How to transfer the MIDI velocity dynamics ("feel") from one MIDI phrase to another?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think Reaper has an extension that provides a Groove tool which may be able to accomplish this, but unfortunately, I am not a user of Reaper. The DAWs that I use, Sonar and Tracktion, have the features "Groove Quantize" and "Groove Templates", respectively. However, I think that these features only process the rhythm/timing of MIDI notes, and not the dynamics. So are there any other plugins/tools capable of this function? My Google searches have thus far yielded lackluster results.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and/or advice.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Cubase Groove Quantize can do it.
Select your source Part, and create the Groove (Edit Menu>Advanced Quantize).
On the Destination Part, open the Quantize dialog for the Groove that you have just created, and set Position, Length, and Non-Q to zero, but Velocity to 100%.
Source

Edit - Apparently Live can also do it.
Velocity — adjusts how much the velocity of the notes in clips will be affected by the velocity information stored in the groove file. Note that this slider goes from -100 to +100. At negative values, the effect of the groove’s velocity will be reversed; loud notes will play quietly and vice versa.

Ableton has a feature to use the velocity and groove of an audio or midi clip and impose on another with control over how much is applied
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I doubt you would find this in the form of a plugin, as its functionality dives deep into the DAW. In other words, I suspect you can have it built-in, but not otherwise.

@untimelyman, @VariKusBrainZ, @BDeep: Thank you for your feedback.

I was curious if there was some plugin, tool, or script language (e.g. MFX, Cakewalk Application Language (CAL), MFXScript, Blue Cat Plug'n Script, etc.) that was capable of accomplishing this functionality, but I can see how such functionality is best implemented natively in a DAW itself. Apparently, the Groove Quantize feature of Cakewalk Sonar should be able to apply the velocity feel of a MIDI phrase copied to the clipboard:
The Groove Quantize command also lets you control the strength of duration and velocity adjustments.
To use the groove quantize feature, you must create or choose a small snippet of music—the groove pattern—for SONAR to use as the timing and accent reference. You can use either of the following:
* A track, clip, or portion of a clip stored on the Clipboard
* A groove stored in a SONAR groove file
Any MIDI data that you place onto the Clipboard can be used as a groove pattern. With a carefully defined groove pattern, you can give an old project an entirely new feel. If you like the groove pattern you have created, you can save it to a groove file.
I would like to see a similar capability in Tracktion as well. Perhaps I should lobby for the feature in the Tracktion subforum.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”