How is bitwig?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bitwig has all features you would dream (in the wishlist) so you don't need other host. And it is still growing (in the wishlist). It's a monster.

Could somebody highlight the differences between Bitwig and Live? I'm a Live 9 user and like it pretty well. I also use Cubase (an old version on an old laptop) but tend to favor the workflow in Live; it's more immediate and streamlined for me.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:Could somebody highlight the differences between Bitwig and Live? I'm a Live 9 user and like it pretty well. I also use Cubase (an old version on an old laptop) but tend to favor the workflow in Live; it's more immediate and streamlined for me.
I'm going to forget a bunch I'm sure but:
-Bitwig has proper PDC and compensation for synced effects and automation
-Bitwig doesn't add audio buffer latency for every third party device
-Bitwig allows midi input to both instruments and effects of the same track
-Bitwig has a more useful control surface parameter page layout and also custom scripting.
-Live's configuration is per preset whereas Bitwig's is global per plug-in
-Bitwig has macros for every device, not just racks
-Bitwig has an interesting modulation system (chech videos for details)
-Bitwig has hybrid tracks. For example you can bounce a midi clip right to audio in the same spot. So audio and midi on same tracks.
-Bitiwg has send effect and master clips
-Bitwig's arrangement is much nicer and better on the eyes. More like classic DAW look.
-Bitiwg has horizontal clip view which can be seen at the same time as the arrangement for easy dragging clips around.
-Bitiwg has plug-in sandboxing so plug-ins don't crash the whole program. Simple reload button for the plug-in.
-Bitwig loads both 32 and 64 bit VSTs
-Bitwig browser is better (for example you can see all files with the sub folders of a folder by cliking the folder containing the subfolders)
-The note effects are super cool in Bitwig
-The folder track functionality looks to be better in Bitwig coming soon than Live's
-Bitwig lets you cut and rearrange slices within a single audio clip
-per note automation for in-built devices in Bitwig
-Btiwig has nested effects (for example you can put effects in the feedback path of the delay)
-Bitwig allows a combination of clips playing in the session view and it's arrangement view at the same time

There's a few differences, obviously ones that I find appealing about Bitwig. What do I miss about Live? Really just the per preset parameter configuration but device macros in Bitwig help that. Also the grain delay is really cool in Live, and Operator is waaaay better than the fm synth in Bitwig. That's about it.

We are testing 4.571 atm. But don't tell anyone 8)

my first thoughts : BWS hasn't got step recorder, listening/hearing back notes with selection(u can only do this with clicking on the notes) in its piano-roll editor (so hearing back chords for example with selecting notes as is in Live is missing) is not possible, there is no MIDI merger in it, so u can't create parallel MIDI effect racks (so u can't build chord devices in BWS for example using parallel note pitch shifter MIDI fx devices etc.) there is no groove extraction in it, and ... have to think :) but otherwise yepp BWS is much more usable as been mentioned above
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:Could somebody highlight the differences between Bitwig and Live? I'm a Live 9 user and like it pretty well. I also use Cubase (an old version on an old laptop) but tend to favor the workflow in Live; it's more immediate and streamlined for me.
I'm going to forget a bunch I'm sure but:
-Bitwig has proper PDC and compensation for synced effects and automation
-Bitwig doesn't add audio buffer latency for every third party device
-Bitwig allows midi input to both instruments and effects of the same track
-Bitwig has a more useful control surface parameter page layout and also custom scripting.
-Live's configuration is per preset whereas Bitwig's is global per plug-in
-Bitwig has macros for every device, not just racks
-Bitwig has an interesting modulation system (chech videos for details)
-Bitwig has hybrid tracks. For example you can bounce a midi clip right to audio in the same spot. So audio and midi on same tracks.
-Bitiwg has send effect and master clips
-Bitwig's arrangement is much nicer and better on the eyes. More like classic DAW look.
-Bitiwg has horizontal clip view which can be seen at the same time as the arrangement for easy dragging clips around.
-Bitiwg has plug-in sandboxing so plug-ins don't crash the whole program. Simple reload button for the plug-in.
-Bitwig loads both 32 and 64 bit VSTs
-Bitwig browser is better (for example you can see all files with the sub folders of a folder by cliking the folder containing the subfolders)
-The note effects are super cool in Bitwig
-The folder track functionality looks to be better in Bitwig coming soon than Live's
-Bitwig lets you cut and rearrange slices within a single audio clip
-per note automation for in-built devices in Bitwig
-Btiwig has nested effects (for example you can put effects in the feedback path of the delay)
-Bitwig allows a combination of clips playing in the session view and it's arrangement view at the same time

