Just Bought MixBus 3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

KingClarkie wrote:There's no demo version for mixbus.
No, we do not currently provide a demo of Mixbus. It is our experience that learning a new DAW is a significant investment in a professional's time. We require that users purchase Mixbus, and we provide fast email support to help our customers install Mixbus and learn to use it effectively.
That's the most stupid and illogical excuse for not having a demo I've come across.

It's not completely useless, i mean you can still just use it without 3rd plugins and mix with the built in EQ, Compression, Tape coloring etc. But yes it would have been nice to have a demo version first.

Mixbus is basically a Harrison modified version of "Ardour" https://ardour.org/

I imagine Windows users get more bugs while using Mixbus than people on OSX simply due to the fact that Ardour was programmed as a OSX and Linux exclusive app.
:borg:

aMUSEd wrote:
No, we do not currently provide a demo of Mixbus. It is our experience that learning a new DAW is a significant investment in a professional's time. We require that users purchase Mixbus, and we provide fast email support to help our customers install Mixbus and learn to use it effectively.
That's the most stupid and illogical excuse for not having a demo I've come across.

ever, right?

well it's a flat out untruth of course anyway, but it IS funny. I hadn't read that reply before LOL.

thanks for the laugh :lol:

TheoM wrote:
braj wrote:
That right there would scare me off for good.

there's been a lengthy discussion about it at kvr before.. dev knows, dev doesn't care. No demo. No refunds.
Saved me again. Thanks.

incubus wrote:
TheoM wrote:
braj wrote:

there's been a lengthy discussion about it at kvr before.. dev knows, dev doesn't care. No demo. No refunds.
Saved me again. Thanks.
Keeps me off upgrading ...

I wonder one thing,
with that limited amount of busses I can`t find other usage than stem mixing,
is there something I am missing, does anyone use it for serious full mixing ?
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Omkar wrote:
incubus wrote:
TheoM wrote:
braj wrote:

Saved me again. Thanks.
Keeps me off upgrading ...

I wonder one thing,
with that limited amount of busses I can`t find other usage than stem mixing,
is there something I am missing, does anyone use it for serious full mixing ?
I've done many professional mixes inV2.5 as have many others. I quite liked the restriction of 8 busses - and you can create more if needed.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Warning to those who want to use it with FL Studio vsti/ multi.. it does not sync and the outputs dont show up fyi. Had to find out the hard way. - hopefully it will be addressed soon but until then its not any use for me.

Omkar wrote:.,.with that limited amount of busses I can`t find other usage than stem mixing,is there something I am missing,
It also has regular busses, bus channels, you can create as many as you want afaik. The 8 "mix busses" are just the dedicated busses with Harrison DSP.

As for the no demo policy, I concur. You can't make logic out of that in today's world no matter how or which way you choose to look at it. I mean, they can do what they want with their own property, and I respect that, but explaining that decision to the public will probably never make any sense, no matter the choice of words.

I hate using it for mixing it due to the bugs and incompatibilities. Does sound amazing though. Sometimes I will run a master through it as a last or penultimate "sound-gooder-izing" effect. If they'd sell a Harrison console strip VST just consisting of the bus 3-band eq and saturation you find in the Mixbus, I'd be happy to pay up to $150 for it (I'm a hobbyist) and would use the hell out of it. But Mixbus itself ... life's too short, sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Thanks @all for making aware of the busses,
I must have a closer look into it again then.

Ben is a great and responsive person
but I think the real reason for not providing a demo
should be communicated more open and sincere.

Just received a mail of a free v3.1 update,
maybe this solves a bunch of issues.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

LawrenceF wrote:
Omkar wrote:.,.with that limited amount of busses I can`t find other usage than stem mixing,is there something I am missing,
It also has regular busses, bus channels, you can create as many as you want afaik. The 8 "mix busses" are just the dedicated busses with Harrison DSP.

As for the no demo policy, I concur. You can't make logic out of that in today's world no matter how or which way you choose to look at it. I mean, they can do what they want with their own property, and I respect that, but explaining that decision to the public will probably never make any sense, no matter the choice of words.
Well, neither does logic. Cubey requires a dongle (35+ bones if you don't have one, which would obviously become redundant). So it's not unheard of.

incubus wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:

Well, neither does logic. Cubey requires a dongle (35+ bones if you don't have one, which would obviously become redundant). So it's not unheard of.
Then again, Cubase has a longstanding reputation as a DAW which people can get things done with...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Sure, but it's a drag that in order to try it you've gotta come up with a 1.75 liter of JD. I considering that a waste :hihi:

incubus wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:

as i have said before, apple refund your money for logic up to 3 months after purchase. That's a huge difference. Just hit report a problem on your itunes purchase email for logic from apple. You can even just say you hate the program. Problem solved.

As far as Cubase, the product uses a dongle so there is no feasible way to make a demo without one when the dongle code is so deeply imbedded into the program. Regardless, it is a fully functional demo and the same installer as the full version.

I'm no Steinberg fanboy, but they do provide a demo version of Cubase without requiring a dongle:
steinberg.com wrote: The free Cubase Elements 8 trial version runs for 30 days without any limitations. No registration is required. Just download, install and start recording, editing and mixing your music in exceptional quality. And the Cubase Elements trial version runs without a USB-eLicenser
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/trial.html

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”