Quantizing voice in Melodyne

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I am thinking of trying out a (for me) new kind of sound. What I plan to do is record my vocals and then let my wife record the same song. Next, I would like to put these two lead vocals together, so that her voice is rather much quantized to my performance. (The idea is that the result should sound like one "unisex" voice. I heard on the radio a group called Amazon perform a song called "Kelly" this way, but I can't find it on the Internet as "Amazon" leads to the .com company.)

Of course this could be done by hand in Malodyne, but I wonder if there is an automatic way of doing this, and if so, what version of Melodyne I would need.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sparky-Spark
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I don't know if you can do this in Melodyne but I do know you don't need Melodyne to do it. You should be able to quantise two vocals together in any DAW that implements quantising using transient-based markers, such as Ableton Live's Warp or Studio One's Audio Bend. Which DAW do you use?

As a Sonar user, I would use vocal sync to match the timing of the two vocals. Then I would use Melodyne to quantize the pitch.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Melodyne Editor has sliders that allow you to precisely:
Correct Pitch: center, drift and snap to key
Quantize Time: intensity in percentage, and groove eg 1/8T.
You can also adjust pitch, timing, amplitude and formants for each note/sound.
Free 30 day trial
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Hi,

Thank you all for letting me know and for your great advice!

I'm using MuLab (formerly EnergyXT and Cubase before that) as it doesn't get in the way for me and can be installed so easily (in fact it _isn't_ even installed but just an .exe file so that my students can use it as well anywhere). If I'd grow out of MuLab I would go to Studio One because of its workflow, but I'm afraid it won't be developed any further.

I do have an old light version of Melodyne so perhaps I can use that or find a good upgrade path to a higher and newer version.

What's the "Red Centre of Australia", by the way?

Thanks again,

Sp-Sp
Go MuLab!

Thanks also for showing how to do this in Sonar. It was really impressive!
Go MuLab!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”