E-Licenser rubbish...!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dongle licenser should be like car key with time limitation, 1 week or so, and can be extended by connecting physical dongle or online dongle.

What happens if tomorrow my elicencer decides to stop working? I've always wondered with it being always plugged in and ive had it for many years now (it came with my Korg Legacy digital edition but now hosts my cubase, halion sonic and largo licences among other things...

Ps. I hope workstations arent on their way out... Nothing beats a fixed desktop machine with a keyboard, mouse, place for your music gear and bucketloads of cpu cycles to spare... A tablet can never replace that for me... They seem more like a device for consuming than anything else...

Who is actually replacing a workstation for a tablet or even a laptop anyway???

fallacy wrote:What happens if tomorrow my elicencer decides to stop working? I've always wondered with it being always plugged in and ive had it for many years now (it came with my Korg Legacy digital edition but now hosts my cubase, halion sonic and largo licences among other things...
Your Steinberg licenses are safe, because your licenses get restored when your eLicenser breaks (the info is transmitted, and they show up in your Steinberg account). For the other companies, i read you can try to contact them, and they will often confirm your license with a valid proof of purchase, so those are safe too then.

Actually, i prefer iLok to eLicenser now, because many plugins offer software only protection, and you can transfer your plugins without a dongle. The iLok dongle looks more robust too.

Ah thats good but I can see how its annoying... I am always a bit surprised at just how annoyed people get at dongles... Apart from portability can someone enlighten me as to what sucks so bad?

The software elicencers have always scared me a bit due to the obvious thought of 'what if my computer stops working' but specifically the iLok software has proven to be relatively painless...

What sucks for me is that, obviously, you have to occupy a USB port. Fortunately, my keyboard has a USB hub, so i can stick if there which is pretty handy, because it keeps my front USB ports unoccupied. :) Apart from that, i can understand that people are a bit scared to lose their licenses. Especially the USB eLicensers are pretty fragile. I have 2, and both already have the plastic blown off on the edges, because the construction with 2 parts is made so that it has to break sooner or later due to the tension. I fixed that by wrapping sellotape around it, which works quite well.

Anyway, i don't hate dongles, but i don't love them either. There's loads of companies who obviously think they can do without, so it would be nice to do without it really. Especially for portable setups like Macbooks and the likes it's pretty sucky having to have a USB stick plugged in.

Interesting conversation. At Dancefair this year I noticed this is what Tom Swoon needs to take his production setup on the road. There's three dongles in that USB hub. Nuts! :)

AFAIK all the software that requires a dongle is also cracked. So I don't see the point in punishing paying customers with these things. Indeed, it's one of the most common reasons we see paying customers of dongalized software running cracks themselves.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Image-Line wrote: AFAIK all the software that requires a dongle is also cracked.
Regards Scott

Nope, wrong. There are elicenser and codemeter products that remain uncracked to this very day on either mac or win. (reason for example has not been cracked since V6, not even remotely).

Also on mac, most ilok remains safe.

TheoM wrote:
Image-Line wrote: AFAIK all the software that requires a dongle is also cracked.
Regards Scott

Nope, wrong. There are elicenser and codemeter products that remain uncracked to this very day on either mac or win. (reason for example has not been cracked since V6, not even remotely).

I am sure you are right but the fact is that you can find Nexus2 cracked, just to take one example, and it is a sign that e-license with dongle is not a water tight security system. Nexus2 is my only plugin that require e-licenser and dongle.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

TheoM wrote:
Regards Scott

Perhaps it is just a lack of interest/demand?

https://www.google.com.au/trends/explor ... c%2FGMT-10

EDIT: On the other hand, I see a lot of Reason 8 crack downloads...all fake?

Regards Scott
Last edited by Image-Line on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

ATN69 wrote:I am sure you are right but the fact is that you can find Nexus2 cracked, just to take one example, and it is a sign that e-license with dongle is not a water tight security system. Nexus2 is my only plugin that require e-licenser and dongle.
Indeed. Nexus is so widely cracked that we often get irate customers wondering where Nexus is when they (finally) decide to purchase FL Studio :?

Regards Scott

Dongles are for snobs.

Maybe interest in Reason has declined since it hasn't been cracked.

Obviously the question of what comes first first is interesting: crack or popularity? I am betting on the first.
dedication to flying

Being a noob I would buy Reason immediately. If it had VST support.

I dont think its lack of interest. They 'crack' free stuff ffs

Maybe they just cant crack some ilok stuff

AnX wrote:I dont think its lack of interest. They 'crack' free stuff ffs

Maybe they just cant crack some ilok stuff
iLok is pretty much completely defeated both on Mac and on PC. It's the hardware eLicenser products that so far have seen the strongest protection. But it's only a few Steinberg's own products anyway that use the hardware only protection.
No signature here!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”