Ardour 4.0 released (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fedexnman wrote:Just trying to be funny , typo in the thread title . It will work on Intel and AMD on Windows ,Mac and Hackintosh and Linux .
:dog:

Thanks, edited.

Is anyone here planning to use Ardour windows for a while and write a review? That would be really useful, given how much interest it seems to be collecting.

One great feature: keyboard shortcuts are redefinable. It's not at the level of say reaper, but it's already very deep. I could not find a shortcut to close all floating windows, if you find one let me know :)

urlwolf wrote:Is anyone here planning to use Ardour windows for a while and write a review? That would be really useful, given how much interest it seems to be collecting.

One great feature: keyboard shortcuts are redefinable. It's not at the level of say reaper, but it's already very deep. I could not find a shortcut to close all floating windows, if you find one let me know :)
There's no such shortcut. Ctrl-w will close the currently focused floating window, but it isn't a shortcut in the sense that it cannot be redefined.

What in particular are you missing when compared with Reaper?

Either I'm slow or I can't figure out how to color audio regions. The track color changes but not the region.

LawrenceF wrote:Either I'm slow or I can't figure out how to color audio regions. The track color changes but not the region.
Edit > Preferences > Theme > Color regions using their track's color

Thanks. Like I said, I'm an idiot. :)

Looking good so far. :tu:

I love the way you define groups in arrange by dragging the mouse. That's really clever. I'm gonna video some of this stuff later after I get more familiar with the UI.

Hey Paul, two things...

1. Win x64 ran great but it occurred to me that most of my audio plugs are x86 so to test with plugins I installed the x86 version.
2. x86 Doesn't launch at all. It shows up in Task Manager for a bit, but never appears on the screen.

I'll restart my system to see if it launches after that. Run as admin or nothing else worked. Any ideas? Thanks. (Win 7 64 SP1)

LawrenceF wrote: 2. x86 Doesn't launch at all. It shows up in Task Manager for a bit, but never appears on the screen.
Which version? See the About dialog/window ... if it was very recent, and you got it from nightly.ardour.org, it is subject to the daily build breakages that we've tried to be upfront about.

Let me know.

I grabbed it this morning. It launched after I restarted my system so... all seems well now... the adventure continues.

And yes, I've actually been expecting it to be way more buggy than it is so far being an unsupported version but... not so much. No crashes, no real oddness yet, but then again I haven't used any plugins yet.

I take it by what I see the installers doing that you can't have both x86 and x64 versions installed at the same time. Not a big deal since I work with audio in x86 anyway. I don't see myself leaving Studio One anytime soon but I'm unexpectedly developing a little crush on this thing, some of the design bits. I think I'll be paying that $1 soon.

I may choose to mix in it occasionally, depending on how my testing goes.

I'm really liking Ardour 4 for Windows. Very nice gui. All of my plugins scanned in fine and work perfectly. Ez Drummer2, Addictive drums 2, Ez Keys...they all work as they should. The custom meter settings are genius. I'm having to run at 512 buffers when in Sonar or Harrison Mixbus I use 128, but Maybe I'll discover what is causing that later. For now I'm very impressed and very happy to support the Ardour project.

OSX 10.8.5 x64 version crashes every time i scan plugins.
Very unintuitive DAW is my first impression,
i'll do my best to demo with an open mind though.

sqigls wrote:OSX 10.8.5 x64 version crashes every time i scan plugins.
Very unintuitive DAW is my first impression,
i'll do my best to demo with an open mind though.
You can help us understand the crashes. The easiest way is to join us on IRC (About > Chat inside the program). We'd like to understand which plugins cause this and why, and then fix it.

As for "intuitive", I wrote this several years ago: https://community.ardour.org/node/3322

Yeah. I think in many of these cases "intuitive" only really means "more common". There are some common UI things going on that may be approaching being "standard" now that Ardour *may* not yet comply with like...

- Drag and reorder tracks.
- Swiping across things like track lists check boxes
- Selection grouping, selecting X tracks and auto-grouping faders.

Things like that. So if you use multiple media apps, graphic, video, audio, animation, etc, you start to notice some UI commonalities and when you come across one that seems to unnecessarily deviate from that and the deviation is not an improvement, it feels "not intuitive", although I'm not sure the word is a perfect fit.

Otoh, I find the way Ardour manages plugins and positional (pre/post) staging and metering and all that to be way more intuitive than most, but we most often tend to cherry pick the subjectively bad stuff when something is unfamiliar.

When using "edit zoom project" it will compact the tracks (wav forms) to fill the screen. Is there a way to expand/compact the height of the tracks to fill the screen?

Can I make "Logarithmic" the default wav form view?

clintmartin wrote:When using "edit zoom project" it will compact the tracks (wav forms) to fill the screen. Is there a way to expand/compact the height of the tracks to fill the screen?
select desired tracks. press "f" ("fill").
Can I make "Logarithmic" the default wav form view?
Should stick as a preference. If not, please file it as a bug.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”