High peaks prevent decent volume level

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, all I see in the OP is a waveform that isn't clipped, that you believe for some reason is a problem. There is no problem except in your understanding.
Music will have all kinds of peaks; the fact they are peaks means that by comparison something else isn't a peak, which indicates some dynamic range.
So the whole program having a problem of 'decent level' because of one peak doesn't have any sense to it. The statement in the thread title is a bad premise.

And you've been advised to take this or that measure in order to correct a non-problem. You have more information now than you know what to do with.

why not simply reduce the dynamic range of the instrument that is causing the peaks with a comp/limiter?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

The OP has now stated they're doing more dynamic music than EDM-type. So I would not advise reducing dynamic range per se, that's my whole point.
Peaks are not a bad thing in themselves. If you want lifeless, flat, dull music, sure, abide by this as a general principle and have no peaks. :shrug:

OTOH if you have something which is always clipping, it needs to be dealt with. The first thing to consider is TURN IT DOWN. ;)
Reaching for a limiter just because you see a peak is a terrible idea. You're probably thinking to mix with your eyes already.

Hello you can have my plugin for free: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=407386
Have fun.

Jan raises a good point. Processing shouldn't be about elimination, but rather control.
Sausage waveforms aren't a good thing, but excessive uncontrolled peaks vs rms level aren't, either.
I'd probably target the individual offending instrument track(s), and try some gentle reduction there. Trying to do so on the master bus after the fact tends to be a bit more problematic, imo.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

kelldammit wrote:Jan raises a good point. Processing shouldn't be about elimination, but rather control.
Sausage waveforms aren't a good thing, but excessive uncontrolled peaks vs rms level aren't, either.
I'd probably target the individual offending instrument track(s), and try some gentle reduction there. Trying to do so on the master bus after the fact tends to be a bit more problematic, imo.
That's precisely what I was saying ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

...and Hink raises a good point, too! :)
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”