nice if I didn't need it anymore due to Logic offering the same built-in functionality.
Until Apple develops the manager somewhat, Auganizer is still worth having. I bought it last week, so was at first slightly irritated that I hadn't waited for the in-built functionality, but after living with both options for a couple of days, Auganizer is still a useful a tool.

I've settled on a combination of both for now. Auganizer sorts all my plugins by type and manufacturer (many people will prefer type and subtype). Plugin manager just provides one root "Favourites" folder.

My opinion is that it will be very easy to lose track of folder structures within Plugin Manager, which makes less visual sense than Auganizer, which lists all plugins once along with their folder information.

Try the demo and you'll soon see what I mean.

From what I can see of the Plug-in manager that now comes with Mainstage 3.1 too, it doesn't seem to be able to 'manage' anything particularly. Nothing is editable or moveable. Maybe it's cutdown?

jsd wrote:
Well I just experienced it again in the regular CC edit pane. Popped it up with the toggle button. Resized my panes a bit (I'm confined to a 13" display right now), and the CC edit field was gone. Clicked the toggle again... It appeared partially at the bottom. Couldn't grab the border to resize. Toggle it again and it looked fine but didn't function. Toggle again and it doesn't fully close and the piano roll keys are overlapped. Scroll and it shows that it hasn't updated and it erases as I scroll. Then I resorted to crunching the arrange view down just to do the edit in the tiny space the CC edit pane allows. And later yet, the disclosure triangles in the track inspector stopped functioning and the content they control stopped reflecting an actual state (there visually but not actually there to the mouse).

Sigh.

I felt like I was using Sonar on Windows.

I assume Apple's Logic developers don't test Logic much on small screens...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

If you are having CPU spikes or playback issues in Logic Pro X 10.1 due to high CPU, upgrade Yosemite to 10.10.2. It fixed the problem for me.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”