Logic X - bit disorientated

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

btw I'm finding this very useful for getting my head around the changes:

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/ ... low-601389

Now I have customised the toolbar (good idea to add things like low latency mode, pause, play from start and capture recording to the transport) and worked out how to access my channelstrips and user presets I'm feeling more at home.

All my presets for the EVB3 work fine in Vintage Organ too (which for some reason comes with a much reduced and poorer quality selection)
Last edited by aMUSEd on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What's the Controller app -- for iPad you mean?

Yes

Cafedelmarco wrote:Just like aMUSEd I've updated my Logic X to version 10.2.2 and now I can't seem to find my channel strips. They changed the term to 'patches' instead of channel strips and it seems they changed the file extension too.

I tried putting all my chains into the patch folder but they're not being recognised. Has anyone found a solution to this? I can't imagine they just decided that 'channel strips' can't be used any longer.
OK I have it now. First, as stated by 2020, you need to put your old channel strips in the right folder here:

~/Music/Audio Music Apps/

Then to access them from the library browser you need to click next to the channel strip button at the top of the strip and a little blue triangle shows you have selected it. Then all the channel strips show in the library (in the previous version you just needed to click on that button for the strips to be selected and show in the library).

Why is tkdelay appearing with Logic plugins rather than au plugins?

donato wrote:As someone who used Logic 8 then eventually Studio One and now back to Logic X, I think you should invest in a one month subscription at http://www.macprovideo.com. If you have time to watch it, it will do wonders.
OK I'm looking at tutorials videos now. Groove 3 also seem to have a ton on Logic X - hard to know which to choose from - which is the best for getting up to speed?

MIDI device selection is indeed a frustration in Logic. You need to customize the project's Environment settings. Same for using external MIDI synths if you don't use the External Hardware plugin (and I think even with that, I had some weird issues requiring meddling in the Environment). Functionality available only in the Environment is slowly being replaced by plugins (external synths plugin, the new arpeggiator MIDI plugin, for example), and it's way too slow. I'd rather see a complete overhaul of the Environment (still trapped in 1993), but few people use it and it's very technical compared to the average users' use case scenario. Since most average users are all "in the box", stuff like this generally gets ignored by Apple's Logic development team.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I really like Eli Krantzberg's Logic videos on Groove3 -- he maintains a good balance between explaining every menu command (which he does), and keeping it all rooted in real-world examples. He really knows his stuff, and he sounds like a cool guy you wouldn't mind hanging out with (which is important when you're listening to someone for hours on end).

All the Groove3 packages have at least one free-to-watch segment so you can see if the instructor's style clicks with you.

EDIT: the free videos are the ones NOT grayed out in the list:

https://www.groove3.com/logic-training- ... -Explained
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 12.6 | MOTU 828es | MOTU M4 | Studio One 6 | Logic 10.7

aMUSEd wrote:and the Alchemy one is now split over 2 pages (not very cleverly, performance controls are on both pages), when the Camel one was all in one.
Turns out you can edit the smart controls to display whatever you want and it's all reflected in what shows in the iPad app, which is pretty cool - so now I have all the performance controls on the same page (although I would like to be able to move knob and XY positions too - haven't worked out how to do that yet - or how to save them so they always open for a particular plugin).

Can you move elements around in the smart controls layout? I can assign params but all the layouts seem to be fixed. Also how do you save a layout so it will load with a particular synth every time? There is no save button (or revert if you make a mistake).

Frustratingly this 'tutorial' shows the guy saving a smart control patch but he completely fluffs showing how to do it (it's at 5.04 - can anyone see what the heck he is doing because I can't?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkAoxpDapuE

Still no wiser about how to change a layout - it seems there's just a fixed selection to choose from. I want to make one for Sculpture that includes an XY for the morph pad since the existing one for Sculpture is lame. I also want to create a default Alchemy one that doesn't split the performance controls over 2 pages - whoever made these in the first place really didn't think them through.

Oh great I bought the Groove 3 LPX Explained one and it totally glosses over the Smart controls - presumably because they want you to buy their who set on just that (which I suspect may also not answer my questions as so far I haven't found any useful documentation on this).

Worked out how to make a morph XY for Sculpture myself but still can't see how you save it so it then opens whenever I open Sculpture. Surely they don't expect you to make a separate one for every patch!?

Apart from this I'm feeling more comfortable with LPX now, it's actually very well put together on the whole and really feels very complete. It also opens significantly faster than LP9, which was one of the main reasons I became disenchanted with it.

aMUSEd wrote:Oh great I bought the Groove 3 LPX Explained one and it totally glosses over the Smart controls - presumably because they want you to buy their who set on just that (which I suspect may also not answer my questions as so far I haven't found any useful documentation on this).

Worked out how to make a morph XY for Sculpture myself but still can't see how you save it so it then opens whenever I open Sculpture. Surely they don't expect you to make a separate one for every patch!?
As far as I can tell, smart controls are only stored at the patch level. (Makes sense as they can control multiple instruments/fx at a time.)

Your best bet would be to make a "default" sculpture patch that you use as a starting point/template and just make sure you always load that instead of making a blank track and inserting Sculpture on it. On the bright side, it will save you a few clicks!

I use a lot of Reaktor instruments (Monark, Razor) and I've created patches that just load Reaktor with the correct ensemble. Seems kinda dumb to have a patch just for that, but it works well, and you can search your patch library for it, so that's pretty handy.

Thanks - yeah I did the same thing with channel strips - I have one for each ensemble I use frequently. So maybe I can create smart controls for Reaktor patches too?

What I don't get though is there still must be some way to make a default patch for an instrument - when I load Sculpture I can see smart controls even for third party and my own presets Apple can't have created a smart control patch for so clearly there is some default smart control for Sculpture that loads if a dedicated control hasn't been made for a particular patch. Would be great to be able to change that rather than have to save a new control for every patch.

edit - actually I'm saving a bunch of Padshop patches as aupresets now and there is a 'save as default' menu item now - maybe that does it?

tremolounge wrote:I really like Eli Krantzberg's Logic videos on Groove3 -- he maintains a good balance between explaining every menu command (which he does), and keeping it all rooted in real-world examples. He really knows his stuff, and he sounds like a cool guy you wouldn't mind hanging out with (which is important when you're listening to someone for hours on end).

All the Groove3 packages have at least one free-to-watch segment so you can see if the instructor's style clicks with you.

EDIT: the free videos are the ones NOT grayed out in the list:

https://www.groove3.com/logic-training- ... -Explained
+1. I also recommend the Eli Krantzberg ones. They are to the point and move along at a good pace, not boring. He explains things very well. I watched some of them when I had the All-Pass.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”