Tracktion 7 (Preview)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bio~Rhythm wrote:LV2 plugin Support for the Linux version?
That's the point, for many people it's a showstopper.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

I love Tracktion anyway so I'd be upgrading regardless, but damn that GUI is nice on the eyes...I'm excited about this for sure :clap:
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

jabe wrote:
koolkeys wrote:
TheoM wrote:i'm rarely using it but for the pittance UG prices i am indeed doing that to support development. So i can encourage that Brent :tu: as a good thing as i don't think the user base is all that big, yet they keep on chugging :)
I am definitely planning on it. Every dollar is important these days(especially since I quit my job in December- self employed money is more valuable, lol). But I'm looking to pick up the latest version. Debating whether to pick up V6 and upgrade, or wait for V7.

Brent
Chances are that we've past the date where new T6 purchasers get T7 for nothing. But don't quote me on that.
I may inquire about this. While I DO want to support the devs, I also don't want to pay twice when money is tight, for a host that I probably won't use too much at the moment(though you never know, especially considering I used Tracktion for so long and was a member of the beta team for quite a while- I'll always have a place in my heart for Tracktion!).

Brent
My host is better than your host

I like the Tracktion paradigm a lot and the developers of Tracktion have implimented over time many features I like e.g. hybrid-buffers, Racks, Step Clips, etc. This latest upgrade seems very good as well, the gui was unfriendly to the eyes so the new gui improvements was definitely needed. I bought Tracktion last year and have not done a single project in it yet but have been slowly learning it and will definitely begin creating music with it soon. I'm a loyal Sonar user since birth but have been getting fed up with Cakewalk over the years and want to learn another DAW just incase I decide to leave Sonar (that day may be soon). Tracktion seem like it fits me better than other DAWs judging by its feature set and the little time I spent exploring it. Plus the price of Traction is extremely low. I will be buying the latest Tracktion 7 upgrade and will put it to use soon.
T2 Icarus is a must. SonicCore SCOPE is the most. As heart of studio it has my vote, cause XITE-1 is all she wrote.

That main guy is (imo) an exceptional developer and it was inevitable that *if* his interest in doing that was fully there that the product would move forward really well and it appears to be doing that.

Looks great. :tu:

I adopted Ableton Live after the great Mackie let down, and am now hopelessly wed to session view, M4L and Push. I can't see myself coming back to Tracktion full time, but I upgrade every year to support the devs, and always enjoy checking out the new features and improvements with my old projects, and some new ones too. Tracktion is too good an old friend to abandon.

Looking forward to T7.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

I currently use Studio one instead of Logic and Live but and also like to play with Tracktion.
Some plugins GUI are jerky and I hope T7 solved that.
Anyway, I will upgrade my licence from T6, and I did from T5,T4,T3,T2 and T1. :hihi:

really good to read so many of us upgrading to support the dev :tu:

TheoM wrote:really good to read so many of us upgrading to support the dev :tu:
It is. :tu:

I gave most of my "community goodwill" to Reaper (and MixBuss to some degree) in that regard, so I don't so I don't really buy stuff I don't regularly use anymore, but it's good to see that spirit still alive. :tu:

But yeah, I supported Reaper financially long before it was what I'd consider a usable full time daw, way, way back in v1. Sometimes you throw a few bucks in just to support something. :tu:

I'm upgrading because I like Tracktion and use it most often.

aMUSEd wrote:
Me too , I use and abuse Tracktion ...

I like Tracktion overall, but the MIDI editing is not really its forte...

xx JPRacer xx wrote:I like Tracktion overall, but the MIDI editing is not really its forte...
Same feeling here. Piano roll keeps jumping in and out of view, never know where copied notes will be pasted, difficult to keep track of things when zooming in out or scrolling. There may be useful functions that I'm unaware of that would help me, but it's definitely a part of Tracktion that isn't as intuitive, easy and fast as the other parts.

On the plus side I managed to complete a short video scoring project using the movie function in Tracktion (in Windows 7): used Sony Vegas Movie Studio to extract the sound track from the video and convert the video to (a reduced size) mp4, put the sound in its own track in Tracktion and set the movie file. Worked flawlessly. The sound extraction workaround was needed to get sound from the video, and it just felt safer to work with a lightweight video file (my PC isn't super powerful). Video integration is badly documented (no manual, not covered by Edstrom's book), so I'm happy to have found a method that works for me.

Looking forward to T7 :party: This thing has been getting better fast since it came back to daddy.

aMUSEd wrote:

well that's the best reason of course :tu:

for me too i always know that if i am ever portable and dual platform i always have a lightweight daw i can turn to, so there's that to. But it's not my primary, but i totes get it that it is for many people as it's a great daw! and SUPER easy to use.

I used Tracktion back in the day but the Mackie debacle caused me to switch to Live. I upgraded to T6 to support the dev's but rarely use it... I'll upgrade to T7 for the same reason... I appreciate the creative development. They actually do features in interesting and unusual ways. Like others, I'm also happy to support them at that upgrade price! :-)

The new GUI looks improved, but I just don't like the inline editing. Too much frustration having to zoom and navigate around constantly. I use Bitwig these days (for the MPE support) and it is such a pleasure to have the single key command to switch to the full size multi-clip/track editor. The editor and the arrangement retain their zoom settings. I find it less confusing than in Tracktion where it is too easy to lose track (pardon the pun) of where you are.

I also just miss a visually reliable mixer view in Tracktion. There is too much variability (size and position) so that the eye (at least in my case) doesn't easily grasp what is going on at a glance. Makes more mental work.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”