Live 9.2 in beta. Latency compensation fixes, and legacy OSes dropped

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure how I'm supposed to read the latency meter they added yesterday. The info it shows means nothing to me. Doesn't matter anyway all sounds in time to me.

The silly buffer latency for any external plugin is indeed gone now Theo. And what joy! I couldn't be happier!

Best,

fedexnman wrote:Why not see if the BETA works on XP 1st .
I joined the beta test and registered my system (XP) etc ... the 9.2 beta is unavailable to me. I have access only to the 9.1 beta. So ... I can't try 9.2 with XP.

My complaint here is not that XP is no longer supported, it's that XP was supported when I bought v.9 (after being offered a discount if I upgraded from v.8 early) but less than a year later, it has been dropped. If they had dropped support for XP when Live 9 was released I would have stuck with v8 until I could afford to upgrade to a faster, modern PC.

As it is, I bought Push only 2 weeks ago to now be told if I want the improvements and fixes to Push and Live 9 I also have to buy a new computer / OS.

I'm no hater, I'm a long term (10 years) Ableton customer.

All it means when they say dropped support for an OS is:-

One day you will install a more up to date Live and it wont work or it's a bit buggy. Support will just advise you to get a newer OS . You will find many developers dropping support for XP as time goes on as it's unnecessary to test and recode for an OS that's 15 years old.

I hated XP it got far too corrupted too easily had to reinstall it many times. XP can only read 2GB of ram for each app loaded. Windows 7 was rock solid never had a problem with it.
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote:My complaint here is not that XP is no longer supported, it's that XP was supported when I bought v.9 (after being offered a discount if I upgraded from v.8 early) but less than a year later, it has been dropped. If they had dropped support for XP when Live 9 was released I would have stuck with v8 until I could afford to upgrade to a faster, modern PC.
Live 9 was released in March 2013, so it's nearly 2 years old. How did you score an early upgrade discount less than a year ago? Just curious, I thought the upgrade intro offer was only for a short time (few months after introduction)?
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Kaboom75 wrote:All it means when they say dropped support for an OS is:-

One day you will install a more up to date Live and it wont work or it's a bit buggy. Support will just advise you to get a newer OS . You will find many developers dropping support for XP as time go on as it's unnecessary to test and recode for an OS that's 15 years old.
yes, I understand that. My complaint is they did it a year into v9, not when it was first released. I've already spent the money and got used to a new version. As I wrote earlier I can't try the new beta because it's not available to XP users.

mcnelson wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:My complaint here is not that XP is no longer supported, it's that XP was supported when I bought v.9 (after being offered a discount if I upgraded from v.8 early) but less than a year later, it has been dropped. If they had dropped support for XP when Live 9 was released I would have stuck with v8 until I could afford to upgrade to a faster, modern PC.
Live 9 was released in March 2013, so it's nearly 2 years old. How did you score an early upgrade discount less than a year ago? Just curious, I thought the upgrade intro offer was only for a short time (few months after introduction)?
My mistake ... I thought it was only a year since v9 came out. You are right ... it's been 2 years. Dropping support for an OS 2 years into a product is even worse IMHO.

thecontrolcentre wrote:

One day you will install a more up to date Live and it wont work or it's a bit buggy. Support will just advise you to get a newer OS . You will find many developers dropping support for XP as time go on as it's unnecessary to test and recode for an OS that's 15 years old.
yes, I understand that. My complaint is they did it a year into v9, not when it was first released. I've already spent the money and got used to a new version. As I wrote earlier I can't try the new beta because it's not available to XP users.
Just change your info in your account I'm sure it will run on XP.

Kaboom75 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:

Just change your info in your account I'm sure it will run on XP.
Could be worth a try, but the last time I tried that with an NI win 7 / 8 only product it refused to even install. Has anyone here tried 9.2 on an XP or Vista system?

2020 wrote:The silly buffer latency for any external plugin is indeed gone now Theo. And what joy! I couldn't be happier!

Best,

Oh wow, that is great. Hope this beta doesn't take too long.

As the previous posters asked, does anyone know if it can still be installed on Windows XP? I'm still running it on my older laptop.
Is it only support dropped for older OS or does it not even install?

I'm pretty excited for all of this, especially as a 5K iMac is on it's way.

But one thing I think is unforgivable: can it really be hard to save the Push scale with the clip?

GlyphX solution is possible, but just annoying. They have clip automation. Why can't they store the scale in there?

Anyway, joined the beta and will submit some stuff to them as soon as the new computer arrives.

A quote from this page https://www.ableton.com/en/live/new-in-9/
Latency improvements
Sets that contain Max for Live devices or third-party plug-ins now have lower latency. And automation is now fully latency compensated.
As we can see there's nothing about modulation or LFO based effects being compensated. :?

Release Notes for 9.2b2:
Automation and Modulation for Beat Repeat's mixer parameters (e.g Mix Type, Volume, Filter, Frequency, etc) and Device On are now compensated.
source: https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/liv ... ase-notes/

I'd say they're making progress; wouldn't you?
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

2020 wrote:The silly buffer latency for any external plugin is indeed gone now Theo. And what joy! I couldn't be happier!

Best,

that's brilliant news, just dl ing now.

so basically, if one is not using effects with noticeable latency, they can get away with everything now incl automation and tempo effects.

if using very latent effects some minor workarounds will be required for tempo effects. still a much MUCH better solution than before. :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”