Is Bitwig the same as Ableton Live?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ogopogo wrote:There's no tool but you can hit ctrl+j to consolidate.
However do note that this operation normalizes volume, which may not be what you want. (Referring to user ls1xxx) The manual says this:

33.3.7 Consolidate
Consolidating clips (page 86) in the Arrangement View creates new audio files, which are non-neutral in comparison to the original audio data. Specifically, the new files will be normal- ized, with their clip volumes adjusted to play back at the same volume as heard prior to consoli- dation. Normalization is a gain change, which is a non-neutral operation. Also, the new files will be created at the sample rate and bit depth set in Live‘s Preferences window, which may differ from those in the original audio files.

ctrl + j that's Bitwig which doesn't create new files, BWS gonna create a new container(audio), new file is created when bouncing is used

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I may be in the minority, but i really like Live´s GUI. Did not like the 8´s colours, but the 9 GUI is very good.

Bitwig looks very promising but it also looks somewhat confusing in the videos that i have seen.
I am very interested in seeing what new features Bitwig will present.

The Bitwig forum here on KVR always has people willing to answer questions if you're confused about something. I really like Live's gui too, especially how you can vary the the brightness and contrast.

Ogopogo wrote:The Bitwig forum here on KVR always has people willing to answer questions if you're confused about something. I really like Live's gui too, especially how you can vary the the brightness and contrast.
Yes, but keep in mind that many of them look with bitwig tinted glasses when answering questions...

But what does ableton have to offer over Bitwig?
- Max 4 life (with the most awesome innovation and community backing)
- better effects
- better and more sounds

And what does Bitwig have to offer?
- better workflow and UI
- modular build, tough not available to users before version 2.0
- way cheaper then live suit ( which has all the good stuff and M4L )

Choice mostly depends on your needs, will you use it as a production/recording tool, or more as a creative tool for live entertainment?

xbitz wrote: ReWiring (can be done using Bidule as in the picture)
Curious, when ReWiring with Bidule plugin in BWS, does Reason's transport control/MIDI sync work as expected?

working nicely, bouncing out and drag and dropping samples from the browser of BWS to Reason 8+ too

Reason MIDI Implementation Chart is here so the CC based automation also working http://www.tufts.edu/programs/mma/ctfm/ ... 0Chart.pdf quite comfortable using it with Combinators
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Which one of these two supports VST3?

Neither - but you can sort of add it using Bidule or Metaplugin as subhost (of the two Bidule is more reliable and has better VST3 support but is also more costly).

Sjefke wrote:
Ogopogo wrote:The Bitwig forum here on KVR always has people willing to answer questions if you're confused about something. I really like Live's gui too, especially how you can vary the the brightness and contrast.

And what does Bitwig have to offer?
- better workflow and UI
- modular build, tough not available to users before version 2.0
- way cheaper then live suit ( which has all the good stuff and M4L )
+ these:
- Plugin Sandboxing
- Open Controller API
- Bounce in Place
- Proper PDC
- layered editing
- hybrid tracks

Just tried Bitwig's demo and I'm so excited for the evolution of this DAW. First DAW in a while that I've seen is really bringing some revolutionary concepts. If they can increase the performance and table stakes functionality, this could be the leader of the pack when it comes to production workflow.

ls1xxx wrote:Is there a Glue tool like the one in Cubase where I can merge Regions together in the arrange view? If so what's it called and where is it? I'm really starting to like this daw. Fun to use!
Just highlight the range and right click "consolidate."

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”