Sundog Scale Studio 2.0 BETA out now

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sundog Song Studio

Hi everybody,

a few days ago I posted a sneak preview of the upcoming Sundog Scale Studio 2.0 release: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=435162. Now it's time for the first beta :).

The following video was posted in the sneak preview thread as well. It shows the main new features and workflows in action.

(Please turn on fullscreen or HD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYThLwaaW_A

The new features:
  • Song parts: Instead of opening different Sundog-songfiles for verse / chorus / bridge you can create various song parts now.
  • New input editor: Precise control over tone heights and the triggered sequences.
  • Focus areas: Sundog visualizes the area where you are working on at the moment. Useful for "intelligent" copy and paste actions on patterns, sequences, song parts, and chords.
  • Show chord tensions: Quickly see which chords are harmonious or mildly dissonant.
  • Included help: Click on the Sundog logo in the bottom-right corner for the integrated help system.
  • Use your own default song: Save the song that you want to use as your default song in the main song directory (Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Sundog/songs/, Windows: [program directory]\songs\). Save it as "default_song.sng")
  • Better support for "free" melodies: This is especially important for users of Sundog 1.5.0 and below: I changed the way how free melodies work (free = set the pattern preset to "Off" to deactivate the pattern sequencer for an instrument). The new way will make it possible to play the same note several times in a row. I guess that counts as a bugfix as well ;). However, this also means that you might want to fix some old melodies if they sound different now. If you record your input live, Sundog 2.0 will also react faster than older versions.
  • Many new patterns: Over 150 patterns included.
  • New demo songs: Well, not really "songs" ;). But they are useful to understand the basic concepts.
  • Optional chromatic keyboard in chords view: Click on "Settings -> Show chromatic keyboard in chords view" to show a regular keyboard instead of a scale keyboard.
  • Bugfix: Turn off all MIDI notes on exit.
  • Bugfix: Triplet patterns are allowed to start outside of quarter notes now.
Please note: If you load an old Sundog song and then save it with the new version, you won't be able to load it again with Sundog 1.5.0.

The update will be free for all existing customers of Sundog Scale Studio!
Sundog 2.0 will autodetect your license key if you install to the same folder as before.
The price will go up a bit when Sundog 2.0 is out. Join the newsletter to get notified of the new release!
http://feelyoursound.com/news/

Click here to download the beta:
http://feelyoursound.com/public-beta-sundog/ (Windows, Mac OS X)

I wish you a lot of fun with the beta! Thanks for participating :)!

Cheers,
Hauke of feelyoursound.com

####

Update: Sundog 2.0 Beta 2 is out now!

Please make sure to install the current version before sending in new bug reports (but let's hope that everything was found in beta 1 ;) ).

New in Beta 2:
  • Fix: Drawing bug + crash; no steps known how to reproduce this, happened in rare cases (crashlog with "update_text" in it)
  • Fix: Crash; no steps known how to reproduce this, happened in rare cases (crashlog with "restart_input_at_position" in it)
  • Fix: Dragging song parts around while playing back the song -> crash in rare cases
  • Fix/Change: In Sundog 1.5.0 and below the MIDI instrument 0 wasn't recognized properly. Instrument 0 wouldn't send any instrument change at all. In Sundog 2.0.0 beta 2 I fixed this. Now instrument 0 will send an instrument change, too. As Sundog 2.0.0 includes a new feature to set the MIDI instrument to "Off" (= don't send instrument changes), I added some lines that will convert instrument 0 to instrument "Off" if a Sundog 1.5-and-below song is loaded. This way the old behaviour will get reproduced, but new songs can be created without wrong/missing MIDI messages.
  • Added: Paragraph on MIDI exports
Update 2: Sundog 2.0 Beta 3 released!
  • Fix: In rare cases an error reappeared within 'update_text'. Apparently I didn't fix the bug completely in Beta 2 :? . This time it should be working.
Last edited by hauke on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

Awesome! thanks Hauke :)

I hope you like the new Sundog :)!
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

How many computers can we install sundog on?

patchhunter wrote:How many computers can we install sundog on?
As long as you use the computers on your own and only use one Sundog instance at a time: As many as you like. If you want to use several instances of Sundog simultaneously on two or more computers you will have to buy additional licenses.

hauke wrote:I hope you like the new Sundog :)!
I do, it's great, specially with the chord tension mode, thats my absolute favourite feature!
Bringin in own chords and saving them is not possible yet right?

Great! I'll be buying a copy this weekend.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:Great! I'll be buying a copy this weekend.
Awesome :)! Did you already do a quick test of the 2.0?

Consider me a customer :tu:
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:Consider me a customer :tu:
Welcome on board :D
:party:

hauke wrote:
spaceman wrote:Consider me a customer :tu:
Welcome on board :D
I presume that buying a license for Sundog now will get me v2 when it's officially out?

spaceman wrote: I presume that buying a license for Sundog now will get me v2 when it's officially out?
Yep, it's a "buy once, get all updates for free" license right now!

hauke wrote:
spaceman wrote: I presume that buying a license for Sundog now will get me v2 when it's officially out?
Yep, it's a "buy once, get all updates for free" license right now!

is it possible inserting somehow a chord into the chord progression (or shift to left or right the already added existing ones) ?
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Hauke - this is a fabulous update thank you! :tu:

I'm really looking forward to being able to write the complete song in one instance of Sundog. This alone is invaluable.

I will second xbitz [assumed] FR to be able to shift the time line. This will be really useful to avoid having to relocate and insert the already included chords in a line.

Thank you!!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”