There's a few differences, obviously ones that I find appealing about Bitwig. What do I miss about Live? Really just the per preset parameter configuration but device macros in Bitwig help that. Also the grain delay is really cool in Live, and Operator is waaaay better than the fm synth in Bitwig. That's about it.
Ableton has M4L. If you're heavily invested in the platform it might be very hard to find approximate devices for Bitwig, if they exist at all. Ableton has quite the head start on Bitwig in this arena.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

mcnelson wrote:Ableton has M4L. If you're heavily invested in the platform it might be very hard to find approximate devices for Bitwig, if they exist at all. Ableton has quite the head start on Bitwig in this arena.
Live got released as far back in 2001, so indeed they have quite a headstart in certain areas.

Even though it took quite some time for Live to open up for VST support ;)

BWS is a full modular environment so if they able to open the hood soon ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH33OlTu6wg
from 2:00
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Bitiwg has plug-in sandboxing so plug-ins don't crash the whole program. Simple reload button for the plug-in.
People always mention the plug sandboxing but I think the document based crash protection is as interesting if not more. As I understand it, Bitwig's audio engine and interface/project file stuff are two separate processes, and you can restart the audio engine when it crashes. So basically most of the time when Bitwig itself crashes, you just hit the button on the transport to toggle the engine back on and keep going. There were times when I was using a buggy beta and was too lazy to rollback because I could just toggle it back on every time.

Passing Bye wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:How does the piano roll compare to FL Studio's?
Why don't you see that for yourself :scared:
https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio/download.html?
I know how the piano roll compares to FL Studio's, it's nowhere near as good... Why didn't you suggest the OP also find out for themselves by trying out the demo? Obviously you think its piano roll isn't as good either, and want to silence any criticism...

Passing Bye wrote:
2ZrgE wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:How does the piano roll compare to FL Studio's?
Why don't you see that for yourself :scared:
https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio/download.html?
Yes, why not close every second thread, people could just use demos or google. :roll:
That would be nice :tu:

I understand people seeking recommendations, advice's and tips, but this aint it (quoted piano roll one), instead just seeking highly personal opinion about something one needs to see for himself based on his preference and taste :tu:
LOL. You can list all the commands available in each DAW's piano roll, and clearly FL Studio is miles better than any other DAW's. Do you actually expect everybody on this forum to demo every DAW, and learn how to use its piano roll, rather than just ask people who already use it?

Re Max for Live, it's true that's something big. I'm really looking forward to see what happens with Bitwig's modular system though. Without the huge intro price of $800, there might be a more vibrant scene; more developers and more demand since all Bitwig users will have access. There's also bound to be some aspects that will be implemented better since it's a part of the daw and since they've shown they are always coming up with clever ways to tweak stuff. Probably there will be limitations too since Max is such a mature product, but I'm not to familiar with it. If they could somehow get developers interested in developing for it like REs, that would be great. Imagine something like a u-he tool kit with oscillators, envelopes, etc, that you can build your own modular synth out of and include any other device like sequencers.

You know why they are so busy? I made some suggestions regarded to the piano roll.
Scary.. isn't it? :hihi:

Bitwig just announced users who buy it before April 7th get u-he ACE or Bazille for free.

Happy first anniversary!

http://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig_1year

:party:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”