E-Licenser rubbish...!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought a really expensive software instrument. I have many many of them. All of them are really nice and I use them on my TWO systems. I dont use an elicenser because my laptop has only 3 ports (one for my interface, one for mouse and one for my usb stick) and I dont want to use a hub, my laptop has problems with realizing everything on the hub. And I use an ilok and I dont want to use one more lisencer...

Now I can only use the software with the elisence on ONE system because I need a elisencer . Is there any way to use it also on a second system without spending another 250 euros/280 dollars???

But this vst plugin has also a second problem: I cannot change the folder too. Many stuff I dont like on this plugin...

Thanks for ANY help!

Answer is simple, obvious, easy and clear:

NEVER EVER use anything with a f**king pace/ilok/elicenser. The only function they provide to the world is to make our lives shit.

No, you can't. But frankly when you buy a hardware synth do you complain because there's not two units inside when unpacking ? :wink:

.jon wrote:Answer is simple, obvious, easy and clear:

NEVER EVER use anything with a f**king pace/ilok/elicenser. The only function they provide to the world is to make our lives shit.
We have a winner :party:

budweiser wrote:No, you can't. But frankly when you buy a hardware synth do you complain because there's not two units inside when unpacking ? :wink:
There should be :lol: ..no seriously, Some companies will allow one license to be used on more than one system. I have AIR plugins using soft iLok and I can use those plugins on my 2 computers.

Others like Nexus2 require dongle and e-licenser. I have to move my dongle between computers. But I never do of course and I basically stopped using Nexus2 because of it. They clearly told me I must buy a second license if I want to use it on 2 computers. So I will not buy anything more from them ..that's my solution to their blood sucking policy.

On the other hand I did only pay for one license so I can't really argue with them either
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:
budweiser wrote:No, you can't. But frankly when you buy a hardware synth do you complain because there's not two units inside when unpacking ? :wink:
There should be :lol: ..no seriously, Some companies will allow one license to be used on more than one system. I have AIR plugins using soft iLok and I can use those plugins on my 2 computers.

Others like Nexus2 require dongle and e-licenser. I have to move my dongle between computers. But I never do of course and I basically stopped using Nexus2 because of it. They clearly told me I must buy a second license if I want to use it on 2 computers. So I will not buy anything more from them ..that's my solution to their blood sucking policy.

On the other hand I did only pay for one license so I can't really argue with them either
Actually you could use the eLicenser dongle on any computer you want but not use the same license at on 2 cpmuter at once except f you got a second eLicenser dongle and license.

Most plugins (or better the EULA for those) including those with a simple serial do not allow using a license at more than one computer AT THE SAME TIME but they allow installing it on multiple computers as long as you use it only at one of them at the same time.
Of course several people will ignore this and will use that serial protected plugin at more than one computer at once as with this method there is nothing that could prevent it.

If you say you got a dongle with the license but don't want to move it to another computer it's really your problem, not that of the developer. They offer an option to use a license on multiple computers but it's just not the way you like it.

Of course if you really want to use it at 2 computers without moving the dongle then they will tell you that you must buy a second license. With eLicenser technically it does not even seem to be possible to use the same license at 2 computers at once.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Daft idea approaching - I've used drives on one computer on another via a network. So if you plug the dongle in one and then share it, would that be enough to use the licence on any PC on your network? Just a thought, it might not work. I expect some people take their PCs offline and disable networking when doing music stuff.
Last edited by jabe on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Ingonator wrote:
ATN69 wrote:

Actually you could use the eLicenser dongle on any computer you want but not use the same license at on 2 cpmuter at once except f you got a second eLicenser dongle and license.

Most plugins (or better the EULA for those) including those with a simple serial do not allow using a license at more than one computer AT THE SAME TIME but they allow installing it on multiple computers as long as you use it only at one of them at the same time.
Of course several people will ignore this and will use that serial protected plugin at more than one computer at once as with this method there is nothing that could prevent it.

If you say you got a dongle with the license but don't want to move it to another computer it's really your problem, not that of the developer. They offer an option to use a license on multiple computers but it's just not the way you like it.

Of course if you really want to use it at 2 computers without moving the dongle then they will tell you that you must buy a second license. With eLicenser technically it does not even seem to be possible to use the same license at 2 computers at once.
I already know I can move the dongle and if I choose not to do that it is my problem. But the matter of the fact is that I been working all my adult life with hardware, acoustics and electronics. I know exactly how sensitive those USB devices are, especially for ESD. Your only chance if your USB dongle break down is that you have to send it back to the supplier (ReFex in my case) and hope that they can extract information from it. If not, your license is lost and you need to buy a new license. For me that is not an acceptable deal, so I just stay away from those.

