Pure Data in your DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Haven't tested this yet, and in all honesty, I don't know that I will any time soon, given my current schedule/work-load, but it may be of interest to those so inclined.

{aside} IIRC, "n-Track" was a freebie host distributed with Computer Music magazine for quite awhile, way back... then baring/pending further development (?) and/or the availability of more robust and 'task-specific' and accessible options like 'Ableton Live', it kind-of went off the radar for the most part... but not unlike Traction, energyXT, and Metro (to name but a few), it was/is still being developed, unbeknownst to the masses.

Regardless, it is here, and claims: "Pure Data Support. You can now load your Pure Data patches inside n-Track and use your favorite sounds and effects in your song."

Could be just me, but I am not aware of any other mainstream DAW offering this.... could prove very worthwhile.

http://en.ntrack.com/index.php#new-in-version-8
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:Haven't tested this yet, and in all honesty, I don't know that I will any time soon, given my current schedule/work-load, but it may be of interest to those so inclined.

{aside} IIRC, "N-track" was a freebie host distributed with Computer Music magazine for quite awhile, way back... then baring/pending further development (?) and/or the availability of more robust and 'task-specific' and accessible options like 'Ableton Live', it kind-of went off the radar for the most part... but not unlike Traction, energyXT, and Metro (to name but a few), it was/is still being developed, unbeknownst to the masses.

Regardless, it is here, and claims: "Pure Data Support. You can now load your Pure Data patches inside n-Track and use your favorite sounds and effects in your song."

Could be just me, but I am not aware of any other mainstream DAW offering this.... could prove very worthwhile.

http://en.ntrack.com/index.php#new-in-version-8
I saw that the other day. sounds really interesting!

i clicked the link but their website doesn't really explain what pure data is?
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

I'd be more excited if I didn't already have Max for Live...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

qtheerearranger wrote:i clicked the link but their website doesn't really explain what pure data is?
Duh, it's data that is pure.

qtheerearranger wrote:i clicked the link but their website doesn't really explain what pure data is?
As far as i understood it, something like SynthEdit, just for nerds. :P

Pure Data is a free open source sibling of Max/MSP.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:I'd be more excited if I didn't already have Max for Live...
That's pretty much where I am. As interesting as this is, I just upgraded a couple of days ago from Live 7 standard, to Live 9.5 suite w/Max, as it was the same price as going to 9.5 standard+Max. Basically been hedging on an upgrade since Max4Live came out, but didn't want the headaches so many people experienced with Live 8. That said: I love the seamless integration of Max goodies. The potential, and the available toys, finally got the better of my resistance. I didn't have any "projects" to transfer, or any of the associated compatibility nightmares, and it has been 'working' flawlessly both on my machines, and with all of my external hardware (which is Live-integrated), sooo. 8)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Radium supported this already in 2013.

Only Linux though.

That's interesting. I didn't know n-track was still around to be honest; it was the first DAW I really played with way back when (probably the only shareware app of any power at that time to be honest) though was always crashing on my (probably underpowered) PC at the time. Kind of cute they still promote 'live input processing' as a feature. :)

Tempted to give it a whirl, some great stuff available in PD.

kmatheussen wrote:Radium supported this already in 2013.

Only Linux though.
What is that Grid pic from?

GaryG wrote:That's interesting. I didn't know n-track was still around to be honest; it was the first DAW I really played with way back when (probably the only shareware app of any power at that time to be honest) though was always crashing on my (probably underpowered) PC at the time. Kind of cute they still promote 'live input processing' as a feature. :)

Tempted to give it a whirl, some great stuff available in PD.
First Daw I bought too (or it might have been Muzys) and regretted as it was more crashy than a blind drunken clown on a broken unicycle in a minefield.

But I was a n00b back then
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Still have to wonder at this point why no DAW has Synthedit built in, it would be unbelievable
Duh

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”