Reaper 5.2: Notation Editor Added

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Actually there's a new build for Linux posted not that long ago... so they're making some strides in making it work for Linux without Wine.

LawrenceF wrote:I actually took Robert's comment as a compliment... but maybe I interpreted it wrong.

It is KVR though so... the tendency is to see negativity. :)
It was a point of praise and criticism.

I am actually curious what people think 'stable' is though. Reaper certainly doesn't crash often (if at all), but I personally encounter bugs nearly every time I use it. They get fixed frequently, but due to the prevelence of them, I wouldn't consider it 'stable'.

Then again, some folks are happy as long as they can keep on rocking even if they find a small bug.

It's an interesting thing. Both good, and bad.

edit: fwiw, Reaper is not my main DAW, but I do use it quite frequently (multiple times a day) for quick sketches and testing things.

pc999 wrote:
glokraw wrote: Reaper is also the most stable daw in the linux market. :wink:
Reaper is not supported on Linux, and I can barelly launch it on wine, you may need some voodoo hacks to get it rolling.

On the other hand Bitwig works flawless, Tracktion works well too (but I have only tried its features), if somone want linux I wouldnt recomend reaper.
Support does not equal stability. A couple nights ago, I was sequencing and effecting z3ta+ on an old 512 meg P4, reaper 5.20, booted from a ubunto lucid based puppy linux CD, with an 8 gig squashfilesystem full of other vsts that work.

I have never had a serious issue between reaper and wine, since before
wine 1.0, and reaper 2.04. Most people lack properly compatible hardware,
but my main systems are cheaply duplicated,

maudio pci soundcard
nvidia graphics card
Remove pulseaudio.
Install wine and wineasio, and register wineasio with a command

wine regsvr32 wineasio.dll or wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll

I put a reaper folder in /home/me and install reaper there, and start
with command wine reaper/reaper.exe

Also, Studio 1337 pclinuxos and mint 17 with kx repositories added
all work well, Studio 1337 on an SSD is very very fast :hyper: :party: :hyper:

It's also bad luck to 'upgrade just because', if things are working fine.
Plenty of Spearcatcher Penquins exist, who routinely sacrifice themselves
to the unknown, on behalf of the wise. :wink:

Linux Bitwig is very nice, hope to be a customer someday, same with
Traction, but Mixbus is ahead in the line.
Cheers

Robert Randolph wrote:I am actually curious what people think 'stable' is though.
Kind of a loaded question. :) I consider stable something that works reliably enough to do what it was designed to do without much hassle, which is almost every music software I've ever purchased, probably way up in the high 90 percentile range.

I don't own any software that's never crashed ever (and I tend to ignore people who say that about any complex consumer software) from any version of Windows to Reaper and Vegas and Corel Draw and everything in between, but everything I run is reliable enough to not ever be an issue.

If a demo crashes a lot on my system, I don't buy it. The only daw I own that crashes more than what I consider normal is MixBus 2.

When you ask on the net though, there's too many unknowns, and different systems, and everything is a contest or an argument about some meaningless supposed universal truth, when the real truth is that people are making records and scoring movies and most everything else with all of them.

So... no idea? :)

I'll bet you were aware of mixbuss stability issues, and bought it anyway, based on
a good price and brighter future prospects. I'll also bet you wouldn't drop Cubased size money
on a daw where forum posts showed similar tendencies. Sensible on both counts.

Also true about Olympic sized arguments over competing universal truths.
Probably a good thing, to the degree it generates click revenues for websites,
with ads helping sales to devs to keep new features coming.
Cheers

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”