Yes, there is iLok software version and it works fine for me. I never had any problem with it and I think it is a much better alternative than USB dongle. I never tried the soft e-licenser but I do believe also that is better than USB dongle.

I actually don't use my computers at the same time. One is at my office and I use it for my daily work and one is at home. I agree that I buy one license and that's it. However, most software developers and companies are quite nice and generous on this point (except a few exceptions). Many allow up to 3 registrations actually. But as a customer and consumer I can choose and I simply choose not to buy products from those who have a poor customer policy. Simple!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Dongles are history imo, who is going to have multiple dongles stuck in their 11" tablet now or in a few years time in their tablet or phone when desktops are dust? It's pushing it at the moment with laptops imo, I've broken two and won't use them ever again... the broken dongles were nearly as bad as not having a dongle when a plan changes (really need to have multiple dongles or them all on a key ring/necklace for that not to happen).

If it comes to buying a second license, buy an alternative. Do that anyway, because dongles only really make sense with single desktops imo.

crazyfiltertweaker wrote:I bought a really expensive software instrument.
When analysing a problem you must find its root.

First,It seems you both bought a product without first checking the licencing policy attached to it.

Lesson learned, you won't do that again.

Many of us have made the same mistake.

Second, the solution is to use a dongle allowing the software to be used on any machine, you use the soft eLicencer and use it on one machine or buy a 2nd licence. You state none of these are reasonable solutions in your case.

Third, you sell the software and the perceived problem no longer exists.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Groundhog #31684 wrote:Dongles are history imo, who is going to have multiple dongles stuck in their 11" tablet now or in a few years time in their tablet or phone when desktops are dust?
I don't see desktops (in one form or another) going away. Even if the industry made a massive shift to small mobile devices, there would be a huge market for docking stations. How else am I going to use my twin 27" monitors?

flugel45 wrote:
Groundhog #31684 wrote:Dongles are history imo, who is going to have multiple dongles stuck in their 11" tablet now or in a few years time in their tablet or phone when desktops are dust?
I don't see desktops (in one form or another) going away. Even if the industry made a massive shift to small mobile devices, there would be a huge market for docking stations. How else am I going to use my twin 27" monitors?
Most people use USB hubs anyway these days as there are always more USB devices than people have ports for. Easy to just attach a dongle or 2 to a USB hub and forget it - they don't exactly take up any bandwidth.

flugel45 wrote:
You could always place a few 68.58cm oldskool monitors around your shared HoloLensFree virtual studio I suppose, on a virtual desk with a virtual docking station, complete with virtual USB dongles next to a virtual lava lamp. :tu:

Seriously though, the docking station is a good example of one use case of small devices. Dongles would make taking the device out of that situation very unwieldy though (as they already do). But I think that this (plus whatever new display tech comes along) is the future, at least for a increasing percentage of new users.

I think dongled software will have to come at an increased premium over time to compensate for this change. Or they could drop the dongle. There's software I'd use that has a dongle if it didn't, I know there are lots of people who feel the same way.

jabe wrote:Daft idea approaching - I've used drives on one computer on another via a network. So if you plug the dongle in one and then share it, would that be enough to use the licence on any PC on your network? Just a thought, it might not work. I expect some people take their PCs offline and disable networking when doing music stuff.
No, because the soft elicenser, as it's called, is tied to the computer originally installed to. I think too, you have to install to the OS drive but could be wrong about this.

You can't share usb devices of this type - they're locked out from this. While these do store data files of the licenses, you can't store just any type of data and share like you normally would a thumb drive.

You can switch the license to another computer but what a hassle to do so.

The best way to make use of your license, for those software that require this type of security, is to use the dongle. This way it's fairly hassle free. Just unplug and plug in to the computer you want to use. You still have to have the software (ilok, elicenser, etc.) installed on the computer you want to use though.

So, do like Ingo and Varikus suggested - get over it or sell it and forget it and use something that doesn't require you to jump through hoops to be supportive of the dev.
Last edited by dsan@mail.com on Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

elicenser, ilok and codemeter already have (somewhat uneven between dev with ilok) auth to harddrive option, as inconvenient as they both still are. Either usb or use it over vienna ensemble.

IMO buying a 2nd license is least of the problem, it's upgrades like DAW that kills the idea quick (well they're on highway to hell with subscriptions so maybe it's a forgone problem regardless...)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”