Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:
DJBuddhaBear wrote:Refills --

1) Anything by Pink Noise
Amen to that, Pink Noise Studio is the best, either for Reason or Kontakt :tu:
There are a couple I don't have, so during the sale I am definitely getting them. I have heard great things about Proton.3. :D

Numanoid wrote:
DJBuddhaBear wrote:Refills --

1) Anything by Pink Noise
Amen to that, Pink Noise Studio is the best, either for Reason or Kontakt :tu:
Yeah, PNS Refills are fantastic. :tu:

Every Reason owner should own all the PNS Refills, but if you need a place to start, I'd start at Deepflight and Analogue Monsters 3. With the sales, these are no-brainer prices.
DJBuddhaBear wrote:Yeah, the rigs are a great deal. I had already purchased so many individually before they came out with them that it won't work for me.
The V2 rigs were announced not too long ago, and they're already on sale (€199 each, down from €299).

But if things hold true to form, they'll go even lower around Christmas. I think they went down to €129 each last year. That's ridiculously good value if you don't own any/many of the Rack Extensions & Refills in a bundle. And it could seriously piss you off if you do. :x

So people might want to think about waiting on buying any Refills that are featured in any of the V2 bundles.
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

I've been trying to find a couple of refills I used to own.

One was all arpeggiated sounds,
and one was full of nature sounds.

The reason I ask is because I want to revisit a track I did ages ago, but I can't find my refills.
I used them in this track

https://soundcloud.com/spaceman/1-billion-ad
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Has anyone noticed the similarity to the Logic X update? That also brought Melodyne style pitch editing to the sequencer and midi player devices for easy chords and arps. I think Propellerheads are running out of new ideas and are now just playing a game of catch up with Logic, Cubase and Pro Tools.

I think Reason's strong point is as a writing tool for electronic music. That's what they need to concentrate on in terms of features. And not on stuff that the other big Daws like Pro Tools already do well. Purely in terms of beat making functionality they are areas where Reason has fallen behind other popular tools like Live (Ableton), Flstudio and Maschine.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

eXode wrote:
kae wrote:
stroker_ace wrote:And at the end of the day, Reason is just not up to snuff. This is from Greg Boyd in the Rack Extensionists Facebook group:

"Had the pleasure of talking to Steve Duda over the weekend at Imsta! I asked some questions concerning Serum, and why it hasn't made its way to Reason. He told me Propellerhead approach him twice at NAMM, and really wanted Serum! He said he was game, but the only problem was that you can't port wave tables into serum like the vst version, it had to be preset based. Steve had to turn it down..."
That part is just sad. PH need to get moving with their SDK. They can't use years to implement even the most basic stuff. 4 years has passed and it's still in its infancy.
Serum is one of the most popular and best sounding synths in the market. And the developer even is interested in porting it. Then they need to sit down with Duda (& other devs) and ask them what they need and begin to meet those requests/demands.
Not only Serum, Reveal Sound with Spire have also showed interest in the RE platform but decided that they have to put it on hold because of current SDK limitations.
Sad. I guess it's the same for many other as well. I don't get why the development of the SDK is so slow. Do they have a roadmap for the SDK or are they just as tight lipped about the SDK as they are about their products?

@stroker_ace Agreed! Analogue Monsters 3 is fantastic as is Deep Flight. I really like Analog Nights because I used to own the original Yamaha keyboard. I am excited to get Proton.3 probably today.

I own too many of the RE and refills for the rigs to really work for me now, but if I was doing it all over again, I would definitely wait for sales and take advantage of them. :)

kae wrote:Do they have a roadmap for the SDK or are they just as tight lipped about the SDK as they are about their products?
They probably have a roadmap but only props themselves know about it. :)

Not that we really need Spire or Serum. When we have Zero, Parsec, Antidote and Thor. And these can be combined together as modular synth monster creations using the combinator.

And can always grab a cheap or freeware VSTi host if you were that desperate for Spire, Serum, Sylenth1, Monark or Diva.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote:Not that we really need Spire or Serum. When we have Zero, Parsec, Antidote and Thor. And these can be combined together as modular synth monster creations using the combinator.
Your comment indicates that you lack a basic understanding of the differences between these synths. Also, ask yourself how your attitude is helping the RE platform to grow, when you're telling people to accept limitations?

I don't mind people being fanboys for the right reasons (I consider myself a fan of Reason), but when you try to find excuses or a stupid work around for things that should be a basic necessity then it becomes non productive.

So to be clear, I'm not asking for Serum or Spire SPECIFICALLY, but I am asking for the support in the RE platform for developers to create a similar device in terms of features.

Totally agree with eXode. And to add my subjective opinion: I think Reason's internal devices, as the existing RE are not up to par with the quality of the latest generations of VST soft synths. With a pinch of salt, as i wrote, just my 2c. But having stuff like Spire, Sylenth1 (even that although it's kinda long in the teeth now), Serum or Monark as RE's would be quite fantastic for the Reason users. Now that they have the ability to implement third party plugins in their host (i personally never was a friend of opening up that way tbh, but obviously they needed to calm down the part of the user base which always begged for VST support).

eXode wrote:]

Your comment indicates that you lack a basic understanding of the differences between these synths. Also, ask yourself how your attitude is helping the RE platform to grow, when you're telling people to accept limitations?

I don't mind people being fanboys for the right reasons (I consider myself a fan of Reason), but when you try to find excuses or a stupid work around for things that should be a basic necessity then it becomes non productive.

So to be clear, I'm not asking for Serum or Spire SPECIFICALLY, but I am asking for the support in the RE platform for developers to create a similar device in terms of features.
Reason being a closed platform has always been about limitations. If you fail to embrace the limitations you should probably be looking elsewhere. A lot of the best music is made limitations.

In any case show me what I am failing to understand that cannot be achieved sonically with clever programming and the combinator in Reason right now?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: In any case show me what I am failing to understand that cannot be achieved sonically with clever programming and the combinator?
The question is, what is your demand? You can use Synth1 and its onboard fx for everything you do, depending on your demand. Whenever i hear "show me something i can't do with synth XY" i wonder though what exactly people mean to achieve though. For example, for specific music genres, you'd need a synth with certain characteristics, unless you want to rely on fx'ing the cr** out of it, to make this or that sound, or to generally make it sound suited for the sounds you want to create. I have yet to hear a good EDM soundset for Thor for example. It just sounds plain boring, uninspiring, and clinical to me. As i wrote, a matter of your demands. If "good enough" is always good enough for you, then so be it.

v1o wrote:In any case show me what I am failing to understand that cannot be achieved sonically with clever programming and the combinator in Reason right now?
You can start by showing me how to load my own user-created wavetables into Antidote (for an example). :)

I'm willing to agree to disagree though. If you can't see/don't agree with me that limitations for the RE developer is also a limitation for the user, then so be it.

chk071 wrote:Totally agree with eXode. And to add my subjective opinion: I think Reason's internal devices, as the existing RE are not up to par with the quality of the latest generations of VST soft synths. With a pinch of salt, as i wrote, just my 2c. But having stuff like Spire, Sylenth1 (even that although it's kinda long in the teeth now), Serum or Monark as RE's would be quite fantastic for the Reason users. Now that they have the ability to implement third party plugins in their host (i personally never was a friend of opening up that way tbh, but obviously they needed to calm down the part of the user base which always begged for VST support).
They are not up to par only if you completely ignore Reason's modular paradigm. I have real analogue modular here and quite honestly in terms of sonics Reason stuff is up there quality-wise with the best of digital apart from probably only Monark.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I disagree. Fair enough. :) But what does Reason's modular paradigm have to do with sound quality?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”