Sundog Scale Studio 2.0 BETA out now

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sundog Song Studio

Hello. I just downloaded the BETA, but I'm new to Sundog
Seems to be in "demo" mode. I was just wondering what are the limitations of the demo?
How many patterns does the program come with? Is it easy to have a "favorites" pattern bank?

Looks cool otherwise, thanks!

Just wantet to give feedback after some more hours playing Sundog on Mac with current release version of Yosemite and in combination with Ableton Lite and Logic with 5 channels including simple drum:
app seems very stable (did not get it to crash once) and is a joy to use.

It also is very straightforward/ easy to figure ot.

It takes the boring part out of making sketches for songs!

The only small thing I ran into is the dialog that comes up when pressing Ctrl+S from within chord interface and undo/redo in chord interface (missing?).

k2500x wrote:Hello. I just downloaded the BETA, but I'm new to Sundog
Seems to be in "demo" mode. I was just wondering what are the limitations of the demo?
How many patterns does the program come with? Is it easy to have a "favorites" pattern bank?

Looks cool otherwise, thanks!

Yes, the beta runs in beta mode (except you are an existing customer of course). The demo is limited to a few scales (full version: 300+). You can only save songs and patterns, not load them. There are only six instrument channels available (full version: 15). You can export MIDI files only for a few times per session.
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

neinneinnein wrote: The only small thing I ran into is the dialog that comes up when pressing Ctrl+S from within chord interface and undo/redo in chord interface (missing?).
Yes, the Ctrl+S dialog is an inevitable thing. As the user hasn't pressed "Use chords" yet I cannot be sure if he really wants to save the current progression - or if he wants to do a quick save before he tests the progression with the song. So I display the warning dialog to explain what's going on. I hope that makes sense, I'm a little bit tired right now ;).

Undo/redo: This isn't implemented so far.

neinneinnein, dsan: Thanks for your feedback and the update on your experience so far!
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

tolstoevsky wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:TBH though I really think Sundog has helped me generate ideas quicker than anything else I have used (although I really like how Rapid Composer gets ideas out quickly too :D )...
Great job Hauke :tu:
dsan
Hi, Dennis, really nice to find your comments here (as well as in Nora threads :D ). It looks like we both are interested in similar new creative apps :phones: And I fully support your point of view - Sundog is a wonderful trigger of "lazy inspiration" so to say :hihi:
I am still in the process of testing it but already I got many interesting ideas on how to "mix" it with RC, Nora and other "great music helpers" 8)
Best wishes to you and, certainly, to Hauke,
T.
Hey T. Good to hear from you too :D

You know what they say, GMTA :party:

Nora's a great app too. In combination these apps should get us platinum, you think :hihi:

Keep making those tunes my friend :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

tolstoevsky wrote: I got many interesting ideas on how to "mix" it with RC, Nora and other "great music helpers" 8)
I also have RC and Nora; would like to see/hear how you do this with all three (maybe another topic)..

dsan@mail.com wrote: Good to hear from you too :D
You know what they say, GMTA :party:
Well, Dennis, definitely I can't claim that my mind is great :hihi: , but anyway
it's very inspiring to be in the same music boat with you (at least virtually :tu: ).
Musical Gym wrote: I also have RC and Nora; would like to see/hear how you do this with all three (maybe another topic)..
Hmm, highly respected Mr.Musical Gym, you are trying to catch me in a word :D
TBH (using the acronym of Dennis :wink: ), I got too many beautiful and/or obsessive ideas when it comes to music experimenting, but later 99% of them gradually fade away somehow :oops:
Nevertheless, it's rather obvious to name just a few basic "mixing options" here -
a) usage of Sundog's Chord Editor to find some good progressions in exotic scales and then simply feed them to Nora or/and import those chords into RC for further arrangements
(RC has it's own excellent chords/scales editors indeed, but sometimes it's easier to see and hear it in more "simplistic" way like in Sundog)
b) make some basic melody/lead-like lines in Sundog ("modal moves") and then again put them into RC for harmony embellishments etc. (+ use Nora for additional tricky arpeggios and so on)
c) may be it could be also interesting to try something first in RC and then just find same scale in Sundog for alternative/subsequent assistance...
I dunno yet whether it could bring something really interesting or, as usual, it 'll come to nothing spectacular, but it never hurts to try :party:

thanks much!

Hauke,
An update on the MIDI over LAN:

Oddly, Live will start the transport of Sundog but when I stop play in Live, Sundog's transport continues to play. As stated earlier if using Sundog as the MIDI clock source, it will not contol Live's transport.

Hope this helps you in finding the solution (again, not an immediate urgency.)

Happy Easter to all!

and

Happy Musiking!
dsan

EDIT: This seems to be an intermittent experience and does not happen every time. Go figure :hihi:
Last edited by dsan@mail.com on Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My DAW System:

Jim,
In addition to tolstoevsky's great suggestions you may want to consider adding virtual MIDI cables to the rig - if you haven't already.

Virtual MIDI is a fantastic way to send the compostions of each of these software to your DAW without the need to export/import.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Hauke,
Ran into a small bug (I hope it's not an Easter Egg :hihi:).

Guess I resized too large. Hit the + button about 3 to 4 times and lost the ability to resize.
Sundog Scroll problem.jpg
On exit I got this error message to see the log file. I have included the text here:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "inputeditlabel.pyc", line 522, in paintEvent
  File "inputeditlabel.pyc", line 285, in update_text
TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()
On re-open I could not reproduce this error.

Happy Musiking!
dsan

EDIT: This leads me to another FR (hope you don't mind).
I can already tell I will use the sequencer a lot. It's just too small for us old smelly types that can't see anymore and could use a larger GUI ;)
Thanks for considering this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My DAW System:

thanks dsan, yes I already use virtual midi to connect various progs to daw

Hello everybody,

I'm back online - after a long annoying eight hour train trip^^. I will go to sleep soon, but first I want to reply ;)

dsan: Hooooray... I'm not 100% sure, but your crashlog might be a key to the mysterious bug that I mentioned in a previous post :). It seems to happen in very rare cases, and nobody can reproduce it. I tried to provoke such a situation for nearly an hour on my train trip, but wasn't lucky^^. tolstoevsky reached out to me via mail, too, and included a crashlog that apparently points to the same area. A big thank you to both of you! I think that the "scroll problem" in your picture is really just a result of the crashlog-bug. This is a good trace..

About the GUI size: Yes, I will take a look at that! A bigger/smaller/resizable Sundog would be nice :).

MIDI sync start/stop: Tomorrow I can take a look at a Windows PC with Ableton Live. On my Mac everything is still running fine, and in this case Sundog for Mac and Win should share the same code. The lovely world of software ;)

Happy Easter to everybody who is concerned :)!

Greetings,
Hauke

hauke wrote:
hoth wrote:So far I like the changes in 2.0 and most things are working well. Only things are I can't find the "Arp Down Mix" pattern and playing a song crashes UVI Workstation. Kontakt seems fine though.
Oh, an "Arp Down Mix" pattern was never included I think. I created an "Arp Up Mix" to show that it's possible to mix an arpeggio with different octaves.

About UVI Workstation: Did this work with Sundog 1.5? And do you use Win or Mac?
Thanks for clearing that up. I actually like the Arp Mix patterns. They sound like some Snow Patrol riffs to me. Regarding UVI Workstation, I unfortunately don't remember ever trying Sundog 1.5 with it. Sorry.
Sniffing corks hurts my brain

Terrible 'flat' design - you can't immediately see what is a button and what is merely text...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”